Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the hf coils to hunt a site that renders detectors useless.....and found these! need help with the one with the writing on it. DSCN0112.jpg DSCN0114.jpg DSCN0117.jpg DSCN0118.jpg DSCN0115.jpg

Txop

Oct 21, 2017
North Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, X-terra with several coils, White's MXT, Whites Classic ID, Troy Shadow X2 (my first detector), and a carrot pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think is causing the EMI in that area?

Just curious. So far I have only observed EMI with underground sources. I have hunted around and under power lines with no ill effect.

BTW, nice finds.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds!! I have my HF coil now and am looking forward to getting some good hunts in on it for sure, I can tell already the HF coil is quieter than the LF in my test garden and yard.. :D I have a few Iron Heavy areas that are calling it's name

But it is still noisier than the CTX ever was. I have a TON of time( like you on the Deus) on the CTX and have only had one time hunting directly above a underground HV power line that the CTX showed there was EMI or any other interference. I am not from Missouri but I would have to see it personally to believe the CTX had any issues in the middle of the woods :D

Keep up the good Hunts!!:metaldetector::icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ctx is a quiet machine no doubt BUT in that place it had problems... I should have showed the guys I ran into and how their detectors were chirping like birds and rendered useless.. I messed up in the video because I should have showed how the emi was affecting the deus in 14 kh and how it was chirping like a bird... until I put it in 74kh and 54 kh then it became quiet... 28 kh wouldn't work either.. I don't know how far the band goes on the ctx but don't believe it goes up to 54 kh and maybe thats why the ctx had problems too . When I say this place renders detectors useless I'm not exaggerating one bit. There is a plant nearby and that is what is causing the emi. I have only seen 2 places like this since I started detecting.. If I ever get a chance I will take my friends ctx there and film it....

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not calling you a lier, but I would still have to see with my own eyes. In 54k my HF makes way more noise in my yard than my ctx makes which is zero. I have a 12kv line running over head too..

I would bet something is wrong with the ctx you had out there.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice video, thanks for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not calling you a lier, but I would still have to see with my own eyes. In 54k my HF makes way more noise in my yard than my ctx makes which is zero. I have a 12kv line running over head too..

I would bet something is wrong with the ctx you had out there.

EMI and its effects on detectors are is not something you can hang your hat on by how a detector behaves at one site vs. another. Unless you know the source, you cannot make any definitive statements about how EMI immune a detector is by a single data point.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can make any statement I want :D but I am using multiple data points..

Could I be wrong? Sure. Could I look at a pattern of different detector bashing that is not a deus, a proven track record on how a certain machine is known to operate, could I look at the 1000's of hr of experiance i have on a machine in urban enviroments? You betcha. I will stick with my comments.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never mentioned a type of detector in my post. Did not consider you were bashing. You said the HF Coil was noisy in your yard while the CTX was quiet. Calabash had the opposite experience. My point was that nothing conclusive could be made from comparing the two situations other than give the benefit of the doubt to both of you and use the Deus at Calabash's site and use the CTX in your yard. The variables are too high to make any definitive general conclusions on what is a more quiet detector overall so it is entirely possible for you to both be right. That's all I’m saying.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you watch the video? All my comments were in reference to the video. No issues either way..

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. I watched the video. Neither of you are giving any video proof so I say you are both telling the truth, until proven otherwise. And of course you can make any statement you like, just as I can. Happy hunting.

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All said and done he pulled some great finds and that is what matters. That script I button is a big want for me. Keep it up there Calabash!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Awesome finds.

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could the GAG be a brass ring that got flattened? Nice going especially in the tough EMI conditions.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KUDOS In your hunt
C8C5F534-8444-4B32-9349-BE4D924E7222.jpeg

Calabash Digger experienced EMI interference before in his back yard in a couple of his videos there seems to a a ton of EMI where he lives.

I agree that the CTX is very good with EMI. To rule the interference out maybe Calabash Digger can ask another buddy with a CTX to give it a spin then you can rule out the EMI and CTX dilemma vs. Deus raining king of the high frequency.

5BBC5740-D7B4-4AC6-9B78-AF8469A1C543.jpeg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I sound like a broken record, so for that I apologize. But when I hear about crowning a detector king of the EMI pack or implications that someone must have been using a defective detector because the anecdotal reports that detector so and so was noisy and that can't possibly be, I feel compelled to just put it out there again. EMI is so site and equipment specific and fickle due to all the variables you go with what works at that site that day and if you have options (different detectors, different frequency settings, different noise immunity filters) all the better. I think there are some great "EMI quiet" detectors like the CTX and Deus (with certain coil frequency configurations) and I am sure there are other serious contenders. But the thing that makes a detector depth sensitive also makes it more susceptible to noise and interference so there are constant tradeoffs. That is why in my opinion (just my opinion, mind you, based on working in a field designing equipment to be, among other things, resilient to EMI susceptibility) it is very unlikely that you can crown a single detector model "king" of EMI immunity across the board for all sites and situations. Therefore, the argument about which has more EMI resilience is good from a discussion of technical facts standpoint but likely a futile one to actually resolve to a universal conclusion. In other words I could probably produce video evidence "proving" the case for just about any detector at a given site. Again, the best solution is to have options so you can see what is working at a particular noisy site on a particular day and go with that solution. Good discussion and I welcome additional opinions since the title of the thread was high emi area, I think the discussion is on topic and fair game.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can Indeed over complicate anything, not you specifically but anything. Some detectors by their design are much quieter period. And it is in their design. Better shielding, noise filters, not having the main guts of the machine laying on the ground with a small package where shielding the components that pick up the emi are. You can not deny the facts that some machines are extremely quite and some are not, due to their design.

So again for me the ctx is one of the quietest machine out there :) and what is funny is it is and it is great for depth too. How did they do it?

I own both machines and have no issues with either. But I would be willing to bet most who have time on both would agree that one machine is a much quieter machine in general than the other.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can Indeed over complicate anything, not you specifically but anything. Some detectors by their design are much quieter period. And it is in their design. Better shielding, noise filters, not having the main guts of the machine laying on the ground with a small package where shielding the components that pick up the emi are. You can not deny the facts that some machines are extremely quite and some are not, due to their design.

So again for me the ctx is one of the quietest machine out there :) and what is funny is it is and it is great for depth too. How did they do it?

I own both machines and have no issues with either. But I would be willing to bet most who have time on both would agree that one machine is a much quieter machine in general than the other.

I have to defer to you because you own both detectors. So CTX is the king then. Calabash owned one but had nowhere as much swing time as you did on yours so based on all the EMI hell sites you have visited with both the CTX and the Deus, that is the definitive answer. I was thrown off because you only mentioned that the Deus with HF was noisy in your backyard while the CTX wasn't so I assumed you hadn't had the chance to take it everywhere you have taken the CTX where the CTX had issues. My bad.

Regarding the Deus, I am actually surprised at how quiet it actually does run. It should be an EMI nightmare considering that besides having the EMI antenna all detectors have (namely the coil) it also has radios for not just the headphones but also between the coil and the main control box. So what did XP do to address this? Apparently, they have an EMI suppression calibration routine that is run every time you turn on the Deus that does some RF EMI noise cancellation for the local wireless receiver transmitters. The coil based EMI susceptibility is handled by the coil shielding design itself which seems to be improved vs. the lf coils in my experience. How did they do that?

Again, I have not been in a situation where he Deus was more quiet than the CTX or vice versa, so I cannot say with any definitive proof that one is quieter than the other. So I cannot deny the "facts".

Since you have both and have run them side-by-side everywhere, I have to say you should know best. Thanks for the info.

Sorry Calabash, I guess Jack has concluded that the CTX is the quietest machine out there. We need to take him at his word while you need to come up with the video proof to counter his claims. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to defer to you because you own both detectors. So CTX is the king then. Calabash owned one but had nowhere as much swing time as you did on yours so based on all the EMI hell sites you have visited with both the CTX and the Deus, that is the definitive answer. I was thrown off because you only mentioned that the Deus with HF was noisy in your backyard while the CTX wasn't so I assumed you hadn't had the chance to take it everywhere you have taken the CTX where the CTX had issues. My bad.

Regarding the Deus, I am actually surprised at how quiet it actually does run. It should be an EMI nightmare considering that besides having the EMI antenna all detectors have (namely the coil) it also has radios for not just the headphones but also between the coil and the main control box. So what did XP do to address this? Apparently, they have an EMI suppression calibration routine that is run every time you turn on the Deus that does some RF EMI noise cancellation for the local wireless receiver transmitters. The coil based EMI susceptibility is handled by the coil shielding design itself which seems to be improved vs. the lf coils in my experience. How did they do that?

Again, I have not been in a situation where he Deus was more quiet than the CTX or vice versa, so I cannot say with any definitive proof that one is quieter than the other. So I cannot deny the "facts".

Since you have both and have run them side-by-side everywhere, I have to say you should know best. Thanks for the info.

Sorry Calabash, I guess Jack has concluded that the CTX is the quietest machine out there. We need to take him at his word while you need to come up with the video proof to counter his claims. Good luck to you.

Who said it was King? I said it is generally quieter machine. And quiet enough compared to my deus(and yes in every situation I have ever encountered) that I would be surprised it couldn't hunt the exact same spot just fine unless something was wrong.. If that's all you can do is return with a complete smart alec attitude putting words into my mouth it only proves one thing to me..lol Do you stomp your feet and run away too when folks don't agree with you?

I am surprised how well the deus does especially being completely wireless. That in itself opens it up for lots that other don't have to deal with. Again I stand by my comment, I think the CTX is one of the quietest machines out there. And it goes deep too :)

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow - I defer to you and you are still not satisfied. The CTX is generally one of the quietest machines out there. Okay? You have both you should know better than me. Quit parsing everything I say and telling me I am stomping my feet. Sheesh.

You asked Calabash to provide video proof, I am taking you at your word. What more do you want from me?

I have not disparaged you, said from the get go you both can be right, never said things like "i am not calling you a liar but...", yet you want to call me a smart alec? Please take a look in a mirror sometime.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread