First Spring Hunt - Beauty of a V Nickel

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got out for just a little while yesterday afternoon after a very long and cold winter here in western Virginia. Found a few nice relics - pewter spoon, oil lantern parts, etc. I also was able to pull this 1907 V Nickel out of the dirt only about 3-4" deep. She was right crusty, but after a bath in boiling peroxide, some soft brushing, a coat of Renaissance wax and some olive oil to make it pop for the photo shoot, I was pleased (and surprised) at the detail that remained. What a beautiful woman.

1907v 2.jpg 1907v.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking V-nickel!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice V! My last find of 2014 was an 1899.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on finding one in such nice condition! GL&HH!

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! I have only dug one and no where near your condition. It looks like she has tears of joy rolling out, she is so thankful you found her. And the back looks great too!

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never had the thrill of pulling one of these out of the ground but I hope, when I do, it looks half as good as yours. WTG!

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is about as good as I've seen a V nickel come out of the ground. All the old nickels I've ever found have been worn down. The last V nickel I dug, I can barely read the date on it and the back was smooth, or rather corroded flat.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is about as good as I've seen a V nickel come out of the ground. All the old nickels I've ever found have been worn down. The last V nickel I dug, I can barely read the date on it and the back was smooth, or rather corroded flat.

Thanks! Yeah, the only other one I found was the same way. This one was in the front yard, so it wasn't exposed to the harsh fertilizers typically used in a farm field. But, even with that, still amazing condition from others I've seen dug.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions