Fisher F5 with 11" DD Coil

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should be a little pock mark on center rib of coil. The DD coil is lots different on pinpoint. You have to keep " detuning" the pinpointer. Get in the sound while in pinpoint all metal release and press and hold again then repeat until signal gets smaller. Easy to get the side to side but takes a little more work front to back. The settings are dependant on what you are hunting. Run gain as high as possible to be stable. The thresh is pesonal preference. If ya want gold, use a small gold ring and set discriminate just a little below where it kicks out. I came close to buying f5. Hear they are a great detector.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help. Got the dd coil today, tried it out on some surface stuff and in a fairly clean yard and I'm noticing it's quite unstable. Had to turn send down to 50 with -3 thresh to be stable. Suggestions?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help. Got the dd coil today, tried it out on some surface stuff and in a fairly clean yard and I'm noticing it's quite unstable. Had to turn send down to 50 with -3 thresh to be stable. Suggestions?

If you bought it used, clean out coil cover. If new, make sure you don't have security systems turned on or any dog fences which could effect signal. Most detectors can't be well set up at home. As for pinpointing with DD coil, forget the turn ninety degrees BS which you use for Concentric coils. When you about know where the target is, do the "Minelab Wiggle" which is used for DD coils. Slowly move the coil in short sideways sweeps and pull the coil back toward you. When the signal disappears, slowly push the coil forward till you again hear it and the target is just off the tip of the coil. Practice this and it is faster than using the pinpoint button.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

Mezrein503

Jul 7, 2010
Hillboro
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought it new from Kellyco, also bought a 10 for my goldbug 2. Do t have a security system or dog fence. Guess I'll try to do some "field" work and see how it does

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought it new from Kellyco, also bought a 10 for my goldbug 2. Do t have a security system or dog fence. Guess I'll try to do some "field" work and see how it does

Check to see if its unstable in more than one hunting place. I suspect you probably hit some EMI like was mentioned. If you try several parks with same result you may have a problem. I didn't sell it to you but feel free to give me a ring with questions.

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Sandman and Bart said.
I pinpoint off the tip of the coil. Trying to use in pinpoint with that coil will cause you to loose control of certian body functions.

bluescruise

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Vancouver, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, White's Prizm II, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need help. Got the dd coil today, tried it out on some surface stuff and in a fairly clean yard and I'm noticing it's quite unstable. Had to turn send down to 50 with -3 thresh to be stable Suggestions?

Did you try switching frequencies? That works on my F5 with the 11" dd sometimes. That 11" DD coil, is an EMI magnet. Groound balance that machine, then hold the coil off the ground about 2 or 3 feet. If it's chatty, it's EMI, more than likely. Thisi where the switching frequencies can help out. If it's more chatty while making sweeps close to the ground, manually raise the ground balance to about +1 and see if that helps.

HH!

BC

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread