First three boxes ever

Jnnaudio

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
So I just started last week I got about 5 boxes of dimes and two boxes of quarters so far. And I got 7 silver dimes and 2 silver quarters. Well today my two boxes of half dollar came in I ordered and the teller told me she got me 9 boxes so I said I can only do three now. Well took them home and would you guess it I only got a 1984 proof out of all three boxes. Getting three more Friday from her I just hope I have better luck.

My question is is this normal because I thought I would get at least one silver per box. I might just stick to dimes. But I would much rather do Halfs dollars.

I am hooked after the silver dimes but I would love some feedback on my issue if I even have an issue that is.

Upvote 0

Steelers0626

Oct 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep at it, eventually you will find silver in the half dollar boxes. It took me a few before I found a single silver, but once i found one in a box, i found 19 more in that same box, you just have to keep trying.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Been searching since 2008. My best box held 27 silvers. Never saw one like it again.
Not even close. But I keep on keepin on. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jnnaudio

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah i will keep on going notnlike u lose money when u dont find silver. This is another reason im hooked. Ill keep u all posted friday after my next three boxes.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first started. I went 11 boxes before I found one single silver half. Currently on a 3 box skunk streak. Its about the hunt.
If you don't enjoy the hunt, and can't do massive volume I would honestly suggest trying something else.
N8

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your average will be about 1 -2 in the long run, unless you are extremely blessed.

that being said Halves are still better than dimes, don't waste your time on quarters (the most circulated coin in the US).

you'll get 30-50% skunks, thats just the way it is, but start pumping out the volume and master the art of dumping.

4-5 boxes per hour is no problem if you have no distractions.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You really dont want my opinion on boxed halves.

I'd say take up basket weaving if you dont hit in your next 6 boxes. You can mix up basket weaving with bingo for a nice change of pace. After you have mastered these, I would probably move on to like gardening or beer brewing.

It's very area dependent.

OP
OP
J

Jnnaudio

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Im in ohio any word on that area? Dimes are good it seems so i just thought half dollars would be too

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jnnaudio said:
Im in ohio any word on that area? Dimes are good it seems so i just thought half dollars would be too

Because they do not circulate at all, halves are very "hit-and-miss." You might regularly have 10-20+ skunk boxes in a row. Essentially you are waiting for a collection of silver to be dumped and for part of that collection to find its way into your boxes. Most of us find more skunk boxes than non-skunk boxes. My first 11 boxes produced exactly 1 40%er. Box #12 produced 22 keepers. Right after that I had skunk streaks of 8 and 10 boxes respectfully broken by a lone box that contained 1 40%er. During my first year I found something like 60 keepers in about 50 boxes. However, about 40 of those 50 boxes were skunks.

If you'd rather have consistent silver, stick to dimes and maybe even nickels. If you have the patience and perseverance to wade through MANY likely skunk boxes hoping for a big score (that realistically might not ever come), go with halves.

Thats my opinion anyway. Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Most boxes will be skunks. Fact of the hobby. Often you'll get one or five silvers, and ocassionally you'll hit the jackpot (or at least a mini-jackpot). Just read the past posts on this board.

This past Oct 18th I had a 1K bag with 303 silvers (out of 2000 coins). Yesterday was the first time I've found silver the entire month of November! Lots of skunks in between.

Just be diligent. Don't expect to get rich. Expect to get very dirty hands, strange looks from banking customers, and questions from tellers about why you need so many coins.

Best of luck in your CRH career.

OP
OP
J

Jnnaudio

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
well you guyes were right got my next three boxed today opend all three and here is what i got

box1
1943 walker
1953 franklin

box2
1968, 1966, 1968, 1968, 1967,1968
2004 p

box3

gold 1986
2008d
2010d
2002p
1983s