first time out in 5 years and i found a GUN

Indyfan73

Nov 5, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS
Detector(s) used
white's to many to list
Ok I has been a disappointing five years since I have been able to go out thanks to a drunk driver and five surgeries on my back. Well I went out for about an hour yesterday and had a strange day. I went to a river that I have been looking at for some time now on the way back and forth to the hospitals. My father knows that I sold my last detector for the money because of what happened to my and decide that he was sick of me not going out and forgetting about my worries and brought me a new one last week. While becoming acquainted with it in the back yard again I finally decide that is was time to go out and try my river. I found the normal sinkers and beer cans not a big deal I pick them up for the scrap and didn’t feel right leaving them on the ground. I decide to try an area that was hard for me to get to and after putting one foot in the water and then the other but not by my doing I got there. And right away got a strange very high pitch so I sat down and started digging with the hand shovel. Got about 2 inches down and found the coin (showed) it is a 1946 dime with massive toning issues. So I stood up and moved the detector over it again and it was still hitting so I knelt down this time and stuck my shovel in and hit this. I worked around it to free it not knowing what it was. Got it out and to my SUPRIZE it is an old gun.
I set it down and smoked a cigarette to think of who to call. I marked where I found it and didn’t move it any more or attempt to clean it in any way. And went to my truck and call the local police nonemergency number and to be hold I had five cops show up with in minutes light and all going off. I explained to them what I was doing and that I was picking up trash that I dug and filled the holes back in they were happy about that fact. We walked about a mile to where the gun was and we worked a difrent was to the location (this direction I didn’t get wet) and then the DNR showed up and we talked about it for a few minutes. They had me bag and carry the gun out. We talked a little more about it and discussed that this was a strange thing to be out here. They told me that they needed to take and check the gun for theft or crimes and I didn’t have a problem with that. What am I going to do with it other that clean and mount it? They let me take some pics of it and they were off. This morning I had a detective show up and get me up at 7 am and we discussed the gun. HE informed me that the gun was reported lost out there back in 1951 by a man fishing with his grand kids. He informed me I can get the gun back as soon as they make sure the gun will never fire again and that I can pick it up at that point. I asked for the information on the original owner to maybe give it back to the family and he said he would get me there information if there are any still around. But still I hade a good day out for the first time in so long.

i think the police cleand it to the point of finding the number but i know in INdiana that there is a data base of lost gun eather way i get my find back. what happens from ther i dont know i will have to see when i get it back. and then decied what to do with it. im heading out to a park today with my daughter after she is out of school to see what we can find there. hopefully my luck is going to keep growing and i can get a partnere to join me on my days out. anyway i need to get more in before the weather chang for the winter.

Attachments

• S5030277.JPG
    S5030277.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 936
  • S5030278.JPG
    S5030278.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 928
  • S5030279.JPG
    S5030279.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 920
  • S5030280.JPG
    S5030280.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 919
  • S5030281.JPG
    S5030281.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 907
  • S5030282.JPG
    S5030282.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 908
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you were very smart to handle it the way you did --- glad to hear its "clean" with no bodys attached to it -- often stolen or "hot" guns are used in crimes and are thrown away in rivers / or buried by the user to avoid being caught with the murder weapon on them --thus "linking" them to the crime -- ie body has in it bullet with gun barrel markings on it that matches the gun "found" on thug --- thus the thug is the "murder". --- police work at its "finest" :wink:

nice to hear yours was just reported lost in 1951 --- it and the 1946 dime might have dropped out at the same time --the toning issues might be from the nearby rusting iron of the gun ( coat pocket spill dime and gun) --while gramps was fishing with the kids. (since he was a grandpa in 1951 and that was 57 years ago sadly he most likely long dead -- even the grand kids (say 8 to 10 years old at the time ) he was fishing with would be in their mid to late 60's by now) if the gun was "usible" someone in the family might want old gramps gun --but in its unusible state --most likely not . it would make a great "trophy find " item display with a good story

the police must have matched the gunsserial numbers with the loss report * in their data base.

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
First, let me say that I'm glad you've healed enough to get back out. It all must seem brand new to you again! And to have found a gun the first time out!!! WOW! I wonder how they could tell it was the same gun as reported lost? It looks too rusty to see serial numbers. Great find!

vicki

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
So glad you were able to get back out and go detecting again and wow, what a start! That is a memory that won't fade anytime soon! Congrats on a memorable comeback and welcome back!!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are able to detect once again and now you have a super interesting story to tell. You did the correct thing with the gun, because who knows what could of been.

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
[size=10pt]Your new metal detector got broken in with a bang!
I'm impressed that the PD had records going back that far! They must have put all the paper gun reports into computers when they were invented.

Glad you can get out again after back problems. MDing is a wonderful distraction.

Born Free

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey glad yuor able to detect again! What an awesome post........so cool to me to have found a gun lost 57 years ago! And congrats on the silver dime as well! :thumbsup:

roceda

Nov 12, 2007
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear you are back in the "swing" of things. Great story and great finds.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool first post and finds! Bummer about your injuries but I'm sure detecting will help you recoup. HH, Mike

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Glad to see you are back out! What a great find!

Show us some picts when you get it cleaned up!

RGecy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread