First Wheats and another first (Last for a while)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Have had a detector now for 22 days. This week I found my first wheaties:

No pics needed I am sure since you guys have seen them before.

I also found a button. Will be posting it as soon as I can clean it up a bit more. Its brass front, however the back of the button has long since been rusted out.

I got into detecting because I knew it would be a hobby that I really enjoyed; and I do. However, 2 things I kinda counted on went against me.

1. First hobby my wife could do with me, others she was too afraid. She got loads of ivy and heat rash so she couldn't.

2. Turns out after going to library to research a group of 3 peps hit this place like mad for about 15 years. They made the paper a number of times collecting.

Now I have really hit it hard of the last 3 weeks. Parks, playgrounds, and some seriously out of the way fields and some 1880+ houses. Really wanted the first silver. Turns out these 3 guys were pretty good. I have multiple witnesses that talked about how they would stake and rope areas for multiple and effective scanning.

I always knew something was up. I collected loads of baseball cards for years, and at the time I always looked at coins at many various locations around me. I noticed that most of the coin holders seemed to all have the same writing. LOL turns out it was them.

Anyways, I know that you can perhaps still find things left. However, since my wife and daughter cannot do this at this time of the year I am starting to hear "Yet another hobby to take your time that we cannot do." Shes right.....ain't a dang thing else to do though around this hole.

Cleaned detector and put up till winter. These 3 hit buildings galore and parks galore in many counties, however I cannot find anyone that said they did the mountain walking founding old long since gone homesteads. They appeared to only do places of high traffic and very large old homes.

In short, gonna finish up more computer certifications and try to keep detecting fever from making me pull this out of the box until winter and the death of all this poison ivy, and other junk keeping me out of the mountains. So far got 26 confirmed older small homesteads ranging from 1840-1930 long disappeared in the mountains both from research and speaking to people of age and wisdom. Plus these detectors I spoke of earlier were coin shooting and trying hard for pure profit. Peps that went with them said it was all about $$$ and nothing else. So they (I hope) had not gone far off the beaten path. So perhaps I can get some cool relics and even a silver coin or 2.

I wish you all great luck the rest of this summer. I know you hardly know me, however I will still be looking at your awesome finds. And will hopefully have some great items to begin showing you starting Novemberish once the weeds and foilage die down and my wife can go with me.

Thank you for reading this,
I will be posting and cheering you guys & gals..BAH lol you Detectors and THers on. THE FORUM DETECTOR I shall be LoL.

Postalrevnant

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Life is full of change.
Keep your positive attitude and hopefullness going Postalrevnant.
This isn't the easiest of hobbies at times,
keeping in perspective is a good thing.
Getting out enjoying the outdoors,
exercising, trying to find treasure.
Success is all in how we view things I suppose.
Wishing you only the best, good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000
The coinshooting machines are way better these days, i'm sure there are tons of silvers just waiting to be found. You may need to get a powerhouse detector like the Explorer2 but i'm positive they didn't get them all....

Good luck!

JW

OP
OP
Postalrevnant

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Re: First Wheats and another first (Last for a while) change that first cache

LOL no matter how hard I could try to put away a hobby for awhile, I never could.

Thanks for listening all. Thanks also for the encouragement. I guess most of the earlier post is really about a rant. I have been married for 14 years now and had many hobbies. Most were extreme and my wife didn't want to try it. I thought sure as the world I had found one for family. Its hard when the family doesn't do a hobby with you. Very much so, and I am sure many of you know this.

Your encouragement has caused me to not put the detector up yet. Instead of 1800's houses doing research now on the 1910-1940 places. Did 2 more digs (6 hours) since this post. Still no silver yet, but its a coming I am sure.

One great note for me. I finally met another detector. He has been doing it for 20 years. MAN I sure learned a lot from him. Digging much less trash now that I have learned much more on the discrimination. Was afraid of possibly missing out on gold, so have been running without any discrimination. Also, he taught me much about the items that were giving me great signals for a 1/2 swing, then changing them on the other swing. I didn't really realize, perhaps because I wasn't discriminating much at all, that the changes in tone from one swing to another were the detector descriminating out trash.

Also learned that the 3 that hit this place like mad, for sure could have easily missed alot. This guy I went detecting with had went hunting with them about 3 times. He says he wouldn't go with them again. They jump from site to site only scanning for items quarter and up. They wouldn't dig anything else up. NO WONDER they covered so many houses.

Oh, as an answer to one of your posts. I have been stopping and asking many private homes. That is how I found out about these 3 guys. Of course I will need to go back to those houses again, now that I have learned much from my new friend. A great chance that I might have missed some stuff.

Thanks for letting my vent a little. It's great to have peps even if you don't know who they are in real, to help you out.

BTW I shouldn't complain too much. I found another Wheaty...can't make out date yet but think its either: 1919 or 1909. I have had the detector officially tomorrow for 1 month and I have found just short of $60. in clad. Guess that one great start. Of course I have probably spent just short of 2x in gas lol.

Thanks again all. OH and a special thanks for the tip on checking around the business's for open lots etc. I hadn't been doing that yet. IT led to another FIRST today.

MY FIRST cache: All in same small 1 ft x 1 ft area all clad:
12 quarters
25 dimes
2 nickels
33 pennies

LOL I thought I had hit a gold mine, but each came out claddier than the next. Still that is killer.

Thanks again,

Postalrevnant

P.S. Doing a killer computer certification tomorrow. Wish me luck, hopefully didn't detect too much and studied enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread