First Post & Dime Talk

greg0074

Jul 22, 2009
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
First Post & Dime Talk

Hello everyone. I've been following Treasurenet for 6mo. I found the site because of my interest in metal detecting. What a great site! Anyways, I thought I would share some of my thoughts on CRH. I've been CRH since I began following the site. I started small like most. My first search was $100 in halves and I found 2 40%. Being new to the hobby I was very excited to see that there was silver still out there like all of you say. I continued to pick up whatever halves I could and would find a few here and there. No big finds but just enough to keep the hobby exciting. I thought I found a vein of silver at the bank in Walmart because I would score every time I asked until a teller started to snipe them all from me. I moved onto $500 dime bags and haven't turned back. I created a contraption to quickly find silver edges. Basically it is a 24" long clear tube (1/2") connected to a simple funnel on one end and a chap-stick on the other end to plug the tube. I dump handfuls of dimes until the tube is full. I check for silver, dump the tube, and start again. Although most times I hear the dull clank of the silver as it goes through the funnel. At that point I just stop and pull it out. I can go though a bag of $500 in about 20 min. I know that is nothing special but it is definitely faster than trying to group loose dimes to look at the edges. I also use what I call the "waterfall method" to find silver. Basically you take a handful of dimes and dump them slowly until I hear "the clank", stop and pull the silver off the top of the pile. I don't completely trust this method yet but it is a good way to quickly check a bag of dimes for silver. It'll let you know in about a minute if your dime bag is a skunk. So far I've found about 50 dimes with 3 of those being mercs. I do about a bag a week. My average is 1 silver dime per $100.

Other thoughts/questions:
  • Pennies are sorta fun but my head starts hurting after about 20 min.
  • I want to create a contraption that you can put a roll of halves through and it will cut the paper for you as it falls through. The slowest part of half searching is opening the wrapper.
  • I've found 2 gold plated halves. Are these common for any other CRHs?
  • Anyone have ideas for a faster way to go through dimes?

Upvote 0

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: First Post & Dime Talk

All I can speak on are the gold plated halves. Yes, they are pretty common and kids and tellers love 'em. Welcome.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer

I would think your plastic tube would get dirty. I also think that you would miss the tarnished edges. I find using a cheap staple puller opens rolls very quickly.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Welcome to this forum. Although I don't search many bags, I like your dime tube idea!

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer

Kauka said:
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:
it's a roll
Slide the flat metal under the edge of the paper and just rip it up. A whole lot easier than trying to use my fingers. And not sharp enough to cut or poke yourself.

OP
OP
greg0074

greg0074

Jul 22, 2009
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Yes, the tube does get dirty. Another issue is that I have yet to find a clear rigid tube so sometimes the dimes get caught up in the tube because it is not an exact circle. I just have to squeeze the tube and then the dimes will fall down. a better solution would be to find a rigid tube that has a constant inner diameter. As for the tarnished dimes, I hear them when they go through the funnel or hear them on the other end as they waterfall out of the tube. Thanks for the staple puller tip. I will use that.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a trick for opening half rolls very quickly - this is for machine rolled - as hand rolled are
simple . I have a leatherman multi tool in a leather belt sheath - with the tool in the sheath ,
I whack the side of the roll hard -near the center of the roll - this ruptures the wrapper and the
entire roll is in your hand in a second . The leather sheath protects any silvers from being
negatively impacted in any way . I can work a box in 15 minutes with this method. Argentium.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions