first silver and gold!

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
I was actually just preparing my belated post my official first silver coin, which is a six pence I found on the beach of Cobh, Ireland a few months back. Instead I talked my wife into checking out a park one town over and found my first gold ring! I'm pretty sure the diamond is fake but the ring is 14k and pretty heavy. So here are both of them. The six pence is rough but I researched it and this particular design went from 1902-1909 so I was pretty stoked regardless of condition or value. What made it better is I found it on vacation while digging in rock crevices for anything heavy that might have settled. The gold ring was found tonight, which is only the 5th time I've taken my metal detector out. Between the ring and the $40ish in coins we found in a

ForumRunner_20120712_203330.png

ForumRunner_20120712_203400.png

ForumRunner_20120712_203439.png

tree yesterday Im pretty sure this detector and pin pointer have paid for themselves.

Upvote 3

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diamond could be real setting over a black onyx awesome finds

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get in your car...drive to a jeweler...and get that diamond tested. I'm with Plymouthian12 and think it is probably a low grade REAL diamond set in black Onyx. You are very luck to find gold so quick into the hobby. I think it is safe to say you are hooked now! Keep us posted. Here is a similar one for sale on Ebay that is a real diamond.

Fine Men's Black Onyx Solitaire Diamond Ring 14kt Y/G | eBay

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Oh believe me, I would love to be at a jewelers right now but its almost 9:20 pm. I'm going to run it in to town tomorrow and have it checked out and I will definitely update when I find out. And yes, I'm definitely hooked now. I still can't believe we dug up a gold ring.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a big hunk of gold! Nice!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im betting its real - I found one like it with a little smaller diamond - mine was real - awesome find :hello2:

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I would be real happy especially after looking at that link. nice find...still looking for my first gold

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Yep, I'm not sure if I can wait until I get off of work. I might just have my wife run it into town real quick without me.

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
My wife just came and picked up the ring to take it to a jeweler. I should know pretty soon what it is worth.

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Bummer, the diamond is fake but the jeweler said there is 13.3g of 14k gold so at scrap value its worth $400. He also said that rings generally sell for considerably more than the components but he wouldn't give my wife a rough estimate of what it would retail for. Oh well, it is still a really exciting find!

hammong

Aug 29, 2009
Bummer, the diamond is fake but the jeweler said there is 13.3g of 14k gold so at scrap value its worth $400. He also said that rings generally sell for considerably more than the components but he wouldn't give my wife a rough estimate of what it would retail for. Oh well, it is still a really exciting find!

FYI don't let that ring out of your sight until you SEE the jeweler check it out with a diamond tester. A lot of unscrupulous jewelers out there will tell you it's a CZ and then buy the ring for gold scrap, and take out the genuine diamond before send it out to melt. Just keep your eyes open, my rule of thumb is if I see a flaw in it - I know it's a real stone, LOL. If it's perfectly clear, it probably is a CZ.

Sooner or later I'm gonna invest in a diamond checker. They're not that expensive.

Greg

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
I agree, I am going to take it in for a second opinion just to make sure.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a real nice ring looks solid!!!

The Swed Hunther

Aug 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
Xp Gold Maxx Power 18kHz
Sweet finds!
The feeling is wonderful,i remember when i first found my first silver and gold,wow! :laughing7:
Happy hunting!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely get a second opinion but your first instinct was probably correct. That is one helluva a first gold ring find though. congrats and welcome to the obsession...i mean hobby.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome! that ring is fantastic. congrats! :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soak the sixpence in lemon juice to clean it.

OP
OP
BaronH

BaronH

Jul 15, 2008
Crusader- Thanks for the cleaning tip, it had all kinds of crud stuck to it and I didn't want to risk further damage to a coin you can barely make out anyway. I will give the lemon juice a shot, thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread