Fisher 1280x Woes

xtimgx

Mar 17, 2006
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
So I somehow sliced the wire at the base of the coil. It's broken, blah blah. I know this particular model does not have interchangeable coils. I opened the detector housing(I have experience in electronics modifications) and looked at the connection wire to the coil. If I was to buy another coil from Fisher(unless other brands work) on Ebay and hard wire the two wires in, it should work. I'm familiar that detectors work by emitting a pulse signal down two wires. So theoretically, it should work. I think the biggest problem may be rewaterproofing the control box. Regardless, I'd like to get it to work again. Thoughts?
-Tim

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
The same thing (or similiar problem) happened to my 1280 a while back. The wire went bad about 2 inches up from the coil..
I cut it open and found the break in the wire. I resoldered all the wires at that point. (4 wires).
I used electrical tape to cover the new soldered ends, wrapped the immediate area with the electrical tape, then I used a 2 part epoxy over the entire area that was cut, (maybe 6 inches worth), to seal it up good, then for an extra measure of security, I used this shrinkwrap type of rubberized tape over the entire epoxy covered area.
Then I prayed!!!
It's been about 11 months now since I've done that, and so far, I've had no problems whatsoever. And I use that machine ALOT.
It was my cheapest, and quickest fix at the time.
Good luck!

Jim101

Mar 14, 2008
North Central Texas
Our dog ate through my wire where the coiling stops before the headphones, yes I was upset.... Stripped it back and used "Butt Plugs" then wrapped it in electrical tape, I like the epoxy idea, I may add that. No problems, so far..

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread