Kellyco you disappointed me!

LasVegasAngel

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Son has a birthday this Friday 3/22/13 so I finally decided to ordered him the metal detector he wanted for a very long time. A little research over the Net led me to Kellyco’s web site as the most reliable and with the most positive reviews .
With their “10 Reasons to Buy Your Metal Detector From Kellyco Metal Detectors:” they instantly gained my trust and I was ready to spend my hard earned money just to see my Son’s smile and surprise him for his birthday.
So last Friday 3/15/13 I picked up the phone and dialed their number.
The 10 minute wait for the sales rep didn’t bothered me at all because I figured they were busy witch means a lot of people trust them and doing business with them.
When I was placing the order the sales rep checked that the product was available and assured me it will be shipped the next day 3/16/13 to my address. With the ground shipping he estimated the delivery on Thursday the 21st. On my confirmation e-mail it says Ship date 3/16/2013. Unfortunately I noticed he put down a wrong apartment number even though I asked him twice to repeat my address so I can confirm it was correct. I called immediately and another sales rep corrected it and sent me a confirmation e-mail with the correct address.
From this point I was happy and confident and was imagining the surprise on my Son’s face. So I patiently started to wait for the tracking number. Saturday afternoon passed- no tracking number ( we are Pacific time zone), evening passed –still no tracking number. Well I said maybe they already sent it and I‘ll get the tracking on Monday. Monday morning passed –still no tracking number.
I called Kellyco’s phone number and they transferred me to the original sales rep who tells me that they mixed something in the warehouse but my product is going to be shipped this afternoon (Monday that is 3/18/13). So I started waiting patiently for my tracking number “again”. Monday afternoon passes –still no tracking number. Monday evening –same thing.
Called them on Tuesday 3/19/13 noon my time and refused to speak with the same rep since he lied to me twice already. The other sales rep (I didn’t get his name because I was extremely upset at this point) tells me that my product is a backorder.
I was shocked and speechless from his statement. I requested to speak to a supervisor or a manager but instead my phone number was taken and I was told a manager would contact me. No one did for the rest of the day.
This Morning I received and e-mail stating that my order “has been fulfilled and is set to go out in our next shipment” with a tracking number that when I try to track it gives me “No record of this tracking number can be found. For more information, please contact Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339” message.” Called again and was told that I would see an actual tracking after 7pm Pacific time. I am still waiting but not so patiently anymore.
Final Thoughts: I am writing this post so I can express how unpleasant my experience with this purchase was and still is. Buying it for a loved one as a Birthday present doubles the disappointment. Gaining the consumers’ confidence in tough economic times especially for products Made in USA and sold by US companies to me requires giving that little extra care and customer service satisfaction. Companies making false statements and not fulfilling their promises are not helping at all for the economic recovery. Honesty and fairness would help too. If the sales person knew that product was a backorder he should have stated so. I would have had enough time to get it from another smaller company that would be more than happy to get it on time for the occasion. For some people time is of an essence.
Bottom line is my very first experience with Kellyco is a huge disappointment. I am sure there are a lot of happy Kellyco customers but in my case that did not happen. For those who go through this forum to do their research before they buy their metal detector make sure you don’t get promised something they don’t have.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar "backordered" experience with them after waiting a few days and it seems its their normal practice because you and I are not alone on the suddenly "backordered" email. Luckily I have 2 hobby stores in my city and they will always get my $ now and in the future. Good luck!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently had a disappointing experience with them as well and posted it in the vendor forum. You would think they would have someone monitor the forums as a vendor sponsor, but it appears that they don't, or don't care.

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LasvegasAngel,

Call Gene Knight at 888.535.5926 ext 106 and He can remedy the situation. but call him ASAP!

JW

Gene@Kellyco

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LasVegasAngel, contact me right away and I will fix the problem. call us and ask for Gene Knight! Let the call center know I told you to call, thanks!

OP
OP
L

LasVegasAngel

Mar 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Gene Knight for the lightning reaction. You brought the smile back on my face.
Kellyco Rep Gene Knight has promised to redo my order and ship it overnight .

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other important point to make about Kelly Co regarding their return policy. While they say they have a money back guarantee, it does not apply if you take the detector out of the box and assemble it. At that point if you choose to return it, there will be a restocking fee, something like 20 or 30%. So you need to be really sure you are picking the right detector or it will be really expensive.

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Gene Knight for the lightning reaction. You brought the smile back on my face.
Kellyco Rep Gene Knight has promised to redo my order and ship it overnight .

Sorta fishy to go from backordered to overnight shipped don't ya think? Somebody else is gonna get a backordered email...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep us Updated L_V

Gene@Kellyco

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its was no longer in back order because we finally received them in from Fisher

Gene@Kellyco

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoinHunterAZ, contact me directly and I will do all I can to resolve the issue. call us and ask for Gene Knight at ext 106, I will be here until 6pm eastern or all day tomorrow.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
In too many businesses, too often no one is willing to step up and take care of a problem.

WAY TO GO GENE!!!!! for taking the bull by the horns, and take care of a problem.
I have purchased from Kellyco in the past, and was pleased with the service, and customer service, but this was before TV shows made detecting so popular.

Bill

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its was no longer in back order because we finally received them in from Fisher

Ok. I'm not trying to down Kellyco but when people place an order and the item is not in stock meaning within the walls of Kellyco then the item should be placed on backorder immediately so the customer knows they are not going to get the item right away. An item that is on order with your supplier, on its way to you, or in the truck down the street should not be considered in stock. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh but I and several others have had the same issue.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gene,

Thank you, I will contact you tomorrow. This is regarding an AT Pro purchase and I will discuss the details with you on the phone. Thanks for stepping up to the plate for KellyCo.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too called KellyCo for a quote, but after sitting on hold for so long I simply gave up
and called another vendor. KellyCo was my initial call for a quote on a detector and
a few extras I wanted in the package.

No disrespect intended to KellyCo, but when some members here have to intercede
on behalf of the buyer in order to get the purchase completed (rather than the buyer
go elsewhere) is just bunk. Customers should not have to be going to such lengths
when KellyCo is a long time established business that markets themselves as a customer
friendly, honest dealer.

Gene: JMHO, but perhaps it's time for some "house cleaning" at KellyCo, and get rid of the
lying sales reps before the KellyCo reputation is completely shot to hell?

If KellyCo can again offer the level of service that the independent dealers provide then
no doubt things there will improve, but whats going on currently appears more like a
company that is taking it's last gasps, trying to stay afloat. As a consumer, that makes
me weary of doing business there.

My sincere best wishes for the company, as KellyCo has been around a long time, and
hoping that Mgt. will straighten out the business (or sell it). Then, the "Old KellyCo" will
emerge from the rubble, and KellyCo will be stronger and better than ever.

twocents-1.gif

Last edited:

WoofWoof

Greenie
Apr 28, 2012
Gettysburg
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT Pro, Fisher F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel your pain, I have been trying to get a return call from them for over a week. I call, leave a message and it must be going into limbo or some place south of there.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the Kellyco rep seems to be reading this, I too will briefly tell my story.

Essentially, no reponse to several email messages NOR any access to the "live chat" thing that never seems to work.

I then had very VERY poor customer service by 2 different sales members over the phone.

The result was that I went to a different company and spent several thousand bucks.

I tell this in hopes that you (or somebody) will see a pattern emerge and change the problems before Kellyco really tanks due to lost customers. I do not require or desire an apology or anything, but it is clear that Kellyco was once top of the rock when it comes to MD sales in the U.S. It is essentially impossible to find complaints about the company until just recently. CLEARLY, something has changed at the company. And I don't just mean the economy or a very busy rush associated with new TV shows which grow the popularity of detecting. A very core issue that I would guess has something to do with either management shifts or owner changes (speaking from experience on that guess).

Good luck and please take heed to what people are telling you. It should be a very clear message,

WM

halfstep

May 11, 2010
I ordered a book from kellyco without any problems but I have heard to many complaints to ever order a detector from them. If they ever get things straightened out, I might consider ordering from them.

1graeman

Mar 7, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why I ordered my Pioneer 505 online with KellyCo. That way I have only myself to blame if it ships to the wrong address. My shipment delivered on time to my house just like the tracking number said it would. Everything was as it should have been with no damaged items. Thank you Kellyco...:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread