First time coin roll hunting (halfs)

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
I went to the bank to try the new treasure hunting called coin roll hunting. I got to the house with 3 bank rolls of half dollars and found a 1967- and a 1964 in good shape. This is so cool, the wife said i will probably find more old coins this way than using the detector. I will try different coin rolls each week so the banks around here will not catch on. Wish me luck for next week.:D

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! WTG Dave. Keep at it and you'll be amazed at what you find. And be sure to report your findings here...

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a fun addiction Dave. I also find more silver (just not really old ones) doing coin searching then I do metal detecting. Of course we are not going to find anything detecting with all this snow on the ground.

I have not had a bank complain to me about giving me halves, the biggest problem I have encountered is where to take the rejects. You ever see any banks in the west half of the state with coin machines? I do not know of any in the middle of the state. My main bank where I take my rejects has one in their basement which only bank employees have access to. I am hoping that they get a machine for their lobby.

Yesterday I stopped at a bank and one of the tellers had a box of customer wrapped halves right there on the counter top. She said she was happy to get rid of them as she had to inventory them all of the time. There were $600 worth at that stop and that bunch only gave up a 40% and a 90%, but it also had two full rolls of 2005's (see my post below for more info). One of the rolls in that box was a $20 roll, it had all clad in it but was the first time I saw one of those double roll wrappers.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mich)

OP
OP
detector dave

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
The bank i got the rolls from just got a counter this last summer. I do not plan on buying more than 3 to 4 rolls at a time so i will use the clad for my gas money for the week. I think i am off to a good start. I will try to keep you all informed of my finds here in the Middle of Michigan. like you said we can not go detecting with the snow so this should help the winter blues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread