Fisher Pulse 8x Sensitivity

Rokstaar

Jun 26, 2023
Is the Pulse 8x no good for surf/shore?
So I bought this a month or so ago. Thinking that it would be really accurate for surf and sand detecting on the beach. My friend has the whites TDI beach metal detector. That thing works amazing! He finds so much stuff. The few times I've been out with mine I almost never find anything. We even put a small ring into the sand and it only found it when it was exposed.

I've read on some forums that it's not the greatest for finding small things like rings. It's more geared towards treasures, cannonballs things like that.

What would the a good alternative? Or is there something I can do to make this more sensitive? I know they make a larger diameter coil than the 7 1/2-in one that comes with it. But from what I've read that doesn't make it any more sensitive.

I looked at the mine lab Excalibur 2. But it's not a pulse detector and I feel that that's really what I would like.

Can anyone recommend a fully submersible pulse detector that is good for what I'm trying to do?
I know Garrett has the Sea Hunter Mark II. But I have understood that's not as sensitive that's what I'm looking for..
Should I sell this JW Fisher?

Thanks ahead of time for any help with this.

Attachments

• 20230623_024203.jpg
    20230623_024203.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't much available in the new PI machines right now. I haven't heard of anything particularly bad about an 8X on small targets. Maybe it's not working correctly? Did you buy it new? Warranty? The Excal and other VLF waterproof multifrequency machines are so good now, the PI machines offer very little advantage. Maybe a bit of depth under certain conditions, but, that's about all. If you're set on a waterproof PI machine, other that what you have already mentioned, a used Garrett Infinium LS or Tesoro Sand Shark would be an option. New, maybe an Aquascan? Fisher still has the Impulse AQ limited and is supposed to be working on an improved regular model. Currently, I can't recommend the limited.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and by the way. The J.W. Fishers machines are in no way related to the Fisher metal detectors made by First Texas. You may want to go to the J.W. Fishers section to get more input from users......if there are any here.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pulse 8x is a commercial detector for locating big objects. Built like a tank, but performance sucks for typical hobby targets like jewelry. Use it for locating Atocha bars, otherwise buy something else. Here are my suggestions, in order:

Impulse AQ
AquaStar
TDI BeachHunter
Beachscan Mk2
Headhunter PI
Surfmaster PI
Sea Hunter MK2
Sandshark

The Impulse AQ comes with the caveat of having a spotty reliability record. Supposedly improved, time will tell.

Reactions: ARC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Impulse AQ limited lives up to it's name.....very depth limited in how deep you can submerge it. It's had a host of other problems too, including but not limited to: hard parts breaking, cable failures, switch pot failures, false signals in the surf, etc.

Reactions: ARC

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I bought this a month or so ago. Thinking that it would be really accurate for surf and sand detecting on the beach. My friend has the whites TDI beach metal detector. That thing works amazing! He finds so much stuff. The few times I've been out with mine I almost never find anything. We even put a small ring into the sand and it only found it when it was exposed.

I've read on some forums that it's not the greatest for finding small things like rings. It's more geared towards treasures, cannonballs things like that.

What would the a good alternative? Or is there something I can do to make this more sensitive? I know they make a larger diameter coil than the 7 1/2-in one that comes with it. But from what I've read that doesn't make it any more sensitive.

I looked at the mine lab Excalibur 2. But it's not a pulse detector and I feel that that's really what I would like.

Can anyone recommend a fully submersible pulse detector that is good for what I'm trying to do?
I know Garrett has the Sea Hunter Mark II. But I have understood that's not as sensitive that's what I'm looking for..
Should I sell this JW Fisher?

Thanks ahead of time for any help with this.
I have been detecting for 40 years, 25 years ago I used a Fisher Pulse, they don't make anymore, found thousands here in Japan pulse rings, Got a CZ-21 that was great for in the water because it is heavy, land you can get a chest harness. Write me back if you want more info

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Pulse 8x is a commercial detector for locating big objects. Built like a tank, but performance sucks for typical hobby targets like jewelry. Use it for locating Atocha bars, otherwise buy something else. Here are my suggestions, in order:

Impulse AQ
AquaStar
TDI BeachHunter
Beachscan Mk2
Headhunter PI
Surfmaster PI
Sea Hunter MK2
Sandshark

The Impulse AQ comes with the caveat of having a spotty reliability record. Supposedly improved, time will tell.
I like mine, but need some time to understand it

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I mentioned before, Fisher and J.W. Fishers are two completely different companies and although they both make PI machines, they're not even close to being the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread