Five Old Buttons, Part of a Metal Ruler, Box Turtles

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a nice mix of old buttons today. That puts me in the right area. One is a sporting button with hound head. The small square was silver plated. Interesting to see the end two inches of an old ruler in the context of the buttons. I'm happy to see the painted box turtles. Every time I'm out in the woods I see a couple or more. Today I saw a cicada killer wasp nest. They are big, orange, and impressive wasps. I always find them at the base of old oak trees with ground entry between big roots. Probably more than a dozen quickly launched to let me know not to mess with them. They seemed to be bothered by my detector's low frequencies. One time I was sitting in the woods eating lunch on a log when one picked off a cicada. I watched the wasp immobilize it and fly away.

Attachments

• tres460.jpg
    tres460.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 68
  • tres461.jpg
    tres461.jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 37
  • tres462.jpg
    tres462.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 36
  • tres463.jpg
    tres463.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 44
  • tres464.jpg
    tres464.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
Upvote 20

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Great buttons. I haven’t seen a turtle like that in about 30 years. Yesterday I think my detector (no headphones) scared out a praying mantis. It was all of 4” long, close to 5”. Thanks for posting

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice set of flat buttons. Found my first one about a month ago. Looks like it's going to be a good hunting spot.

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoyed the nature observations and learned something new. I had not heard of cicada killer wasps before. They must be formidable! We don't have those turtles here. Nice to know that their population seems strong. Haven't seen a praying mantis for years, and never one as big as 4 or 5 inches. I'd like to.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a nice mix of old buttons today. That puts me in the right area. One is a sporting button with hound head. The small square was silver plated. Interesting to see the end two inches of an old ruler in the context of the buttons. I'm happy to see the painted box turtles. Every time I'm out in the woods I see a couple or more. Today I saw a cicada killer wasp nest. They are big, orange, and impressive wasps. I always find them at the base of old oak trees with ground entry between big roots. Probably more than a dozen quickly launched to let me know not to mess with them. They seemed to be bothered by my detector's low frequencies. One time I was sitting in the woods eating lunch on a log when one picked off a cicada. I watched the wasp immobilize it and fly away.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed the nature observations and learned something new. I had not heard of cicada killer wasps before. They must be formidable! We don't have those turtles here. Nice to know that their population seems strong. Haven't seen a praying mantis for years, and never one as big as 4 or 5 inches. I'd like to.
This is the cicada killer wasp in action. It must have picked it off in the tree above my head. The cicada is on its back.

Attachments

• 20210829_202548.jpg
    20210829_202548.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 11

TreaShore

May 4, 2023
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT (since 2012)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, but sorry to say I actually stopped in hoping for turtle pictures. You did not disappoint.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread