Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to my massive permission today, still only covered half the place...
I focused on the cleaner grassy areas, so I could run all metal, hoping to get as deep as possible.
As you see, just a few keepers, another pile of clad, and trash like you wouldn’t believe.
My thumb is sore from switching up all the different modes...I still need to learn what sweet whispers Maxine is telling me.
058A27BD-8FE9-429F-A668-9BD8CE032A88.jpeg

Thanks for looking!:hello:

Upvote 19
OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes SILVER!!!! How deep was it? Was it a clean VDI?

About six inches below the thatch layer of floratam.....tough to describe if you don’t know what floratam is....
Thick turfgrass with a complex of random runners on top of the surface, all attached together, as well as tough roots. Makes for tough digging and recoveries.... but the Lesche predator cut through it like butter.
Solid 82

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello BWD. NICE!! Just got an AT MAX for Christmas...I like it. Thanks for the post and good Luck tomorrow. C9

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello BWD. NICE!! Just got an AT MAX for Christmas...I like it. Thanks for the post and good Luck tomorrow. C9

How you like all metal?...I’m still trying to balance the sensitivity and threshold, so that I don’t feel like I got a swarm of mosquitoes in my zlynks.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BeeDubbyaDee, "Maxine"....nice. Remember, female detectors need a lot of attention. My ATPro, "Julio" works for batteries. Congrats on your first silver with the new Max! Sub 8-)

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How you like all metal?...I’m still trying to balance the sensitivity and threshold, so that I don’t feel like I got a swarm of mosquitoes in my zlynks.

My 'tectin' buddy Btoots turned me on to "AM" mode...I use it when the trash factor is not high and switch to "0 Mode" when I get an interesting hit. Seems to work well. In trashy areas I do the reverse and have found that I get better resolution by lowering sensitivity a bit.

I gotta say I am digging more targets and using the two modes in conjunction works pretty good... 1 up and 3 down or the reverse baby!!

Thanks for the reply and Good Luck out there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coins! :occasion14:

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice looking mercury you found. You don't worry about using a new machine that your not too experienced with on a new permission. I'd be kinda worried I may miss something I might would have found with a machine I have more experienced with.
I'm sure you'll pull more silver out as you go.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
BWD shoots and scores.

Well done sir. Good luck moving forward at the site.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About six inches below the thatch layer of floratam.....tough to describe if you don’t know what floratam is....
Thick turfgrass with a complex of random runners on top of the surface, all attached together, as well as tough roots. Makes for tough digging and recoveries.... but the Lesche predator cut through it like butter.
Solid 82

Yeah I have the lesche piranha...like butta

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that Merc Dave. I cant wait for Spring ! Or at least for the temperature to go up to 20 above so I can hit some wood lots.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the silver Dave with the new machine.
A sharp edge is needed cutting through the runners. The first time I ever dug a plug I hit them and thought these are not fun!

Last edited:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG BWD! Glad to see you got out and got some coil therapy...interesting reading about the different little quirks on your Max, wifey got me one for my bday (Thxgiving)...and I got out ONCE with it (work)..but-that one time was at a permission I worked on all summer to get, went there the first time and broke the Max out...WOW...NOTHING like the ole AT Pro, this thing was going bonkers! I tried mimicking the settings from the Pro, but SO much chatter, adjusted sensitivity down, etc...I also realize that a new place is not the best site to try to learn a new machine, but BWD, it seems nothing like the ATP...Seeing as I was at a 1799 farm, for the 1st time, I packed it back up and broke out the ATP. Also, i had just came off a 22 hour shift so I wasn't in the learning mood lol. I'll wait for better weather and take it to the soccer field to break it in. Dave, what advice can you offer, moving from the Pro to the Max...? Thx in advance, hope you get out again soon, Ddf.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Mercury.
Now with the new machine, you'll have to cover the areas that you already covered with other machines.
It's like getting a new search area.
Congratulations on your finds

OP
OP
BigWaveDave

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG BWD! Glad to see you got out and got some coil therapy...interesting reading about the different little quirks on your Max, wifey got me one for my bday (Thxgiving)...and I got out ONCE with it (work)..but-that one time was at a permission I worked on all summer to get, went there the first time and broke the Max out...WOW...NOTHING like the ole AT Pro, this thing was going bonkers! I tried mimicking the settings from the Pro, but SO much chatter, adjusted sensitivity down, etc...I also realize that a new place is not the best site to try to learn a new machine, but BWD, it seems nothing like the ATP...Seeing as I was at a 1799 farm, for the 1st time, I packed it back up and broke out the ATP. Also, i had just came off a 22 hour shift so I wasn't in the learning mood lol. I'll wait for better weather and take it to the soccer field to break it in. Dave, what advice can you offer, moving from the Pro to the Max...? Thx in advance, hope you get out again soon, Ddf.

From the Pro to the Max, I’ve found that the VDI is little jumpy.... a solid quarter on the Pro is 86, but the Max bounces between 84 and 90..... but only if the sensitivity is higher, lowering the sensitivity it locks in, but if I hunt like that, I’m afraid that I’m missing deep targets. Also, the threshold, good Lord!....I keep at -2, the humming drives me nuts, the Pro doesn’t have that feature, and I haven’t figured out its importance. I like how the custom mode is saved after switching programs, or after turning off the machine. I like the built in zlynks, just gotta remember to turn them off when done.
Overall I like it, just waiting for a new permission yard, that isn’t a landfill.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BWD, I very much appreciate the info. Between waiting for the weather to warm up and work to slow down, I'll have ample time to read up on things. I've heard that it's a lot more noisy/chattery as it sees more targets. One thing I do know I like is the cordless feature, I'm sure it's just a matter of time until I lose my headphones seeing as they're no longer tethered to me. Thx again, Ddf.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
At max will treat you well in 2018

Top Member Reactions