First time using a metal detector :)

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello I got my first metal detector to day and started looking in the back yard as soon as I got home. First dig got a quarter. My wife loves it and my 7 year old daughter found a ring she was running around and dancing she was so happy.
We did all of this in the dark but managed to get .68 cents, a ring, and 2 pull tabs. I have been reading for a few days on detecting and everyone talked about pull tabs.. I now understand.....
I went cheep on my detector. I got a harbor freight 9 setting unit. I know it not a whites or garret but I didn't want to spend a bunch and not like it.. To its credit this thing seems to do its job for what I played for it. I also got one of those small hand held units to check the pile and hole as I dig. They both work well so far.
Next will be a much better unit and this harbor freight unit will be loner. I can't wait to go to a better spot and see what I can find. I will post if I find anything good.

Upvote 24

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 1st season I was hunting a couple hours every night after dinner and about 12 to 16 hours every weekend. I dug over $500 face value in coins May thru Dec.. I am an empty nester, being that you have a family I hope you can balance family and the obsession...

GL & Happy Hunting.

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to Tnet. Regardless of the machine, you found treasure! and it sounds like it was a fun family activity. Congrats on the finds, most of us are jealous to hear you scored a ring on your first hunt...WELL DONE! Most of us start exactly like you did "smartly" however, beware, the bug to buy bigger and better is addictive so pace yourself my friend. The plus side, down the road your purchases become investments as this is one of the only hobbies that has the "ability" to pay for itself over time. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great start! I have yet to search my house. I should but its not that old. What part of California are you in?

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My niece asked if she could have a go with my detector at the age of ten... Gave her the basic speech and a spade and off she whent....she finds a target and I go to investige as she is digging up a storm.....we locate the target and can you believe she pulls a silver coin from th 1930'S out the soil.....first target,first dig and first find

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet and our obsession

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T Net and a great hobby!
It's awesome your family is interested in detecting!

Mine is not unfortunately, eyes roll when I insist on taking my detector with me to family gatherings....I am also officially deemed the family "nut" for detecting, but I don't care and that won't stop me.
I realized long ago this hobby has great potential on many levels.
As soon as I find that chest of gold, crow will be served! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread