First rings and watch. Help with gold ring!

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never found a ring before and in 2 hours this morning I found three. Also found a watch that brand is Waltham. Gold colored but don't see any markings

The gold ring says 10k gold inside the band but I dug the plug cuz it had readings in the 80s. Is this gold covered silver?

All of the gold showing is the result of my fingernail scraping off the crust corrosion stuff. Now I know gold isn't supposed to tarnish but is this outside crust normal? What is the best way to remove all of it. I can't get anymore off with my fingernail. This is my first gold if real so I excited

image-2325330984.jpg

image-3459913425.jpg

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess that if you took a better look it might say 10K GF, which is gold filled/plated, or it just 10K gold plating that is much thinner than 10K GF, if it was 10K gold and not GF or regular plating it wouldn't be corroded like it is, the corrosion is on the brass that is underneath the GF that has flaked off.

Some older GF jewelry is gold on silver, but if your's was silver underneath it wouldn't be green corrosion/tarnish, it would be black.

Gold-filled jewelry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep you're right! It says gold filled. Ill still count it as my first gold ring haha.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And rightly you should, it is gold on the surface, and gold is gold no matter how you get it!!!

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! I'm curious to the pocket watch. Wonder If anyone has a good link as to which model this is. Waltham went out of business in 1954 so I guess it's older than that. How do I tell if its gold ?

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at your picture, I would say the watch isn't gold, it appears too be corroded as well, it would have markings on the back cover if it is gold, or gold plated, on some of the Waltham gold wristwatches the back would flip open and the markings would be on the inside of the back plate.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread