First Pre-1900 Silver Pocket Watch, Toys, and More---Vacant Lot Rusty Gold

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an incredible morning hunting with Root Kill'er Rob this morning. We started our journey about 5 am. Being a workday, I only had a couple of hours tops, to find what I could. It's started out really weak, but by the last hour, things picked up. Here is what I found.

This is a cover to a Old Pocket Watch.
PocketWatch_1.JPG PocketWatch_2.JPG PocketWatch_3.JPG PocketWatch_4.JPG

the Markings read WARRANTED COIN SILVER.
Here is what I read about coin silver.

"In response to the introduction of plated silver in 1847, some silversmiths soon began to include the terms "warranted," "pure coin," or "warranted pure coin" on the hallmarks of their tableware. This mark was meant to assure consumers that they were buying silverware that was melted down from silver coins rather than a base metal that was silver plated. The term "warranted" was generally discontinued in favor of the term "sterling" by 1874.

Read more: What Is Warranted Silver? | eHow

It weight 17.3 Grams. It's my heaviest and Oldest Silver to date :hello2:

I found this toy gun, which has certainly seen better days. :angel3:

Toy_Gun.JPG

Then there is this item that looks like it may be part of an old gun or rifle. Any feed back, comments, appreciated.

Gun_Part.JPG

Lesney Dunlop #25 is a vintage toy from England.
Dunlop_25_Blue.jpg

Mine is in much worse shape. :BangHead:
Dunlop_Wreck.JPG

Here are some other less fortunate toys recovered from the ground.
Jeep.JPG

Finishing off the hunt was his belt buckle, a gas value and a shell casing

GasValve_Buckle_Bullet.JPG

Thanks for sharing my excitement. I really need to get back to that lot and find the rest of that silver Pocket Watch.

Upvote 5

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Ya did great - now get back out tomorrow and find the rest of that pocket watch mariposagold.
killingme.gif
Thanks for sharing...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few old silver spoons (not detected- family silver ) that have just the word - coin- on them . I cringe a little when I think of the
particular coins melted down to form the ingots - the spoons date from 1840's -1850's so we could be talking about capped bust ,
and seated silvers , I suppose Spanish and even draped bust silvers as well - Yikes ! Nice finds !

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice pocket watch cover--I found a similar one in Cape Cod a few years back. I need to get it out and take a closer look as to what was printed on it. I believe it's solid silver too. Yes, sad to think about what coins might have been melted down to make these items :(

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds there Brother !!!

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds. next time we go back I plan on taking my cordless weed wacker. I couldn't even get my coil within 6 inches of the surface. lucky for you-you have that 4x6.. I need to get one of them ;)

recentlycured

Jun 28, 2013
Oh wow it does kill me to think of what coins were melted but also very interesting and a very nice find...way to go!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. nice hunk of silver with that watch case. too bad your matchbox wasn't in as good of shape as the one pictured for reference. that would be sweet.

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds. next time we go back I plan on taking my cordless weed wacker. I couldn't even get my coil within 6 inches of the surface. lucky for you-you have that 4x6.. I need to get one of them ;)

OMG Rob, Weed Wacker Rob. That last hour was really what set the pace for finds. I got real tired if finding nothing and started digging everything. When I got that signal, I thought for sure I was going to dig up Aluminum Can #6. There is no way that place can be void of older coins. It's just a matter of time before we get to them.

That 4x6 of yours really does the trick for heavy trash areas. You can't imagine how much I appreciate you lending it to me.

I most likely will have to wait for your return before I can hunt that lot again. Due to the resident homeless person.

Last edited:

andre1002

Jan 11, 2013
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star/Whites MXT/Minelab e-trac/Garrett PP/sunray X-1 inline probe.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan, I took the day off work Tuesday morning. SOooooooo, If'in you'ld like to probe this 1800"s property once more before I leave on vacation then I'm more that willing n able.. ?? Let me know what you think?

OP
OP
M

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Yeah. I expect Tuesday to be a really really sucky day at the office, so any excitement outside that hell-hole works for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread