Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday after work I visited an elementary school that opened in 1963, certainly a potential for silver but I was there for the relaxation, pocket change and the discovery of a new site. Using the Equinox 600 in Park 2 mode, 5 tones.

Lots of pennies (all memorials). One hole yielded a jack with its accompanying one cent.

Very little in tot lot A and never made it to the second tot lot.

Up to the top of the hill overlooking one of the ball diamonds a high tone got my attention.
The dime from this hole looked different and it turned out to be silver, my first silver dime with this unit.
IMG_6455.JPG

Kept working the upper area and recovered the plate to a Spaulding wood driver (see composite photo).

Down the edge of the hill another high tone turned out to be a child's Sterling ring.

IMG_6458.JPG IMG_6459.JPG

Now the makers mark on the band is unusual and in searching for those with an arrow symbol, I stumbled upon this Treasurenet post that identified it.

www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/103824-sterling-ring-help-hallmark-identifiction.html

The makers mark is that of the Bell Trading Post started in Albuquerque, NM along Route 66 in the early 1930s.

bell trading post staff.jpg

The particular design of the mark, a bell placard hanging from an arrow shaft supported by a post, was patented to Bell Trading Post in the early 1960s.
Bell-TM.jpg IMG_6461.JPG This photo shows the tiny mark in this child's ring.

Two references that describe the history of the Bell Trading Post are found in these links:
https://estatesintime.com/jewelry-research/bell-trading-post/
https://fredharveyjewelry.com/bell-indian-trading-post/

Here is the composite of my finds yesterday evening and this represents a small area searched.

IMG_6454.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 17
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ddf! Wasn't digging mid-tones or anything lower than 20 mainly because I was short on time.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice post sir. I like that little ring, and the back story.

Best of luck to you.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good research on the ring McDig, trying to find information on makers marks etc. often end up being a dead end. There are so many, and listing them had never been a requirement.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first silver with the 600 McCdig. I like that ring and the jack also.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tom! My first impression of the ring had it older than it turned out to be. In fact the more I researched, the "newer" it got.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks sprailroad! You're right. I was panning through images from my search criteria when I spied the same mark on another dug ring. This rings design is very simple. It was made in two parts: designed bezel with the stone and then the band. The band is widened out and cut into four arms where it is soldered to the back of the bezel, so they used a tiny stamp to put that mark on the band, or someone was very good at hand-carving the mark.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Trezurehunter! After a month with the Equinox its great to be "on the board".

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice hunt! :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, nice story on the backmark.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the ring, once found one made by the same company.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread