May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey all,

vp here, ok i broke down last week and sold my SE on ebay and took the money and bought an E-Trac ... from what i had been reading the way it works in iron is supposed to be top notch, so i figured what the heck ... kellyco had a promotion where you bought an e-trac and you got another detector for $1 ! (so i got my son a Bounty hunter IV for a $1)

got the package last night and couldn't wait to get out today and try it - i purposely went to an old colonial home that is for sale, paco and i got permission to detect it back in august and have hit it quite a few times with not much to show ... it's one of those sites that you drive by and and say "Oh MY GOD !!!!" but i have a feeling it has been detected to death over the years - very few clear targets to dig

anyway it has a big iron patch in the side yard and we only pulled maybe 2 coins from it so i figure what a perfect place to test the E-Trac,
boy i have to say i was amazed ... now i didn't find anything earthshattering, but i can't believe how many coins were in that patch that both paco and i missed (he uses an MXT and i had my SE)

4 mercury dimes, 3 indian pennys (all but 2 over 8" deep, the one merc was almost a foot !) the rest of the stuff was a mix of clad and wheat cents anywhere from 4-8 inches deep - got a cool polictical coin/token of some sort and a little coin that made my heart stop - that is until i cleaned it off and it said plain as can be "play money" on it !!!! (i thought it was a half reale)

anyway all these coins were pulled from the iron patch - i ran the E-trac with minelab's coin program on, it masked out all the iron and the only thing i heard most of the day was the sound of coins ... it was so cool, totally quiet - nulling on all the iron, every once in a while i heard the threshold pop thru in a clear spot then when i went over a coin it would sing - was the coolest thing ... this thing recovers FAST

thansk for looking

vp
www.Treasure-Valley.net

Attachments

• etrac001.jpg
    etrac001.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 832
Upvote 0
S

seger98

Ya gotta love the minelabs! Nice finds... Did your son get his bounty hunter out yet?

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new machine. . . and the finds :thumbsup:

So. . . how many places are you going back to? ;D

All the best,
watercolor

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
Wow Kevin. This masking of the iron sounds intriguing to say the least. That's amazing how you found a Merc at around 12 inches deep. :o Keep up the good work. It sounds like you will be visiting all the old sites to see what this E-trac will find. :thumbsup:
Chris

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wheresthegoodstuff said:
Always nice to find stuff, where you thought it was all gone.

thanks man, it was a very enjoyable hunt to say the least

seger98 said:
Ya gotta love the minelabs! Nice finds... Did your son get his bounty hunter out yet?

thanks - my son's getting the bounty hunter for his b-day in the spring

watercolor said:
Congrats on your new machine. . . and the finds :thumbsup:

So. . . how many places are you going back to? ;D

All the best,
watercolor

heading back to all those iron patches and hittin' them again - this thign rocks !

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Wow Kevin. This masking of the iron sounds intriguing to say the least. That's amazing how you found a Merc at around 12 inches deep. :o Keep up the good work. It sounds like you will be visiting all the old sites to see what this E-trac will find. :thumbsup:
Chris

thanks chris, it was pretty cool how it worked - very different way of hunting - boy i was pysched though when i started pulling coins !

take care

kevin

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for the report on the Etrac. It sounds like a very good machine. I'm trying to decide between the SE pro and the Etrac. The Etrac may be worth the extra $200. What do yo think???

HH,

Dr. Ace

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new machine and a great hunt. :thumbsup:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what an awesome test run!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want a Minelab detector. Nice coins. :thumbsup:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice....Worth the extra bucks I would say....I bet you can't wait to get the kid out with his birthday present. Nice job.. :thumbsup: jgas

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Wow, Kevin, I'm surprised you caught on so quickly with the E-Trac. I heard folks who are used to Explorers have a harder time at first with the tones and different ID location on the SmartScreen. Did you have to adjust the threshold tone to make silver sound like a nice, high fluty signal similar to your SE's default silver tone?

It looks like you switched machines with ease. I'm just too happy with my SE right now to get rid of mine. It's treated me so well. I can't get rid of a machine that's netted me almost 1000 silvers since Jan. 07.

Good luck with your new machine. Looks like you're going to do just fine! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Darn, there are plenty of iron patches around my neck of the woods.... Time to start an 'E-Trac savings Fund' !!!! I might have to embezzle some funds from my son's 'College Fund'... >:D I figure with all the stuff I find with a new e-trac I'll be able to easily put him through college...

Very impressive finds !!!!

I'm so jealous.... Finally get a day off tomorrow and its supossed to snow !!! Doh !!!

Brian in MA

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dr. Ace said:
Thanks for the report on the Etrac. It sounds like a very good machine. I'm trying to decide between the SE pro and the Etrac. The Etrac may be worth the extra $200. What do yo think???

HH,

Dr. Ace

i think the verdict is still out but i'm liking what i've seen so far
and thanks eveyone else for their posts

vp

Captn_SE said:
Wow, Kevin, I'm surprised you caught on so quickly with the E-Trac. I heard folks who are used to Explorers have a harder time at first with the tones and different ID location on the SmartScreen. Did you have to adjust the threshold tone to make silver sound like a nice, high fluty signal similar to your SE's default silver tone?

It looks like you switched machines with ease. I'm just too happy with my SE right now to get rid of mine. It's treated me so well. I can't get rid of a machine that's netted me almost 1000 silvers since Jan. 07.

Good luck with your new machine. Looks like you're going to do just fine! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

hey dan,

thanks it wasn't a bad transition at all

yeah, the tones are a little different but still nice and high, in iron patches i didn't have to listen for the really high flutey tones becasue they were the only ones being played ! i never used the smartscreen on the SE so i didn't have a hard time there - but i like the id's and smartscreen all combined - i started watching it now

overall the verdict is still out, my first impressions were good but it was only one time out, my next test is a farm home that again has a big iron patch next to the house, the outhouse was there, the garden was there, the house is 150 years old and the property is over 200 - this area is just one big iron signal and there HAVE to be coins in it - i have NEVER found a coin in this patch, i found some nice coins in other areas of the house but never in the patch itself - very anxious to see what happens

take care,

kevin

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
peanut695 said:
Darn, there are plenty of iron patches around my neck of the woods.... Time to start an 'E-Trac savings Fund' !!!! I might have to embezzle some funds from my son's 'College Fund'... >:D I figure with all the stuff I find with a new e-trac I'll be able to easily put him through college...

Very impressive finds !!!!

I'm so jealous.... Finally get a day off tomorrow and its supossed to snow !!! Doh !!!

Brian in MA

hey brian,

dipping into the college fund huh ? wifey might have a problem with that though :)

i know what you mean, i was SUPPOSED to have the E-Trac wednesday - of course it was near 50 and sunny wednesday, had off from work etc, etc no e-trac - got it thrusday, & got out friday when it was 32 and windy - no sun !!!! (but no snow thank god)

take care !

vp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread