first timer, hit the bank today searchin for silver

OldMoney

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
Southern US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i've been lurking this place for a number of years, never posted until now. all of your posts in this forum inspired me to do some coin roll hunting. today i took a hundred dollar bill to a local bank and grabbed up 10 rolls of half dollars. i managed to pluck out (3) 40%ers, 1968D halfs. not bad i guess. somethin' like a $10 profit on my hundred for 5 minutes of my time. returned the clad to the dump down the street. i was in and out of there, and was impressed by how fast they took the coins and made my deposit. im gonna head out again tomorrow with a couple hundred bucks in my arsenal, as i've got the fever now for sure.

on a side note, ive heard you guys talk about how you can tell the difference between a silver coin and a clad coin. when i finally got some in my hands it was a striking difference... i could easily spot the sides of the coin and how the clad has the two tone copper look, while the silver has more of a solid look. also, the sound. clad seems to be higher pitched and the silver has a deeper tone. easy to distinguish.

anyway, good luck to all of you guys. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya, better bump up that bank roll. Buy them all.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep the more you do it the quicker you'll be able to find yourself differentiating between the clad and the silver-clad. Some people on here can hear a few 40%ers in a bag of clad, that's impressive. You were pretty lucky that your first bank had halves, and found a few silvers nonetheless, not bad!

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish they had CWR in my area. Hard to come by around these parts.

OP
OP
OldMoney

OldMoney

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
Southern US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, better bump up that bank roll. Buy them all.

:thumbsup: you're absolutely right.

appreciate the replies. i feel like i was pretty lucky my first time out. found a bank with halves, and managed to score a few keepers.

went out again today. all i had in cash that i could let go of was $80. i decided to try a different bank to see if my finding halves was out of ordinary for my area. bank #1 had (5) halves in the tray, which i bought and got skunked, and none in the vault... bank #2, no halves at all. i question whether or not these tellers really know whats in the vault, especially when they reply "there are none in the vault" so fast without actually going to check.

then i decided to go back to the original bank, and i'm glad that i did. the teller there is very nice and helpful. i ended up getting 7 rolls. 6 out of the 7 rolls were skunks... and i think i should add that most of these rolls have a "bank" wrapper on them. there was 1 roll that didn't have the bank wrapper, instead it had a local business wrapper. when i opened the end i spotted a 1969 lookin' back at me. there were (6) 40% halves in this roll... feels good, man. 8-)

(9) 40% halves so far is my running total. i'm a long way from the mountain of silver i hope to have one of these days... but i am well on my way!

i overheard the teller saying she was about to leave for the day, and my previous visit clued me in to the fact that she's the vault teller. monday i'm going back and clearing out the bank of any half rolls that have the "customer" wrapper and not the bank. i may clean them out entirely, i don't know... i hope i have enough cash to do so.

but yea, this coin roll huntin' stuff...... awesome. :laughing7:

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you like it, I only go to one bank exclusively. I dump, pick up there. I get all their halves. And my grandma is the manager and cousin is the head teller. So I get literally whatever I want there. Small town do I only ask for halves once a week. Only 1 40%. So far. Glad you like Crh! And good luck on the mountain of silver. We all want the same thing!
Best of luck,
Wicka. :).

PS: if you ever have questions or need information or want to trade results. Just private message me. :lurk:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
there was 1 roll that didn't have the bank wrapper, instead it had a local business wrapper. when i opened the end i spotted a 1969 lookin' back at me. there were (6) 40% halves in this roll... feels good, man. 8-)

Post it in the "End Roll Finds" thread.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is awesome indeed. Hard to stay away for ay length of time! Sometimes I get antsy waiting for the bans to open Monday!

OP
OP
OldMoney

OldMoney

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
Southern US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys. yea i'm thinkin i was fairly lucky my first few times out. i hit nine 40% halfs in around $200 worth of rolls. i haven't been as lucky since, but i'm still hitting silver so i can't really complain. yesterday, i called around the local banks lookin' for halves. bank A had $100 in rolls. bank B had $993 and didn't specify if it was rolls or whatever. i decided to shoot over to both banks and get it all. the hundred in rolls was a total skunk. the rolls had tape on one end, and i doubted i would find silver upon sight of the rolls. i was right. however, bank B's $993 did offer a few silver pieces. i was afraid at first, as the teller came out lugging a plastic bank bag full of coin. she said it was $7 shy of the $1000 they usually send out with brinks or whoever takes their coin. my timing was good, i suppose. after sifting through 2000 coins and only finding six 40% coins, i was feeling a little down about it.... but hey... its all good :)

one odd thing about the bag from the coin machine at the bank, it produced a lincoln dollar piece in a plastic case. its an odd coin in itself. i've saw the dollar coins, and none of them appeared to be plated in gold to me. but this one, i'd bet $100 its plated in gold. anyone know about these coins? is there a special mint version that is plated or somethin? i thought i had somethin' special lol but it is a dollar presidential coin, 2010 P. you can see on the edges where the bronze look and the gold plating meet. any info on this particular coin would be appreciated.

i've attached pics of my total silver haul thus far and the possible gold plated lincoln.

lincoln-back.JPG lincoln-front.JPG line.JPG row.JPG stack.JPG

OP
OP
OldMoney

OldMoney

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
Southern US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a presidential dollar coin. Abraham Lincoln Presidential Dollar
i'm not so sure... i took a few more pics of the edges of the coin. it has a sandwich look. there is a darker bronze, almost brownish-reddish looking metal in the middle, between 2 very thin layers of what looks like actual real gold to me. i've saw these presidential coins before and none had this particular gold look. do the regular coins have any type of sandwich look on the edges? anyway, i dont know how to work the camera so we'll have to wait for my wife to get the pics on here for me lol

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whether it is plated or not, you are up $0.50 on the deal. I would just keep it in the plastic it came in as a crh curiosity. I once found a 90% proof half dollar in a protective but hard to see plastic case. It came out of a cwr and I later found out one of my tellers had wrapped it as is. Lol. Congrats on your finds so far. HH
Merc

OP
OP
OldMoney

OldMoney

Greenie
Aug 16, 2012
Southern US
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether it is plated or not, you are up $0.50 on the deal. I would just keep it in the plastic it came in as a crh curiosity. I once found a 90% proof half dollar in a protective but hard to see plastic case. It came out of a cwr and I later found out one of my tellers had wrapped it as is. Lol. Congrats on your finds so far. HH
Merc

i agree. i'm up .50 on the deal. plus i was pleasantly surprised to see it in there.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
six half dollars is not bad at all for a $1000 bag! If I got those results consistently, I would be loaded

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread