First time out!

MistaCotta

Greenie
Oct 5, 2004
Milford, OH (Cincinnati)
I went out for the first time with a metal detector last week.? I have been researching the subject of metal detecting for over a month, and finally I just HAD to go!!!? I think I've read every single post on the TreasureNet Forum!? ?:)? I don't have a metal detector, because I don't have the money right now.? I went to an equipment rental and rented their only metal detector: a Garrett Freedom Ace Plus.? I was excited about going, but did not think I would find anything more than nails and rusted iron.? I was greatly surprised with what I found!? I spent the entire day detecting my Dad's yard.? His house was originally built in the 1860s by some farmers.? The farm covered about 1000 acres in the area.? You wouldn't know it by the looks of the outside of the house, as it has been "updated" over the years.? Within five minutes of detecting, the first beep turned out to be a 1951 Franklin Half Dollar!!!? Man, I was ready to spend the rest of the week there after that!? The penny is 1919--ring appears to be brass or copper (?)--shards of pottery (?)--Can someone tell me what the other thing is that looks like a thimble???--pitchfork--file.

I also found a single-handled pan that has a strange design on it, and appears to be made out of tin or some other cheap, thin metal.? And the find that tops them all is a copper coin that is the same size as an early large cent.? It is worn completely down front and back with nothing visible whatsoever, except for half of the wreath pattern on the reverse.? The coin is soiled very badly, and so I am soaking it in acetone to try to bring out a date or something else (so far it is working pretty well!).? I can add pictures later when it is done soaking.

Here are the pictures of my finds...

Upvote 0

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey MistaC,

Some cool finds! Especially the Franklin Half. You are gonna have a blast searching that old farm. Keep us posted on your new finds!

Happy Hunting!! :D
Moon

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Welcome Mista Cotta, you are now officially hooked. ?Money will no longer make the difference in you getting your own metal detector.
I believe the thing that looks like a thimble is probably threaded on the inside. ?If so it is of a modern nature. ?If the coin has a wreath on the one side, it is probably a US large cent. ?Depending on the wreath you may be able to tell the approximate age.
It took me two years to find my first Franklin half. ?Great find. ?Lots of luck and keep us informed....Lance

OP
OP
M

MistaCotta

Greenie
Oct 5, 2004
Milford, OH (Cincinnati)
Thanks for the quick responses! I was just thrilled with the half dollar, and the rest of it. I just know there is so much more waiting for me to dig up (hopefully some older stuff too). Like you said, comfyinvermont, I am totally hooked now. I have spent hours upon hours on the internet and at the library doing research and everything else this past week. I am in college, and should be doing other studying and work...but I can't get my mind off of this! Man, I can't wait to actually get a detector. Maybe I'll win one from LostTreasure. :) Thanks again everyone, and I'll keep my finds posted. (Pic of large cent coming soon...)

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Cool first,Yep your hooked it,s like a drug.Cant stop now.Good luck and HH

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Great finds! I have never found a Franklin half and I'm sure others haven't either. I bought my first house a year and a half ago and found a 1918 Liberty dime in the yard and I would have dug up the whole lawn after that if my wife hadn't stopped me (actually, she's very cool). I was ready to break out the backhoe. Good luck, er, break a leg.

S

sounder

WOW!!! Great finds for the first time out, or even for the 100th time out. I haven't found that first half yet or the elusive silver dollar, but it's out there and somedayyyyy. What a great start. Hang in there, you will have that detector in no time ;D sounder

OP
OP
M

MistaCotta

Greenie
Oct 5, 2004
Milford, OH (Cincinnati)
Lance,

Btw, the "thimble" is threaded on the inside. Thanks for the ID. I couldn't believe how crazy it was that I found that half dollar. The backyard has a vineyard that is approximately ninety years old, and I started detecting at the front of it. That is where I found the half. Towards the end of the vineyard was where I found the pitchfork (which was about 1 1/2 feet in the ground...at least!). The file and "tin" pot were found in the same hole in the front yard. Both were about a foot deep. I thought it was kind of strange that they were both right next to each other. Actually there was a third thing right next to those two, and that was a large rock. It seemed unusual to me that such a large rock would have been in the ground like that, and right next to a file and pot. Any thoughts? I can't wait to get back there and work on it some more.

Michael

P.S.--I should add that my dad was quite impressed with the finds as well...he was a natural skeptic at first, but became quite interested after I was done showing him what I had uncovered.

richg

Jun 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
minelab products
Very Nice half dollar!! I have been at it for about a year and still have yet to find any kind of silver coin. Wheat pennies and a 1915 buffalo head thats it. Nice finds!! HH!!!!

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hey Michael...
Thoughts about the rock......Over a hundred years of landscape changes could very well have buried that rock along with countless treasures!! When you find a large rock like that, be sure to detect around and under it. The "old timers" used such rocks as Cache markers. They loved to bury their money in the yard and barns....well anywhere! I'm so jealous! Your Dad may very well buy his own detector and beat you to some goodies. Better get yourself a part time job and get your own.....Hurry!

Good Luck!

Moon

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Way to go! Now you'll have to consider changing your major to Archaeology! And if your folks are interested, and you don't have the money, there's always Christmas...

N

neu

very nice finds man, i bet that was very exciting, keep it up and keep posting

OP
OP
M

MistaCotta

Greenie
Oct 5, 2004
Milford, OH (Cincinnati)
Here's the "large cent" that I recovered, and was in the process of trying to get it to a point of mere identification. I found this on my first metal detecting hunt, which is when I found the Franklin half dollar as seen at the beginning of this post. Sorry for the blurry pics--for some reason my camera will not focus right. Anyway, I say "large cent" because of the apparent wreath pattern on the reverse. Unfortunately you cannot see any numbers, letters, faces, etc. Maybe I should try electrolysis? Maybe someone could explain in a simple manner how to go about it. I would really like to see a face pop up, and even a date!!!!! Thanks for stopping by!!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If that is a digital camera there should be a 'close-up' feature-- look for a button with a little flower on it.

The original large cent coins were essentially pure copper. Indian heads and wheaties are bronze. The difference is that copper corrodes more quickly and cleaning your coin probably won't enhance it at all. (Often they look worse after an attempt is made, and once you start, you can't undo the damage!) Usually what you see is what you get.

If you're back east (in a humid environment) those old copper coins just don't hold up in the ground. But keep looking-- you might find one in a peat bog (reducing environment) that would look like it was lost yesterday.

rsradcliffe

Oct 7, 2004
New to the site, actually my first post...Anyway...the coin pics may be suffering from not having the camera set to 'macro' mode...look for a button or setting that you can choose...should be labeled as a flower...I love this digital age!

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds. The ring looks like a fraternal ring. Probobly bronze or 18K gold, which by the way turns very badly in heavily mineralized soil. The top should have been enameled. A little run through electrolosis may bring it to life. As lab rat stated, if it is not gold electrolosis will do more harm than good, though. Good luck & welcome to our addiction! Chris

OP
OP
M

MistaCotta

Greenie
Oct 5, 2004
Milford, OH (Cincinnati)
I really appreciate everyone's quick responses. I have been checking out my camera to see about the focusing. It's a Minolta DiMAGE X--I've had it for about a year, but never had to take such a close picture before. If anyone has this camera, let me know what I should do to get a good close focus. (I didn't find a flower symbol). When I pulled the coin out of the ground I seriously did not think it was a coin. And I've been collecting coins for a long time. It was horrible. If it wasn't for the faint wreath pattern, I would have given up on it by now. Thanks for the info on the ring too. When I dug that up I thought it was a junk ring...but it's cool to know that it was a real ring.

Okay...I just ordered my metal detector. I COULDN'T WAIT ANY LONGER! I mean, I must have a list of about 50 places to go. I just had to buy one! I bought a Garrett GTP 1350 from Kellyco Detectors. Man, I am so excited. I'm going to head straight back to my Dad's house the same day I get it in the mail. Can't wait! I'll be sure to post my finds...

Michael

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the pic of the large cent. The others are right. Because it is copper they dont fare very well in the soil. I found an 1802 L.C. in NY and even after electrolysis it is still barely discernible. It helped a little removing all the black crap and restored the copper color of it but you really have to look hard to make out the features of the Draped Bust Liberty. Excellent find never the less and good luck with your detector :)

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nice digs and who knows, maybe it was more than beginner's luck! You can't spend much time digging while in your in the classroom or at work though...

But seriously get back to the schoolwork, get a good gig and then get a good metal detector. Your access to that property sounds secure, hit it when you can afford to! Meanwhile, consider digging that rock where the relics were. It might have been a trash pit or it might have been a sitting spot for someone workling on shoeing horses. See if any old shoe nails are around there. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread