Strange find from England

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
I found this item 5 years ago while on an excursion in England. It god misplaced and was found today. We are redoing our bedroom and my wife found it under the computer desk. I was told that it might be a type or clasp?????. If anyone has a better I.D. (Crusader maybe) I would love to know for sure what it is and aprox. how old

Les

Attachments

• MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 600
  • MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 593
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early post-medieval Class A, Type 4 hooked clasp. (mid/late 17th century)

Copper-alloy cast, engraved & punched decoration, used on coats but also thought to be attached to leather for all sort of applications.

Nice complete example :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This type 4 is rarer than the normal type 2 which is very similar but only has 1 pair of loops either side. This 2 loop on each side is not one I have found yet. I have a few of the others.

OP
OP
diggerfororo

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
This type 4 is rarer than the normal type 2 which is very similar but only has 1 pair of loops either side. This 2 loop on each side is not one I have found yet. I have a few of the others.

Thanks Crusader, When it was shown to the historian, he said it was rare to find one with the hook loop not broken. I love to find items like this. You get to do the research and read about the history behind the artifacts. It is not always about the value of an item, but the knowelege you aquire. Thanks again for the info.

Les

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggerfororo said:
CRUSADER said:

Thanks Crusader, When it was shown to the historian, he said it was rare to find one with the hook loop not broken. I love to find items like this. You get to do the research and read about the history behind the artifacts. It is not always about the value of an item, but the knowelege you aquire. Thanks again for the info.

Les

When I say loops, I mean the fixing holes on the side. Is that what you mean? Its uncommon not to have them broken in some way by the plough. So its as good as example as your likely to get, you could have only beat it by getting the hasp as well (female loop the hook went into)

OP
OP
diggerfororo

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
I think I meant the "hook" which is "looped " over on the end . I assume this "hook was the piece that hooked the piece of clothing together.

Les

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
CRUSADER said:
Early post-medieval Class A, Type 4 hooked clasp. (mid/late 17th century)

Copper-alloy cast, engraved & punched decoration, used on coats but also thought to be attached to leather for all sort of applications.

Nice complete example :)
Nice ID Crusader! took you a whole 6 minutes though...you're slipping :D just kiddin,you're incredible at id'ing some of these whatzits. I know you've nailed several of mine in record time. Keep up the good work! Jerry

OP
OP
diggerfororo

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Hey thanks for the replys. thanks Crusader for the nice link with the pix. A pix is worth a thousand words.

Les

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An awesome treasure piece digger :headbang:
and I treasure the education Crusader :thumbsup:
Mike