Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm flying up for the mac race today WD !! Let's hope the lake treats me good.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
DF795279-E695-4C6B-9ABC-CFC2105CF28B.jpeg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
First time I was in Fla there was a fishing contest for what they called dolphin. I thought dolphin wasn't a fair catch.
Seemed wrong. Then I learned a dolphin was another name for a game fish. I forgot the other name. (of course)

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hvacker.....what's been up ?? The dolphin goes by many names.....Dorado, dolphin, mahi mahi, then they get broken up into size names too. Peanut = very small, schoolie=a little bigger than peanut but lots of them all the same size. Then you have heavy lifters=any bigger they will break the line lifting them in the boat. Next is gaffer=to heavy to lift in, must use the gaff or they will break the line. Then you have slammers= big fish 20+ pounds up to 80 pounds. They can also be called cows=females=rounded forehead, then there bulls=male=square forehead. And I'll bet I'm forgetting a few slang names. It dosent matter what you call them, what size they are, or what sex they are.....they all taste great and are hard to mess up cooking. Very flexible and forgiving on the grill....or fryer...or broiled...or boiled...or sauteed...or even raw as sushi. They grow extremely fast also. Very good game fish with spectacular leaps and jumps. Also easy to hook when there hungry....which is most of the time. Incredibly beautiful.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, it appears I am not going to get the information I wanted. I think about half of us (if not more) are in the dog house. :laughing9: So here's what I know. The record total for the event was 1540 walleye caught. This year on Thursday alone they caught 1058 walleye. Day two was officially cancelled due to rough waters, but there were some who went out anyway. This caused a hiccup in the count. Saturday, they went out and had another great day of fishing. I am sure they set a new record, but I don't have the final numbers.

I was asked last year to go around with "one of the guys who picks up fish and takes them to the cleaning place." I bowed up in the middle and told MR WD that I wasn't running around with some stranger. This year, I found out who one of those guys were, and I was excited to do the task. I had met this guy a couple years ago and thought he was a nice guy and at last years fall event I even gave him a hug. He was happy to have me tag along. We talked and talked! He was an MP in Iraq. I didn't get to ask him how, but Mr Wd had told me he received a spinal injury. He started out as one of the Heroes and has been volunteering now (a lot of them do).

Here he is passing out shirts on Day 1.

DSCN0286.jpg

He was so inspired by my picture taking that he went out and bought himself a camera. So, I will be taking pictures somewhere else next year. Maybe with another guy, if I find out who it is and if I know him.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I see a large mouth bass in that group of photos ??

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even black beard got one. Man those numbers are insane.....you guys caught them all.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Con't...

This is one of our Gold Star Families. We had two families that we recognized this year. This is the one that fished with us. The father died while serving in Iraq when this little dude was 3 years old.

DSCN0308.jpg DSCN0309.jpg

The guy lying under the fish is one of my camera flirts.

DSCN0310.jpg DSCN0312.jpg DSCN0313.jpg DSCN0315.jpg

They had so many that they couldn't get them all on the board.

DSCN0317.jpg

Our tubs were over flowing.

DSCN0318.jpg

Here's the haul we took to the fish cleaning station. Those two large ones were put on ice and taken to the taxidermist.

DSCN0320.jpg DSCN0324.jpg

Whew! And that was day one! I'll try to get back to posting in a couple days.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Even black beard got one. Man those numbers are insane.....you guys caught them all.

That dude had so much fun that weekend! You couldn't slap the smile off of his face!:laughing9:

I don't know if I'll see him again or not. A little something that got explained to me this year: All of the Kentucky Wounded Heroes are invited back every year. Then the rest come from online applications. This year the guys also came from: OH, IN, WV, PA, IL, MI, and the furthest OK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of our Gold Star Families. We had two families that we recognized this year. This is the one that fished with us. The father died while serving in Iraq when this little dude was 3 years old.

Click image for larger version.

Name: DSCN0308.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 341.4 KB
ID: 1736169
I cant help but get a tear in my eye......can only think of my own son and how hard that would be for him. God bless that family......I pray for the best for them.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Edit: With deepest regret I will no longer be promoting this organization. Certain issues have arisen, which I was under the impression were going to be corrected. They were not. Other unethical practices have been revealed and I cannot and will not jeopardize my integrity and values. I pray for the sake of these veterans/families, that the "organization" takes the proper steps to rectify the situation for future events.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey hvacker.....what's been up ?? The dolphin goes by many names.....Dorado, dolphin, mahi mahi, then they get broken up into size names too. Peanut = very small, schoolie=a little bigger than peanut but lots of them all the same size. Then you have heavy lifters=any bigger they will break the line lifting them in the boat. Next is gaffer=to heavy to lift in, must use the gaff or they will break the line. Then you have slammers= big fish 20+ pounds up to 80 pounds. They can also be called cows=females=rounded forehead, then there bulls=male=square forehead. And I'll bet I'm forgetting a few slang names. It dosent matter what you call them, what size they are, or what sex they are.....they all taste great and are hard to mess up cooking. Very flexible and forgiving on the grill....or fryer...or broiled...or boiled...or sauteed...or even raw as sushi. They grow extremely fast also. Very good game fish with spectacular leaps and jumps. Also easy to hook when there hungry....which is most of the time. Incredibly beautiful.

Thanks for all that Fl treasure lore. A lot more than I imagined. I'm glad y'all don't eat dolphins. Unless they are tasty.
When I was reading your post I could actually smell fish.... Turns out it was my swamp cooler that needed a flush.
More trouble than they are worth (unless it's hot out)

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caught some tiny Yellowfin... Scan_20190727 (2).jpg Gotta click it three times to see, not sure why.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread