First silver ever...

aerograd

Jul 10, 2007
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'd like to say my first silver coin came because of persistent and detailed research. Or, my top notch detector. Or, better yet, my skill and experience with my detector. Alas, it was pure luck. Here goes...

I took the used Fisher F2 I recently bought out to one of the older local schools to test it out. About 5 minutes after I arrived it started raining and looked like the day was going to be a bust. But I hung around and the rain stopped letting me continue hunting around some old playground equipment and some of the maintenance areas of the school campus.

After not finding much (a few newer coins the oldest one being a 1975 dime), I walked over towards a large tree. I started swinging the F2 when I looked to my left a little and noticed the outline of a coin. A dime just laying there practically on top of the dirt in an area where water had washed away the grass leaving just the typical Alabama red clay sprinkled with rocks.

As I bent down to pick up the dime I realized it wasn't a plain old dime, but a Mercury dime! A 1942 Merc to be exact. Just laying there. What luck!

I don't know the story of how it got there obviously. Perhaps the water erosion uncovered it after being buried all these years. Or perhaps it washed down the hill from somewhere near the top and came to rest here. Or maybe a child, or even other detectorist, lost it recently there under the tree.

In any event, it was my first silver coin since I got my first detector (Ace 250) back in May 2007. I haven't done much metal detecting in well over a year. But that Merc spurred me on to keep swinging there for another hour or so. Unfortunately, I didn't find any other old coins trying to cover as much area as I could with the tiny sniper coil. I'll definitely be back there though just in case that Merc wasn't a fluke.

:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

De.Digger

Apr 16, 2010
Delaware
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-trac ,Bounty Hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net and nice find!

renogeoff

Jan 27, 2010
Carson City NV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EuroTek Pro/Explorer II/Safari/ACE 250,Classic IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It still counts!
My first silver was found almost the same way, sitting right on top of the dirt. I was swinging and heard a good signal, looked down to pinpoint and there it was!

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find. Congrats on the silver!!!

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!
Congrats!! Don't know if this would work for your situation, but I have found older coins like that and I believe they were what we call gopher gifts, meaning gophers pushed them to the top. Maybe that's how yours got there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions