Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody,

I got my first detector last week and I'm loving it!
like to give shout out to Bart at Big Boy Hobbies for hooking it up

I've been working a lot so I haven't had much time to hunt .I try to get in a half hour or hour if possible before it's dark.
Even though my times limited ,I find something every outing.So far I have about $4 in clad.Coolest coins out of it are a 1918 wheat penny and a 1905 barber dime.Found the barber last night-boy did that silver look pretty coming outta the hole!Found them both in my yard about 6" down.

Really loving detecting and the At pro in combination with the pro pointer is making it feel easy :)

Upvote 0

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby and the forum. You have done VERY well for the limited time you've had. Have any pictures of the finds to share? Finding silver in your first week is quite an accomplishment. I hope it is the first of many for you. Good luck.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. It took me over a year to find me 1st silver. You did well by buying from Bart, there is no better dealer anywhere. I got $6.17 today but I am retired so i can go out anytime. I will go ut again tomorrow to a place I haven't been in awhile and see how that goes.

Where in IL you at.

OP
OP
C

CoinCidence

Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. I'll take some pics of my finds tomorrow. I found my first bullet today too .looks like maybe a .22 or .25??? I'm in Lake County . Round Lake area

OP
OP
C

CoinCidence

Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photo10050622.jpg Photo10050621.jpg Photo10050619_1.jpg Photo10050619.jpg Photo10050617.jpg Photo10050616 (1).jpg

Not the best pics :(
I'm using an older loaner phone because mine is broken.

I have the entire weekend off so I'm planning on getting some good hunting in .Planning on working an old park by my dads later today.

OP
OP
C

CoinCidence

Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breakfast of champions!

Photo10051239.jpg

found these two in the yard this morning

sorry for crap pics

OP
OP
C

CoinCidence

Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm really liking the At Pro.I was surprised how user friendly it is.I ran it in standard the first couple times out but been running pro mode ever since. Almost all of my detecting has been in my little yard.It's amazing how much I've found in such a small amount of real estate.I go out there every day and keep finding stuff.I found a couple old mason jars around 8"-10" inches down but they were broken and empty . I was able to recover a porcelain lid for one of them intact.Was really hoping they were buried stashes though :(
Where I live was a summer retreat area for people from Chicago around the turn of the century.My neighborhood is full of little houses that used to be summer cottages and cabins. Unfortunately I probably won't find stuff much older than the early 1900's.

OP
OP
C

CoinCidence

Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The yard pays again!

found under the steps on my back porch-'61 dime-not the oldest but silver nonetheless

Photo10061030.jpg

OP
OP
C

CoinCidence

Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
made it to the park by my dad's house today
did pretty good
Canadian nickel
8 wheaties-2 of them Indian Heads!!!
and about $2 in clad and pennies

Photo10061745_1.jpg Photo10061745.jpg Photo10061750.jpg Photo10061752.jpg

my dad did pretty good too-he found a franc from the 50's and a few wheaties also.
he left earlier than I did though

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As said I also wanted to say.welcome to the hobby & site its an awesome place to chat with other on finds or machines can also b addictive seeing machines u dont have & want doesnt help the Bank account out lol good luck & it sounds like ur off to a great start learn ur machine, more u learn it the finds will get better & better

OP
OP
C

CoinCidence

Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man,this site helped me alot when i was deciding on which unit i was gonna buy and who to get it from.and that was just lurking.
I'm getting a good feel with my machine.Every time out it seems like i m getting better at calling my finds before digging them up.quarters,dimes, and pennies are easy nickels have been challenge though.i ve only found 2 and end up digging alot of foil clumps.no gold yet either.dont no if i just havent crossed paths with it or just missing signal?

Last edited:

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice way to start a hobby! Silver coins! Good for you. I am still waiting for a Barber. Have only dug 2 silver dimes - a merc and a Roosie. Since we mostly hunt the beaches, we get lots of clad, some jewelry (some silver, some gold, most junk), and lots and lots of trash.

Welcome to a great hobby and welcome to TNet.

HH,
Anita

OP
OP
C

CoinCidence

Oct 4, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Yeah!
Nickels have been a challenge so that's what I've been focusing on. I've only found 2.Really been after a Buffalo.
Haven't had a chance to hunt but once all week since I've been so busy and the ground was bone dry.
Yesterday we got a good rain so I took the At out in the yard while my gf was cooking breakfast.
2nd hole I dug after only 10-15 minutes outside I pull out exactly what I was after!!!!
Photo10131118.jpg Photo10131118_1.jpg
Couldn't believe it :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread