Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20171126_115951.jpg 20171126_165623.jpg 20171126_165348.jpg
Not sure if this post made it the first time. Can you tell I'm new at this stuff?
Found this at foot of an eroded dune, in an area of 1715 finds in St Lucie county. No idea what it is, nor it's origins. Too slender and long for a spike or nail. About 13.25" long if straightened out and .25" at thickest. Rounded head rather that flat. Definitely appears to be hand wrought. Thought it could be a pin or needle. Might be an eye in that encrusted head. Only my 3rd effort at beach detecting, so I don't have much knowledge of these things. NO knowledge actually. So if you have seen or know of similar items, or even want to put forth a speculation, please do so.

Upvote 8

Bodhi69

Jul 31, 2017
Treasure Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fischer Aquanaut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was that it is a sailmakers needle. This would help to justify the size and the curve.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input folks. I'll try to go thru the museum as suggested. Maybe someone will have a similar photo of an identified object like this. There was a lot of early Florida history in that area so the possible age range is huge. Finding it in the dune sure suggest a maritime use.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks RustyGold. Looking forward to being a part of all of this.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Looks like they've helped with the ID already above. Congrats on the find. May there be many more relics in your future.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that we're getting some ideas about what it is, my next question is how does one preserve it? I notice that as soon as the iron is removed from the sand, which must protect it in some small way, it starts to oxidize pretty quickly and looks even more rusty. Is there a way to preserve the appearance as found? Perhaps it was darker in appearance because of some degree of moisture in the sand.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the responses. So far the suggestions have include, a nail or spike, leather punch, sail needle, and a cannon wick hole reamer. Sending photos out to some scholarly institutions to see what they say.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that we're getting some ideas about what it is, my next question is how does one preserve it? I notice that as soon as the iron is removed from the sand, which must protect it in some small way, it starts to oxidize pretty quickly and looks even more rusty. Is there a way to preserve the appearance as found? Perhaps it was darker in appearance because of some degree of moisture in the sand.

check here.Cleaning & Preservation

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome and very mice relic. This is an addiction keep up the great finds

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo...., Took a grandson up to the McLarty Treasure Museum today. Then went detecting on Turtle Trail Beach. Skunked. So what, had fun being out there with the kid, beautiful day. BUT, at the museum I spotted something I missed last time. There is a display regarding the really early French Huguenots, and in there I found the items in the photos. 20171202_123539.jpg 20171202_151810.jpg 20171202_122820.jpg
Well, that longest tool is probably within an inch of the length, and right on for the width, of my Ft Pierce find. I would say that these 2 look a lot alike, wouldn't you?
Compared.jpg
Of course that does not mean any jeweler, from any country, could not use a similar tool to the one in the display. But someone somewhere identified that particular item as belonging to that particular group. That only leads to more questions, like why was it so far south? Could it really be from the 1500's? Does this find warrant getting archeologists involved?
I have read parts of a thread here about the early French in FL, and some folks seem really well informed about all that. Maybe they could weigh in on this. Also read accounts from another source indicating that some French escaped the slaughter and got at least 75 miles south of St Augustine. There are more questions generated for me, than answers, if indeed this represents an ID.
I'm guessing there are some real, if not terribly astute amature, historians, researchers, and scientists on here, and maybe know some who are. I welcome all input.

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, did not realize those photos would come out sideways

OP
OP
Sandog

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to Mel Fisher Museum on free Sunday and got to talk to some staff and other interested parties. Two possibilities for an ID as either a jewelers tool like the one at McLarty that it resembled so much, or or possibly a vent pick for a cannon. The vent pick, as suggested previously also, was used to punch a hole in the bag of gunpowder down in the cannon through that little vent hole on top and then the wick was inserted. A bit of research suggests that although some were iron, most of these picks were brass or copper, to prevent sparks causing a pre ignition I suppose. I am leaning towards the engraving tool because after removing some more of the encrusted material it looks more like there might have been a handle surrounding part of the shaft.
I have sent an email through his publisher to Douglas Armstrong, who donated the early French Huguenot display containing the similar artifact. Thought he would be likely to be able to confirm that possibility. Have not heard back from him yet, but remain hopeful. 20171219_171143a.jpg 20171219_170501.jpg 20171219_170606a.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions