Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Spent a few hours Saturday using the Sifter program. I wanted to tweak it but all I heard was machine gun fire non stop and was finding stuff so I let it go. Not a deep program by any means except for the iron. Still was finding it to a foot. Got a new coin though. The 1857 flying eagle. Thought it was a fatty like I found next to it. Neatest find to me was that drill. Oh and they used to put Seals on ham in 1870-90.
IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG

Ok "H" how do I make the Sifter a tad deeper and still here a rise in a mess like I was in?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are using the sifter program "out of the box" i.e., with the following settings per Gary's recommendations and my depth enhancer recommendations in parenthesis:

Frequency: Not Specified - assume 18 khz (per fast program settings), (you can go to 8 khz for more depth as 4 khz will bump TX power all the way to 3 which runs counter to sift philosophy)
Disc: 0 - 1 (No change)
Full Tones
Sens: 86 (you can raise it up slightly but would not go any higher than 89)
Tx Power:1 (you can raise to 2 probably with little ill effect)
Reactivity: 3 (lower to 2 or 2.5 for more "depth")
Iron Audio: 0 (no effect in full tones)
Audio Response: 4 (you can raise to 5 to hear "squeakers" better)

Finally: If you are using GB manual at "88" as recommended by Gary you can either set the GB to = the actual manually (or via tracking) or manually set it to be slightly lower than actual to eek out a little more depth at the expense of noise.

That's all I know. I don't use sifter much, but probably should.

OP
OP
rick67

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ll try if I can see the ground this weekend.
You should try it though. Starting in a cellar whole and around. It took some time fifteen twenty mins of chaos but started to here rises in the mix. Very small sweet spot on coil. Move forward or back a few inches and the hit is gone.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
them there pitch programs work better than them there full tones programs in iron..... I have switched and developed a new iron program.... vefferrari has one too

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You look like you did pretty well as it i.e.

My opinion is that in the the type area that the sifter program shines is too littered with trash and iron to make it go much deeper.

Different programs for different type hunting fields.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You look like you did pretty well as it i.e.

My opinion is that in the the type area that the sifter program shines is too littered with trash and iron to make it go much deeper.

Different programs for different type hunting fields.

I agree with this statement. And regarding Calabash's statement on pitch programs, I think an HF pitch with lowered sensitivity (a la Sifter) might be a good one for the tool kit. Will have to experiment with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread