first silver coin, 1916 mercury dime found at old rail road station

treasureguy

Jul 24, 2007
central wa st
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Hello, today after dropping my son off with my ex, i decided to hunt next to a old railroad station that dates i am sure pre-1900, i hunted around the old building but so many sounds i think there is alot of old aluminum shredded or lots of old deep coins, was only going to dig the best sounding sigs because i just wanted to hunt for a short while because i had to go to the bathroom, first sig, oh boy if i find a coin here i thought to myself must be a wheat or indian head, nope modern penny deep, next sig ok here we go, nope another lincoln deep, ok i thougt to my self if there is any place to find a old coin in this town this is it, has everyone detected everything old around here, about 40 yards away i came up to what look like maybe a old cabin foundation, i looked around and thought oh boy here we go, kinda of weird like someone plastered the whole foundation with some concrete, well not long after being next to it, got a so so dime reading, not that great of a sound, i probed my screwdriver about a dozen times and finally hit that sweet flat coin sound so soft i knew it was a coin, so i thought this one is really deep, lets take it easy, and scraped the dirt and sod away and looked down and saw a shiny silver coin and knew right then i just found my first silver coin :), they shine like the day they were dropped, it is a mercury dime 1916 has some kind of mark to the right of date, looks like a w, this was about a 20 minute hunt, left after the coin find, was so excited and happy enought to leave, like i got my limit for the day or something, anyone know if it has any value? don't have a redbook yet, will head back soon to this site and see what else i can find, happy hunting all later tg

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 623
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 614
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 625
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that S on the back of the coin were a D instead, your coin would be worth at least $4000.00 dollars. However, with an "S" it is only worth about 10 bucks or so. Now get back out there and find a 1916 D.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
If that S on the back of the coin were a D instead, your coin would be worth at least $4000.00 dollars. However, with an "S" it is only worth about 10 bucks or so. Now get back out there and find a 1916 D.
I believe the W is the makers initial if I'm not mistaken

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
That is really a sweet looking Merc. Congrats on a silver day.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
beautiful merc they sure do shine when they are dug up not much cleaning is needed :o congrats on the finds and hope you can get back there sometime to find more ;)

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Very nice Merc!! And yes, the designer's initials - Adolph A. Weinman - W with an A. Nothing like that silver. Congrats on your find!

HH

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
WOW! If that S had been a D you would have been like the kid on willey wonka with the golden ticket. You woulda had to run home through a gauntlet of seasoned treasure hunter trying to snatch your merc! Mercs are my fav coin! Nice first silver!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
She is a real beautfor a 16,usually that old they are well worn.Congrats on your firsl silver.It's a good one,many to follow.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one excellent looking merc.
Look now go find the sister "D" and you will really be shouting for joy!

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's A really nice dug merc. 1916 S. Mintage 10,450.00. The mark on the front is the initials of the engraver
Adolph A. Weinman. I'd say it's at least EF 40, my opinion, which would make it a 15.00 to 20.00 coin tops. You may be able to sell it for around 12.00.

Nice.
Ken

OP
OP
treasureguy

treasureguy

Jul 24, 2007
central wa st
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
thanks all, you guys make me feel like listening to this song :) one of my favorites, almost a 4,000 dollar coin, cool, there got to be a better way than working, later all full time treasure hunter, tg

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job, Treasureguy. :o

My first silver was a mercury dime, too...and I'll never forget where I dug it and how excited I was. It's the first of many great hunts for you! :)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Great find congratulations on that first silver coin. My first silver was a Merc as well. Mine was 1945. The 1916 D is the gold banner of Mercs. However, the S ain't so bad either. Not quite as valuable as the D, but definately more valuable than your average Merc dime.

Sweet find. Hope you have many more silver on the way. Good news is it does seem to help once you get over the hump of that first silver coin. Still some rough spots where you get into some slumps, but it does seem like when most find that first one, more seem to follow. I hope this rings true for you as well.

Postalrevnant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread