First ring! Finally.. Old sterling silver

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found my first ring. I guess I shouldn't say finally I have really only been detecting hard since beginning of June haha. It was in my uncles yard which is one of the first houses in my town. At first I didn't think it was a ring. It was bent up and I didn't see any marking on it. I cleaned it up and saw the sterling mark!! Pretty happy. If anyone has a guess of age I would appreciate it. It was rather deep in the ground. Funny thing is, I showed my mother and she's said " don't you remember finding that other sterling silver ring playing in paps garden?" She showed me the ring it was very nice and has some type of insects on it. I found it just while playing and I didn't remember it! A couple years after that when I was around 8 I found a 1818 large cent playing in dirt from a road tear out at my other uncles. The funny part was he had a whites detector back then and didn't find anything close to that old!!! Haha I might have better luck without a detector who knows. Thanks for looking. HH

Attachments

• image-3307737750.jpg
    image-3307737750.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 130
  • image-3209812976.jpg
    image-3209812976.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image-3532731146.jpg
    image-3532731146.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 141
  • image-3879510153.jpg
    image-3879510153.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 13
OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also does anyone have any tips on bending a ring back? My ring is a lot better than it was, but I'm sure some of you have some tips... Thanks!

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a tapered mandrel and slowly work the ring down the mandrel, flipping it over multiple times as you go to avoid inducing a taper to the inside diameter. I have successfully use a large professional butchers steel in lieu of a jewelers mandrel. Use a leather or hard rubber mallet.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
congrats on the first ring and silver at that. one of my friends owns a pawn shop and has a ring sizer mandrel and he has done several for my while I showed him my finds

OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both for the info! I'll look into it and get it looking great

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first silver ring. :icon_thumleft:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, :icon_scratch:

Seems like you really do have an old ring !! 8-) (Most people find a ring and right away think its old..) :dontknow: I'm guessing maybe 40's or 50's. :headbang: Use a Mandrel to fix it if you can, if not heat it up to bend it so it won't crack. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !
:hello2:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great first ring! I'm still searching for my first too!
Hope you find many more like it!!

OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, :icon_scratch: Seems like you really do have an old ring !! 8-) (Most people find a ring and right away think its old..) :dontknow: I'm guessing maybe 40's or 50's. :headbang: Use a Mandrel to fix it if you can, if not heat it up to bend it so it won't crack. :thumbsup: Keep @ it and HH ! :hello2:
thanks for the guess. I do think it is older as you said the depth and history of the house leads me to believe so at least. I'm going to get it fixed and get a display case going for jewelry I find this is the only other piece I have found thus far (last wkend) but maybe getting a display will throw out the positive thoughts that I will find more haha

Attachments

• image-2671271637.jpg
    image-2671271637.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 82

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look bent to me, but rather shaped from years of being worn. Personally I wouldn't try to straighten it. If you want to clean the ring though, I would use baking soda paste or a lemon juice soak,

OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't look bent to me, but rather shaped from years of being worn. Personally I wouldn't try to straighten it. If you want to clean the ring though, I would use baking soda paste or a lemon juice soak,
well I bent it to where it is now cause it was a shaped like a triangle before haha. Yeah maybe I'll leave it as is. Thanks for the cleaning tips!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring finding!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a semi pro silversmith and jeweler for many years , I can tell you with confidence that the ring
can be safely rounded with a tapered mandrel and mallet as mentioned earlier . In order to get a
sense of the age of it , I would like to see close up pics of both inside and the outside of the ring .
Nice find !

Last edited:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find. congrats, and hopes for many more in the future

OP
OP
treasurehunter313

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a semi pro silversmith and jeweler for many years , I can tell you with confidence that the ring can be safely rounded with a tapered mandrel and mallet as mentioned earlier . In order to get a sense of the age of it , I would like to see close up pics of both inside and the outside of the ring . Nice find !
I will send you pictures if I can manage to take good ones after I get it reshaped and cleaned up. Thanks

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the guess. I do think it is older as you said the depth and history of the house leads me to believe so at least. I'm going to get it fixed and get a display case going for jewelry I find this is the only other piece I have found thus far (last wkend) but maybe getting a display will throw out the positive thoughts that I will find more haha

??? The ring is to basic to be from the late 1800's or Victorian era. :icon_scratch: Everything from that era had ornate designs. Flowers and swirls and such. Its got a stamp and the marking act was in 1906. :dontknow: Depth has very little to do with age. Finds from the 1800's can be as deep as something from 1996 and the other way around. Oldest I'll give you on this ring is 1920's.. :thumbsup: Hope this helps.

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread