First Seated this year...and it happens to be my 2nd oldest silver.

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Went out detecting Tuesday night at a friend of the families home. She has a double lot and here home dates back to sometime from the late 1870s to the mid-1880s. So it's fairly old. She said have it...so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Anyway, I was using my Explorer with the Sunray X-8 coil and was managing nothing but clad. I had probably dug 10 coins in her front yard. Beautiful soil, didn't really look like it had been disturbed much. I dug a few zincs down 5" I was hoping were Indians. No luck. It's been in her family since the 30s. She bought it in 1970...doesn't recall anyone ever detecting there before so naturally my hopes were high.

After an hour of digging zincs at 5" and Memorials at 6-7" I figured I'd move to the side yard. There was a patch of grass about 20' wide between the house and driveway.

I get a solid reading at 3-4". I'm thinking...memorial or clad dime. I skipped past it about a foot or two. Then I stopped...I said...what the heck. I'll dig it and get it out of here. I'm always more concentrated on deeper signals and often pass up the more shallow ones.

I pop the plug out and a silver dime practically jumps out of the hole. Instantly I knew it was older.

i could hardly believe my eyes when I saw a Seated Liberty staring back at me! I was even more shocked when I scoped out the date and saw it was a well worn 1857!!!

seriously...3-4" deep. I was amazed. I was there another 2 hours. Finished with 25 coins. I didn't even muster a wheat penny! All the other 24 coins we're just clad...from the 1960s to present. Oh well...can't complain when a Seated Coin joins the party!!! And yes...I managed to hit it with my Lesche. At least it hit the reverse side.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling that seated. :occasion14: I lucked into an 1875 dime back in 2014, but have not pulled another since. You're one up on me. There are so many types of the seated that I need to pull many to check them all off the bucket list.

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Congrats on a sweet coin!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome and bizarre hunt with 24 clad and that Seated!! Congrats on the old Silver!! Ok - so what's the older one you've found?

OP
OP
Deerhunter24

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
I found an 1839 Seated Dime a few years back. I believe that had an "O" Mintmark. Actually I believe this 1857 has an "O" on it as well.

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice seated!...way to score an oldie like that amongst all the clad :) crazy!...glad you listened to your intuition!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread