Flint Ridge Dovetail / Red on Glacier Blue

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have now seen two points very similar to this one that have been identified by their extremely knowledgeable owners as made from "Flint Ridge" : red and glacier blue. And unless someone has a better type, I'm saying this is a small Dovetail. Base looks ground - or at least thinned - to me.

Slightly asymmetrical and lacking fine flaking artistry; 1 7/8 x 1 1/8 , dinged up a bit; with an excess, perhaps, of patina and mineral deposit; this is still one of my favorite finds from an old timer's collection.

Is thinning of the base via flaking the same a 'ground base'? Are both interpreted, in general, as characteristic of Archaic points? Thanks!

5.jpg

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is thinning of the base via flaking the same a 'ground base'?

Nice point. To answer your first question, NO. Basal thinning by grinding (to create a ground base) is employing the use of an abrader to grind the sharp basal edges smooth from flaking to facilitate a secure, uncompromising haft. My understanding is this was done to prevent sharp edges from cutting into the hafting material (sinew, plant fiber, etc...).

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice point, great example of FR. I don't feel it's a Dovetail however, too small and notches to me are more of a side notch type point.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brewerton? I used to know point types, and yes it is Flint Ridge.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It doesn't appear to me to be a Thebes either. Shape and notches all wrong. Brewerton is a good call but they can be pretty crude. Some type of Woodland or Archaic side notch point. Really doesn't matter, that FR makes it special.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beauty regardless of type!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions