longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Day 1 with the F70 3/16/09

Badger ,Badger ,Badger what am i in for LOL??? ... im chomping at the bit can't wait for mine to get here... i've been reading the manual off the internet to try to get one leg up on it .. good luck to ya HH paul
let me know how things progress...

George (MN)

May 16, 2005

After dozens of hours of air testing, I've discovered a few things not in the manual. What sensitivity can be used & have stable detection & no falsing, at least in the presence of household electrical noise-which is also present in our back yard-depends on the threshold setting, mode, & to some degree, the disc setting. It isn't very intuitive, IMO.

Some of the better settings: DE all metal threshold -9 may be best. At sens 40, it correctly IDed a quarter at 9 inches (all tests are air tests-the ground is just starting to unfreeze here).

DE disc: threshold -1, sens 60-99; thresh 0, sens 30-50; thresh +1, sens 15, may or may not be occasional falsing, but can ID quarter at 9 1/2".

SL all metal: sens 30-45 with thresh -9 to -6, 11" on quarter with correct ID. Fairly soft beep.

SL disc: threshold -3, sens 60-90, 10" correct ID on quarter, even when I slowed to a moderate speed. Quarter was very loud!

IDs jump even in moderately mineralized soil on the deeper coins. Around here a 5" deep copper penny or dime may read zinc, dime, or quarter (#s 55-85), in DE disc mode.

People write about how much deeper the all metal mode is. Probably significant difference when sweeping slow. The disc likes a fairly fast to very fast sweep for best depth.

The manual mentions the detector may be more stable on the ground than in the air, so if above settings are stable, then you might try turning up sens or thresh & see what happens.

I haven't had a chance to try the + threshold settings away from electrical interference, but they are supposed to be good for tiny items as in gold prospecting. HH, George (MN)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Badger , It looks like i will not get myself a F70 for one thing that i have never been good at is ground balancing................

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Michigan Badger said:
Jim_K said:
Badger , It looks like i will not get myself a F70 for one thing that i have never been good at is ground balancing................

Thie F70 ground balances itself. You just need to find a bare spot which isn't easy round here!

You push the button and pump the coil the machine does it all for you.

Badger
I will have to check one out and see how it works if i can find one..............And the price for a F70 is reasonable for a good detector not crazy out of wack like a lot of them today................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread