nozzlehead

Greenie
Mar 20, 2013
Trumbull Co. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I'm new to the detecting world and have a question. I know...""go figure" right? Anyways, I have a Fisher 1266X. I've had this in my garage for at least the last 8 yrs. I's the XB model that came in the hard case. After being fed up with the winter, I decided to pull this out and finally use it so I started reading on it. It sounds like a heck of a unit. My question is; Where would this fit in today? What out there is the closest comparable to it; doesn't have to be Fisher, just whatever? I plan to use this for a while and if I choose to by a new unit, I'd like to know where I need to look in order to upgrade. I thank all who respond!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A similar detector would be the Tesoro X5, before they "tuned it down", if you have one of the older versions. The 1266 is sort of in a class all by itself. It's a very HOT unit (snap crackle pop, that you have to know what you're listening for, find "repeatable" targets, etc...). It's not suitable for mineralized soil, and the TID wains in minerals at depth, etc.... This is all just my opinion mind you. Others love it, and get adjusted to it. Perhaps their minerals and type-sites-they-hunt are suitable for this? Where I'm at, some guys have done good with it in dry white sand, where it kicks b*tt on depth (1.5 foot on a quarter!). But no, when they go to other types hunt spots, ..... they might reach for another type detector.

OP
OP
N

nozzlehead

Greenie
Mar 20, 2013
Trumbull Co. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody else can comment on this? There's gotta be some members on here that have first hand experience with a 1266x that can chime in on a modern compairable.

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see them now and again on the bay they go for good money I had the 1260x it was a heck of a detector but the 1266x is meant to be awesome for its time. Could it keep up with a modern high end machine say the ctx 3030 I wouldnt think so apples and pears. Saying that some on here swear by the 1266x.

also i understand the only difference between the x and the xb is the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread