First visit to Destin with a MD - Ace 250

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I spent the past 2 evenings walking the beach of Destin, FL with an Ace 250. I have learned that a lot of people chew Wrigley's Spearment gum and throw their wrappers on the beach. Boy, did I get tired of digging up candy wrappers. No 'real' finds, just about $1 of clad per day (2 hours per day of hunting).
I watched a guy MD'ing in about 5' of water. He had a high end White's unit, fully submerge-able. When he finally came on shore, I had to walk up and see how his day went. "Nothing today" he said, "But a few days ago, I landed a thick men's gold nugget bracelet valued at $750."

I asked him how deep the water was where he found it and he said about 3'. He went on to say that he's found several diamond rings in water depths of about 5'. He was using a large sand scooper with a long handle to dig with. Great guy to speak with.

I also visited a store in Fort Walton Beach and met a man named Jack. Great fellow! He sells White's MD's and had a slew of stuff to show off that he had found. He was a die-hard "Whites" guy.

I'm still debating on upgrading from the ding-ding Ace 250. For a long time, I've had my heart set on a Minelab Xterra 70 or 705. There's two things I have to have in a detector: Maximum bang for my buck and super lightweight.
Therefore, I think there's no other choice, than the Xterra 70-705 series.

Have any of you visited Destin - FWB area with your MD's? Any luck? Feedback? Advice to offer?

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Rd2nowr

Jan 2, 2008
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, IDX Pro, Sunray XL-1 Probe
Snyper, I live in South Alabama, about a hours drive from Ft. Walton Beach. My Brother-in-law lives there. I have done ok at the beach with my Whites's XLT and IDX Pro. I learned to do my searching perpindicular to the water. The XLT will auto trac better this way. My last trip I found a silver chain with heart pendant, a copper bracelet and $4.00 in change. I really tore the nickels up finding 17 of them. I don't know much about the Ace250 but I think Crackbadger uses one on the beach and he finds alot of GOLD!! Keep searchin' Tim

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out Crackbadger in annual finds in tnet forum and also on you tube, he has great tips for the ACE 250

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Many users have been quite successful with the 250 at the beach. If you can't find anything with it I doubt you'll do any better with anything else.

Bill

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 250 is a "lil yellow clad monster" if theres clad around that 250 will hit it , I've found jewelry with mine an I even use it as a shallow water machine.get on to youtube an do a search for either the 250 or look up John Whitecloud on you tube he has some great vids on the Ace 250.

hope this helps you out some :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread