Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't done much hunting at all yet this year but I had the itch after work today and just enough time before dark.

I decided to go to a spot I briefly hit last year at the very end of hunting season. The last time it was almost dark, it was cold and I got a nice high, deep hit. My "lifetime guarantee" digging tool broke and I was unable to recover the target but I made a mental note to go back at some point.

So tonight, I did. I went to the same area I had paced out last year and found the same high, deep hit; a solid 84. This time I was well prepared. My intuition was telling me it was gonna' be worth the trip.

I dug and dug and about 9 INCHES down I found my oldest coin yet; an 1807 Draped Bust LC with a date I can actually read. This is only my 2nd LC and my first is truly toasted. Thankfully, this one isn't and I couldn't be happier.

Here she is with a smudge of olive oil to show the detail:

Oldest LC Yet!! 001.JPG

And here's the flip side; the shot's a tad out of focus but nevertheless:

Oldest LC Yet!! 002.JPG

It's back in the olive oil now and I think that's where it's gonna' live for a while.

I'm really tickled. I knew something was in that hole all winter long but given this location, this is the last thing I expected. I feel like I'm off to a good start for this season. I also got permission to hunt a 175 year old property this afternoon so overall, it's been a good day.

I've also found three junk rings on two ball fields (#'s 22, 23 & 24) and a pile of clad and trash so far but I'll post the ring pics later. For now I'm gonna' just bask in my LC glory.

I LOVE this hobby. To think that a coin can lay in the dirt for 200 years and I can just come along, locate it in a matter of minutes, dig it up and bring it home just never ceases to amaze me.

I know I've been really obnoxious bragging up my Tek Delta 4000 since the day I got it but I have to do it at least one more time. This target was deep and it rang out loud and clear. I LOVE this machine. I had planned another upgrade this year but I'm thinkin" I just may save my money for a while and see how it goes.

It's really good to be back on T'net. This is my favorite time of the year.

Happy Hunting to all.

Last edited:
Upvote 11

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one came out better than most, really nice coin!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful old coin, and amazing that you were able to find this target again. I have to pass up some targets in spring because of frozen ground, and it is nearly impossible to find them again. Great job and find.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LC's with dates don't come under my coil often, but when they do, I really appreciate them because the majority are so toasted I am lucky to get enough detail to identify the variety. Great job on recovering your oldest YET. More to come I'll bet!

PhillyMike68

Nov 27, 2013
Philadelphia
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, AT PRO, XP DEUS,CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm no coin expert but i swear by olive oil, i found a 1723 woods hibernia 1/2 penny that i didn't even know what it was. I put it in the oil and after a few days the detail that shows is unreal. Its been sitting ever since and a can now get a date off of it.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a beautiful old coin, and amazing that you were able to find this target again. I have to pass up some targets in spring because of frozen ground, and it is nearly impossible to find them again. Great job and find.

Thank you and thanks to all.

I actually paced this target between two trees when I was there last. 17 paces and sure enough it was still there loud and clear. Honestly, I was hoping for silver. Most of the coins in this spot are 1960's and early 70's and there's iron everywhere. I got one 1965 dime today. I dig those '65's all the time but the 64's are so elusive.

BTW, I have a sister who used to live in St. Paul MN and I used to go up there when I was a kid. I don't envy your frozen ground in Spring. That's the COLDEST place I've ever visited in my life (in February).

Although, I did go on an amazing camping trip in Northern MN in July one year. It was SO beautiful up there. The weather in summer is surprisingly like Maryland with the humidity from all of those lakes.

Last edited:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like a dateable draped bust!, like OD said, hard to come by!!!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like a dateable draped bust!, like OD said, hard to come by!!!

Yup. It's my first really readable one. The first took weeks of soaking to make out the date and even then, it had to be at just the right angle in just the right light. It almost doesn't count imo.

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice draped! I personally enjoy pulling LC's from the ground. There's a mystery after the find, cleaning, etc.

Congrats!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the old LC brother. Very nice find! Good to see you hunting!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the old LC brother. Very nice find! Good to see you hunting!

Thanks.
This one was a really nice surprise. It's always nice to able to scratch one off the list. It's amazing how you can dig 100's of holes and find one really cool target to make it all worthwhile.

I'm also getting inspired/psyched to get out there. The fever (or should I say addiction) has returned. As soon as I knock off work I'll be out there.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job buddy. Very nice find

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love those Old Coppers

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job buddy. Very nice find

Thanks. The Tek is off to a good start so far. Best Craigslist deal I ever got.

I've been hunting with no disc whatsoever lately and I'm beginning to fool around with my all metal modes. It definitely adds some different new dimensions to the hunt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent save!
WTG!

So, how deep, is "deep"? :)

Thanks.

It was around 9 inches; at least. But I guess after a few hundred years they do tend to sink a bit.

Most of my targets are anywhere from 2-7 inches on average. Anything over 7-8 inches is "deep" for me. I know I'm REALLY happy I didn't scratch it.

Funny thing about my detector. Sometimes my really deep targets turn out to be the smallest ones. This thing will pick up really tiny pieces of foil and other small items way down. It's amazing. I dug up an old bullet at about 10 inches a few days ago. Looks like maybe what's left of a .38 slug.

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. The Tek is off to a good start so far. Best Craigslist deal I ever got.

I've been hunting with no disc whatsoever lately and I'm beginning to fool around my all metal modes. It definitely adds a few different dimensions to the hunt.

Yup I've been hunting sens 98 disc 1

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup I've been hunting sens 98 disc 1

Yeah, I run my sens as high as I can get away with. When I'm back in the woods I can usually run it wide open. Mine goes in increments up to 12. The default is 8 and that's supposed to be 70% sens. It does really good at 8 but if you push it you can definitely get some impressive results.

Also, when I'm running the sens wide open, I often get EMI from over flying aircraft. It's amazing that something that high up can interfere with something on the ground. They must have some seriously powerful transmitters on board those jets.

It'll also pick up my digging tool when I lay it down to cut the plug. I have to scooch it over about a foot or two. The sensitivity of this thing is really amazing.

Also, when I run zero disc, my overall VDI numbers seem to be more accurate. When I disc out iron it sometimes picks it up but kicks it up to a higher number. I can usually tell when it's doing that though.

But overall, I'm lovin' what it's doin'. Have I mentioned lately that I'm really sold on the Tek brand??

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread