Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cat J said:
The guy cut up brown paper grocery sacks and made his wrappers.
That is better than one bank I go to. All halves & IKES are taped up in piles. When they sit a while you have a lot of sticky coins. :-\

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
I have gotten some sticky ones also. Like they have gum in them. Oh and someone is marking with a big N.

Cat

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Big R stands for "RETARD" you can guess what the N stands for but ask patrick earl.

Some people who hunt for Silver coins suffer from a mental problem where they feel once they search coins they mark them because they think once they touch them and redeposit them they are out of circulation for good...this is obviously not the case.

They truly believe that these marks will somehow scare off silver coins and that there is no way that they can ever come in contact with other coins ever again, and since they are the only people who ever deal with halves it must be true. They also feel they have control over the monetary system and feel once deposited back into a magical bank that they disappear.

I have only heard of one intelligent marking system and that is to mark error possibility coins as you will get your own stuff back if you CRH for a while. It keep you from using a magnifing glass on the same coin, if you mark where say a double die is. But tahts for a few coins only. And to ones that dont have collectible value.
Otherwise anyone who marks coins to prove they come back is just a jack ass, particluarly if they have to mark every coin they touch...Dogs do this, animals do this, I put people who do this on the same level as a dog. as to most respectable CRHers

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jewelerdave said:
The Big R stands for "RETARD" you can guess what the N stands for but ask patrick earl.

Some people who hunt for Silver coins suffer from a mental problem where they feel once they search coins they mark them because they think once they touch them and redeposit them they are out of circulation for good...this is obviously not the case.

They truly believe that these marks will somehow scare off silver coins and that there is no way that they can ever come in contact with other coins ever again, and since they are the only people who ever deal with halves it must be true. They also feel they have control over the monetary system and feel once deposited back into a magical bank that they disappear.

I have only heard of one intelligent marking system and that is to mark error possibility coins as you will get your own stuff back if you CRH for a while. It keep you from using a magnifing glass on the same coin, if you mark where say a double die is. But tahts for a few coins only. And to ones that dont have collectible value.
Otherwise anyone who marks coins to prove they come back is just a jack ass, particluarly if they have to mark every coin they touch...Dogs do this, animals do this, I put people who do this on the same level as a dog. as to most respectable CRHers

I use a different method to identify coins which I have already searched. I pick a few of the low mintage date/mintmark combinations and keep all of those out of the ones I cash back in. If I find a large block of coins which doesn't contain these common (but rarer) issues, I am looking through some of my own dumps. Keeps me from marking the coins in any way and gives me the same information. I also keep which low mintage combinations I separate out to myself, so no one else knows how I identify my own coins and can't replicate the same exact combination. If I need the money back, I just dump the separated ones back to a different bank/branch.

Note: You also could do this same method by picking the more common dates instead of the lower mintage ones, it will just mean that you end up with more in your secondary cash in or more that you keep in reserve until you cash it in.

It takes slightly more effort and is somewhat less efficient, but it still gives you an indication as to whether or not you are getting only your coins back. However, that being said I only do this all the time with nickels and pennies and only sometimes on the other denominations.

OP
OP
Cat J

Cat J

Dec 17, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
This last box I checked had a bunch with a green T at Kennedy's mouth. Why can't they just mark the rim if they have to mark.

Cat

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like I keep saying, there is no good reason to do it unless you have a mental disorder. Only people with a mental disorder do it, or admit to doing it, its so obvious that coins are going to come back and that coins are going to have new ones dumped back into deposit. Silver goes in...silver goes out...all the time. Anyone who thinks that marking coins will keep new deposits from happening is either stupid. Or has a problem in the brain or worst of all....BOTH!

It is a fact that coins will continue to move around even after they are marked. It is stupid to think that ones deposited somewhere they go away. Or that you wont ever see them again.
If someone marks them and gets them back all they have proven is that the coin made a circle in the system.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jewelerdave said:
Like I keep saying, there is no good reason to do it unless you have a mental disorder. Only people with a mental disorder do it, or admit to doing it, its so obvious that coins are going to come back and that coins are going to have new ones dumped back into deposit. Silver goes in...silver goes out...all the time. Anyone who thinks that marking coins will keep new deposits from happening is either stupid. Or has a problem in the brain or worst of all....BOTH!
Boy you really like to call names and put down people don't you? You have now posted this basically the same post several times, no one wants to read it again.

Yes, I mark my coins as I have stated in past posts and I don't fit into any of your scenarios. This forum is for friendly posting and help. When you first came on I enjoyed your posts now I rank your rants on the same level as Patrick Earl's.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Yeah I as well don't see the need for the blatant disregard of other people's preferences and the need to constantly insult people who do things somewhat differently. Like CD said, there are legitimate purposes for marking some of your coins. It doesn't take a 'retard' to figure that out. When you live in an area where there are multiple dump possibilities and multiple ordering facilities (Brinks, WF, etc.) then by marking a select few of your coins (say for example ALL the 89D's you come across) and start dumping consistently at the same dump spot, you can figure out how long and IF you are getting your own coins back. If you never once see an 89D with your mark on it, you know that where you are getting your supply from is different than where you are dumping. We all know the vastness of the currency and coin circulating. However finding out if you are getting ALL of your dumps back or if you are getting different coins with a small percentage of your marked coins back, that is called advantageous information in my opinion. You can then know where to dump at so that you can MINIMALIZE the number of your already searched coins back. No matter what you do you will at some point get some of your coins back, but that's not the point. The point is to figure out how to maximize the probability of high keeper rates.

Then again, I probably just have a mental disorder. Thanks for the pointer on that one.

cmhoose

May 2, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
cyberdan said:
jewelerdave said:
Boy you really like to call names and put down people don't you? You have now posted this basically the same post several times, no one wants to read it again.

Yes, I mark my coins as I have stated in past posts and I don't fit into any of your scenarios. This forum is for friendly posting and help. When you first came on I enjoyed your posts now I rank your rants on the same level as Patrick Earl's.

That's what I am saying. I think he just likes to see his posts # go up.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As to your feelings of not wanting to read my opinions on how I feel about marking them, I am not forcing you to read them, nor am I forcing you to agree with me. If you dont like what I say about it, Ignore it, or, dont mark the things, hopefully people will stop marking them.
Not asking you to like me, or hate me, I could really care less what you think of me but I just like anyone else and yourselves do have the right to state ones opinion on the matter.

I am just advocating not doing such a silly thing.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Didn't you know that Jewelerdave is the self appointed expert on everything.... in the whole world!!! And if you don't agree with what he says your a retard, dumbass, stupid, and animal.... blah blah blah. I thought the guy would be an asset to this forum, but his abrasive and abusive manner has turned out to be a real letdown. I would suggest he get a little help in terms of anger management...

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make yourself a electrolysis machine. I found a 1896 AU morgan dollar that someone had marked with a 1957 across the face with red nail polish? Anyway, the dealer sold it to me for $5.00. Said it was no good. I put it in the saltwater, hooked up the clips and in ten minutes it fell off without much trouble. The coin is awesome.

Will work for glue also. No rubbing. pushes it off from the inside out.

Attachments

• from granny 007.jpg
    from granny 007.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 179
  • from granny 007.jpg
    from granny 007.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 179

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have marked some coins in the past. Contrary to what is stated above, there are a couple of very good reasons to do this. We all know coins will come and go into the system. Anyone who has CRH'ed for any length of time can figure this one out, but there is way more to it than that.

Although, you do not have to mark every coin you search.....that would truly be a waste of time. I have marked about 50 total in all my searching. By marking these 50 coins & without going into great detail, this has aided me in learning alot more about the distribution points in my area and how these coins move throughout these distribution areas. There are certainly positives to marking a couple of handfuls of coins.

I will also say I do put collection books together and would hate to see an excellent shape coin come along that is all marked up. I think someone mentioned this already about marking the poorer shape
coins.

Listen......instead of pouncing.

Anyway...good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread