first time out with my ace 250

jason_b

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2010
hello all I'm new to the forum and got me and my daughter our first detector. The weather was nice today so we took it out to a beach on Stockton lake. We found one penny and a ton of pull tabs! :-\ A little back ground on why we started detecting, I have a 14 year old daughter that was diagnosed with diabetes when she was 6 and she been doing pretty good till here recently, she started getting real depressed and got on some meds for depression. Well she tried to commit suicide her a few weeks ago and I almost lost her. We have been growing apart for years and I never realized it. So while she was in the hospital I was trying to find something we can do together just the two of us. I came across this sight and reading all about md'ing and mentioned it to her and she was all for it! So that's what led us to the beach for our first hunt. Although we didn't find much we both had a blast. So even though we just found one cent and a bunch of pull tabs, I got my daughter back and that's the real treasure I was after all along! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for reading
Jason

Upvote 0

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen to that brother,my 18 year old had some problems back when she was 12-14 and now she changed into a well respected young women and has a 4.9 grade avg.in highschool.Maybe this is cheating but you might want to go to a park ahead of time and plant some coins and then you both go out there and she finds them. :thumbsup:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great to reconnect!!! My wife is disabled with several problems and with love and support she has stabilized her diabetes's and is enjoying the finds i make when i get time to detect once in awhile she goes out with me to enjoy the sun and watching People!!!! Spending time with some one you love is worth it!!! Happy Hunting Chug and Red

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
best treasure you will ever find for sure. but this hobby is fun. try some tot lots. there almost always good for change and the sidelines of sports fields. Ampa theaters where people sit on the grass. any place people go they loose change

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
First let me say welcome aboard.......second it awesome you have found this great hobby as a way to reach & connect with your daughter....my daughter goes hunting with me also.Goodluck & looking forward to your future posts.

Randall

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the UK :hello: Sad story with what I'm going to predict as a happy future :headbang:

Keep digging those pull-tabs its your best chance at a Gold Ring. Don't be put off by digging trash its the only sure way of getting the better finds :icon_thumright: I must have dug a mountain of trash over the years. It should be called trash digging not Treasure Hunting.

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome jason-you guys have fun and try around where the people watch the ball games at you nearest ball diamond, and swing sets-u should find something 4 sure-good luck!

comfortablynumb

Sep 8, 2009
NW Missouri
Jason, is that Stockton, MO? If so, there is a lot of history in that town. Hit the parks & schools

I'm so glad to hear you are doing this with your daughter. :hello2: Happy hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
time spent "bonding" is the real treasure -- the other stuff is just a bonus -- try the ace 250 in "custom mode" -- it is the only mode that "remembers" your settings -- notch out blocks so that it looks like the coins "factory" setting then notch out cents as well --will ditch the modern zinc cents post 82 but leave the copper cents pre 82 in -- this will cut down on "junk" a lot while hammering coins -- a bit of early "good finds" will help build confidance and make it more "enjoyible" overall

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard!! The Ace 250 is a neat machine. I have used mine for two years. The longer I use it the more I find. I have used the standard setting until recently. I hunt either in "All Metal" or "Coin" mode. I go slow and dig 90% trash for 10% goodies. Last year over $100 and several rings and necklaces. All from local parks that are hunted by several other Md'ers. Keep at it and best of All enjoy all the time you spend with your daughter.

HHHH

Imnengr

Oct 31, 2009
Chicago Area
Detector(s) used
E-trac, X-terra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 12-year-old son has been hunting with me for over a year, with an ACE 250. We have found loads of stuff and it is so cool seeing him literally doing flips when he finds an old coin or a gold ring. You can't go wrong with this hobby. Nice choice for you and your daughter.

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Hey buddy. Good luck with the hobby. It looks like you have already received the benefit from it.

missionman

Feb 3, 2010
Same situation here. Time together is key. Don't even have to talk alot...just be there. Ace is great too for when you feel like diggin a little. Hang in there.

kawalabear

Jun 24, 2008
eastern shore MD.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
good going ! happy to hear it was a nice day for you both. kiddy parks usually have lots of small change and look up history of your local parks, its fun to know the history and you may find a place with older stuff. something old really gets you hooked quick.

i usuall just type in history of (name of park) in the search bar and go from there, that maybe something she can do to help you pick the places to go. good luck :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread