Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They last 30 to 40hrs if you buy good ones. The F75ltd has some tricks or secrets too. How does JE mode hit real small targets that you can't hardly find over DE mode with both modes maxed out on sens. What changes in PF mode and BC mode? Something does. Is the frequency changing? Nobody will say. DST is a trick many new detectors need. EMI killed with it. Static all metal mode IDs too. That is crazy deep, by drives me nuts. It say Fisher messed up not naming the F75LTD a F80 or something different. The got everybody confused.

I’m very very happy you’re happy it just didn’t work for me in my high mineralized soil. It’s all good.

kjernigan

Oct 28, 2012
NC
Detector(s) used
F75ltd/Fisher Coinstrike/ Fisher CZ5/ Minelab Explorer XS/ Minelab Sov/ Teknetics T2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m very very happy you’re happy it just didn’t work for me in my high mineralized soil. It’s all good.

It might not work in your soil. I have backup detectors for special conditions or when I go to the beach. Most soil around me is very good and reads no bars on the iron graph. I saw bad soil years ago when I went to the NC mountains and my CZ5 called everything 2 inches deep or deeper iron. Shocked me.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might not work in your soil. I have backup detectors for special conditions or when I go to the beach. Most soil around me is very good and reads no bars on the iron graph. I saw bad soil years ago when I went to the NC mountains and my CZ5 called everything 2 inches deep or deeper iron. Shocked me.

My F75 use to ground balance in the high 80’s

kjernigan

Oct 28, 2012
NC
Detector(s) used
F75ltd/Fisher Coinstrike/ Fisher CZ5/ Minelab Explorer XS/ Minelab Sov/ Teknetics T2+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My F75 use to ground balance in the high 80’s

I usually get around 50GB with no iron bars. I get GB in the 40s with Nel coils.

kjernigan

Oct 28, 2012
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish our ground was mild

A lot of land around here is sand and the old stuff comes up looking nice. I hunted a new permission to day and found some flat buttons. You can read the markings on the back as soon as you dig them. Only had a little time and can't wait to get back.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a sound approach. No detetector excels under all possible conditions. In really bad soil, extended hunts I have three detectors in the truck, one of them being a PI detector.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I choose to sell my F75 and my Max because I knew I was going to a total different animal and knowing I’m a creature of habit I would have put the 800 down and used what I was familiar with. This way I had no choice lol

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of land around here is sand and the old stuff comes up looking nice. I hunted a new permission to day and found some flat buttons. You can read the markings on the back as soon as you dig them. Only had a little time and can't wait to get back.

I love that soil we have that Louisiana Clay to deal with. Not everywhere just where the coins are. Lol

kjernigan

Oct 28, 2012
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sound approach. No detetector excels under all possible conditions. In really bad soil, extended hunts I have three detectors in the truck, one of them being a PI detector.

Good plan.

kjernigan

Oct 28, 2012
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that soil we have that Louisiana Clay to deal with. Not everywhere just where the coins are. Lol

Yeah. That red clay in the mountains I tried to hunt, looked like melted bricks.

kjernigan

Oct 28, 2012
NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the summer we call it ssphalt

In super bad dirt and black sand, my Coinstrike put my other machines to shame. It was average in good dirt and sucks in EMI, But it is something special with tracking on in the worst dirt. That's why I still have it. It don't play around in nail beds either. Jumps right on good targets.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a bunch of footage for a youtube upload of signal compairing with the 800 and my F75. I ended up deleting it because we did a group hunt and needed space on the card. Need to do that again one day.

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The F75 is a better detector than the Nox? sorry no, the 75 is a very good machine but the nox is a better machine in nearly every respect. I have used a 75 extensively but the first time I used a Nox it blew me away. It's deeper in most ground and recovery is a lot faster. I also mainly beach hunt and there's no comparison there either.

Last edited:

Timecop67

May 22, 2017
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Orx, Teknetics 8500, Treasure Baron with Gold Module
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ergonomics on the Nox/vs F75. F75 wins. Batteries and life....like the open AA batt F75 design as I don't water hunt.
From what I've read more round iron targets identified as good and dug with Nox...stuff like bottle-caps.
Pinpointing like the older trigger type on F75.

But yes NOX is newer electronics design than the F75 and should do better in the ground. I'm waiting for Fisher to bring out the upgraded F100 or pulse machines based on the manta project. Will have to sort through reviews at that time and if units are priced too high may go with the XP Deus if Fisher has no reasonable offerings.

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don’t understand the competency of these videos,or why they’re valid..If one machine could do somthing better than another then I guess the latter machine just won’t find anything ever again?Sounds kinda stupid huh?
I guess it comes down to a relic hunters point of view to a coin hunters point of view as to which machine is better for your needs..Have owned every machine out there,several times and although I thought the equinox was ok,it wasn’t my top pick..Visual ID was way too compressed and well,it’s a multi freak Minelab and loves deep iron..Id sooner pass over a 10 inch coin being called iron on the f75 than dig multiple 10 inch nails because the equinox calls them a coin..not even a close call there on my choice.
The deus is a relic machine,and although it has a expanded ID range it sucks for accuracy.And from the videos I’ve seen,so does the orx...If your a relic hunter digging everything that squeaks then the deus,orx And imo the equinox is probably a great machine.Im selective and try to dig as little junk and iron as I can.The AT pro and f75 trump the deus,Orx And equinox for visual ID reliability,not even close.
Like I said these videos are coming from a relic hunters point of view and are misleading to anyone who targets coins ,especially if you want to avoid zincs.Dug a lot of zincs with the equinox in the 26 range on ID..

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peterw, the underlying factor is stuff you want has to be in the ground to begin with. I hunted a park a couple years ago, something that's really not my style and got so many wheat cents, buffalos, and Indian cents it got tiring. And lots were deep. And there was a ton of junk there too. A lot of the nickels are in the gold range, and I didn't get any gold. Just didn't get the loop over any.

I'm going retro with really deep analog machines and PI machines for awhile. Although digging a silver dime at 18" can be so annoying.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don’t understand the competency of these videos,or why they’re valid..If one machine could do somthing better than another then I guess the latter machine just won’t find anything ever again?Sounds kinda stupid huh?
I guess it comes down to a relic hunters point of view to a coin hunters point of view as to which machine is better for your needs..Have owned every machine out there,several times and although I thought the equinox was ok,it wasn’t my top pick..Visual ID was way too compressed and well,it’s a multi freak Minelab and loves deep iron..Id sooner pass over a 10 inch coin being called iron on the f75 than dig multiple 10 inch nails because the equinox calls them a coin..not even a close call there on my choice.
The deus is a relic machine,and although it has a expanded ID range it sucks for accuracy.And from the videos I’ve seen,so does the orx...If your a relic hunter digging everything that squeaks then the deus,orx And imo the equinox is probably a great machine.Im selective and try to dig as little junk and iron as I can.The AT pro and f75 trump the deus,Orx And equinox for visual ID reliability,not even close.
Like I said these videos are coming from a relic hunters point of view and are misleading to anyone who targets coins ,especially if you want to avoid zincs.Dug a lot of zincs with the equinox in the 26 range on ID..

The flaw in the above logic is that you assume that Equinox (or Deus) for that matter has no tells for deep or flat iron which is simply not true. Yeah you will get a high tone, but easy tells include iron grunt off the edge and use of the pinpointer to simply observe you are passing over something too big to be a button or bullet. So yeah, I will dig that iron "high tone" with Equinox or Deus, not because I don't know I am digging iron, but because I want to make sure that iron is not masking something else or is not itself something I might want to recover. One of my best finds was a Deus high tone off the back end of a parrot shell buried 1.5 feet down. Knew it was probable big iron because of the depth for the signal strength, but did not give up on it and was rewarded. People who pass over the "certain" iron are the ones who are risking leaving behind the goodies lying beside or beneath it or leaving behind a spur, projectile, bayonet, or sword blade (big iron can result in a decent relic or lead to a trash pit).

Also, I 100% agree with you that the Equinox TID is compressed, that makes the vdi stable. Similarly, 100% agree the Deus TID is bouncy. But TID accuracy is not a detector attribute I associate with relic hunting but more with coin shooting. Coin denominations typcally fall within nice orderly TID bins, relics do not due to the variety of shapes, sizes, and metals. So I am basically digging anything non-ferrous regardless of TID.

You say you are a relic hunter, but your philosophy to leave the certain deep iron sounding targets and focus on TID, sounds more like a coin hunter. Not a biggie, just two different philosophies on relic recovery here and I get why you wouldn't necessarily think Equinox or Deus are all that. I think it is less, though, about relic vs. coinshooters here (Calabash is almost exclusively a relic hunter) and really less about F75 vs. Equinox either. You approach relic hunting and iron not because of the way your detector behaves but because you would rather bypass iron, period. I get why people line up on one side or the other on certain detectors, and I think it has to do more about hunting philosophies than detector capabilities. My 2 cents FWIW.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like both machines and use them where I see fit. Also use the Tejon in between. I think each one shines on different sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread