Help Identifying possible silver find today.

Nov 24, 2017
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Auqanaut 10"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I used the dowsing rods and asked where treasure was over a map of Indian river county. , it sent me to the North of Sebastian Inlet and there I found a lump of metal. This is non metallic as well as non aluminum. Does anyone know if this looks like silver to you? It's not much but it looks like a little heart pendant that got smashed. I put it next to a silver dime for comparison. If this is silver then I belive the dowsing rods showed me since I asked for gold and silver! I am not giving up hope yet ! 20171127_105450.jpg

Upvote 6

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well , if it's "non metalic " then by definition it's not silver . How can you be sure it's non aluminum ?

OP
OP
H
Nov 24, 2017
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank you for the input . I figured it was non aluminum when I tried to bend it in half , it is solid as a rock. My silver coins feel the same when the magnet is on it. Barely anything. If it is not iron steel aluminum then not sure what else I can do to id it.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well , if it's "non metalic " then by definition it's not silver . How can you be sure it's non aluminum ?

He meant non-magnetic, I believe.

You need an acid kit, they are cheap on Amazon. The gray tarnish in the crevices looks right for silver. The ice cube is too subjective for my taste.

If you spit on it, then wrap it in tinfoil for a minute, then if it smells of rotten eggs, you have silver! The tarnish is sulfur, hence the smell.

Edit: Doubtful that it is a piece of eight, but it does look like melted silver, and I almost never say that.

Test it!

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it is worth if it was 100% silver Ore it would be fairly malleable I believe. Not as soft as lead but softer than coin or sterling by a good margin.

Also, some Cliff Claven info on Densities. Silver will feel similar to lead for weight vs. physical size.

Attachments

• density.png
    density.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just rub your thumb rapidly until a dark streak appears, now sniff your thumb. If it smells like rotten eggs/sulfur then you probably have a silver bearing item.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You hold dowsing rods over a map, and ask where the treasure is? Who are you asking? Do you ask out loud, or silently? "It" sent you? What "it"? Does this work for other objects. Can I hold dowsing rods in the kitchen and ask for a medium rare rib-eye? Jeez. And then you get a serious discussion on whether or not this lump is silver, not a batted eye at how you found it. Double Jeez.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol..I was waiting for that...and do you dowse over the stove or the fridge...or both? Ddf

OP
OP
H
Nov 24, 2017
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well, I put the rods in hand over the map and asked out loud where buried gold or silver is on the beach I can find with my metal detector. It pointed instantly north of Sebastian inlet and made a x marks the spot. I went there and dug up the lump of silver. Does dowsing work? You decide.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Melted aluminum from a fire pit. I’ve found some that’s so hard you have to beat it with a hammer to bend it.

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it is worth if it was 100% silver Ore it would be fairly malleable I believe. Not as soft as lead but softer than coin or sterling by a good margin.

Also, some Cliff Claven info on Densities. Silver will feel similar to lead for weight vs. physical size.

I never knew gold was denser than lead.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never knew gold was denser than lead.

I didn't realize it either till 4 or 5 years ago, but by a good margin too, Platinum is even a little bit more than that.

Density of platinum
The density of pure platinum is 21.45 g/cm 3

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I put the rods in hand over the map and asked out loud where buried gold or silver is on the beach I can find with my metal detector. It pointed instantly north of Sebastian inlet and made a x marks the spot. I went there and dug up the lump of silver. Does dowsing work? You decide.

Seems to work for you. Kudos.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many forms of treasure hunting every one of em needs a lot of luck hope and faith. Am I hoping to find a chest of gold coins FREAKIN YES!!!!!!! Have fun keep searchin for your treasure! Doesent matter where you go or who you are there is plenty of Booty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread