Fishing: A brown trout with a surprise! ( not for the squeamish )

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Attachments

• phpZMisJ7PM.jpg
    phpZMisJ7PM.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 733
K

Kentucky Kache

It's amazing the size fish another fish can swallow.
You went fishing TODAY!? :o

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
yes sir, no ice on the river, play ball. I froze my a** off, but it was worth it, I think I finally solved the mystery of the disappearing rainbows too.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing what things can swallow, I read an article a few years ago in our local paper, where a cottonmouth swallowed another snake that was the same length as it was.
Another time I found a small snake that had tried to swallow a small catfish, & the spines were stuck in it's jaws.

Fossis.............

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Very nice fish their. I would be guessing the weight at about 7lbs?? Do you catch many rainbow in your area? Thanks for posting a fine looking brown trout.

Sasnz

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Appreciate the comments sasnz, this brown was 24 inches and imo in the 5 pound range, didn't have my scales on me. The rainbows here are smaller but plentiful. How's the fishing in NZ ?, catching any?

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hi Thirty7

Yea i have had a bumber year fishing, mainly salt to be honest but have had a fantastic time, my avatar was in november 2 months ago. the snapper was 18Lb and the kingy although only a rat was about 22lb. gotta love the kingfish to eat, splendid if you bleed them straight away.

I have a mate in the south that reckons he knows where to get some close to 20Lb browns, I believe him as where he said he goes i am sure he would be the only one who goes their as it is unbelievably remote and he would be the only one mad enough to drag up a rod and reel. What sort of sizes do you get over there??

sasnz

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you can find some odd stuff in fish once in a while. A couple years ago a friend of mine caught a large brown and it had a bat in it. (the flying type bat, not a baseball bat :D )

S

seger98

packerbacker said:
Yep, you can find some odd stuff in fish once in a while. A couple years ago a friend of mine caught a large brown and it had a bat in it. (the flying type bat, not a baseball bat :D )

:icon_scratch: How in the world does that happen?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We figured the bat was probably skimming across the top of the water, eating bugs, and the trout came up and got him. One day I was watching some baby ducks swimming behind their mommy. I was thinking how cute they looked when, all of a sudden a fish, probably a bass, came up to the surface and swallowed one whole. Changed my whole conception of what would be good bait. ;D

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Most gamefish are opportunists...

and fish get big by eating everything they see!

After all, they really can't read the label, first!

Some of the things found in the belly of sharks are the most entertaining, I think...
From buckets to boots, GI helmets to license plates.

I really appreciate you'all posting the fishing pics.
I've really slacked off lately.
It is just wrong.

License is $38 bucks, now. Without xtra rod and enhancements.
Bad government!

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
packerbacker, I witnessed the exact same thing in a smaller lake, a mother mallard duck with 4 ducklings trailing, heard an enormous FWOMP, and it was 3 ducklings. This had to be a good sized largemouth. food chain in action, quite the spectacle.

K

Kentucky Kache

I caught a big catfish back in the summer which had a good sized bluegill in it's stomach. I think I've been cutting my bait fish a little too small.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Ohhhh man! I miss good trout & salmon fishin!! Hope you enjoy your dinner!

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
thanks for all the interesting comments folks. sasnz, I've heard stories and watched fishing programs on the legendary trout fishing in NZ. The browns and rainbows there are of epic proportions, even in the smaller rivers. Around here the brown trout get big in the lakes, up to 15lbs, and a 7 lber in the river is a trophy fish.

C

coloradocav

Nice brown! those are the kind I hunt for CANNIBALS. here are a couple of medium size flies I catch them with, you can't go wrong with a mouse pattern at night. thanks for posting the picture. LOL

Attachments

• streamers.jpg
    streamers.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 424
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
those big mouse patterns would work around here I bet, never fished them myself, but I can only imagine stripping one of those across the top. those browns are territorial like sharks!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
<--- Runs for cover! I'm not quite sure how I feel about this thread........

Just kiddin' I fly fish too! Nice brownie.

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Great shot and a beauty of a Brown! I once caught a 6lb. largemouth out of a brackish creek that had at least 10 inches of eel still in his mouth (from his throat to just stickin' out of his jaws). I've also caught plenty of "monsters" offshore while reeling in pretty large tuna. Gotta' love fishin'... ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread