• c980_1_b.jpg
    c980_1_b.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 605
  • austiindamBarn.jpg
    austiindamBarn.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 551

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Election day, Sept. 30, 1911 is when the Bayless paper mill dam broke and sent water rushing towards the town of Austin. It was called 'The dam that could not break". 78 peple lost their lives

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
Election day, Sept. 30, 1911 is when the Bayless paper mill dam broke and sent water rushing towards the town of Austin. It was called 'The dam that could not break". 78 peple lost their lives

Yep, My understanding, Jewelry Stores, Banks, Safes, & Etc.

Were all Swept down towards Costello & took that town out also.

Potter Poker

Jan 29, 2007
Potter County, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You are all correct on that, occasionally stuff still shows up. According to the Historical Society records up here in Potter County, the Austin flood washed away eleven (some say twelve) safes of various sizes. There is no confirmation that any of those safes have ever been found. In regards to the jewelry, indeed there was a very large (for those days) jewelry store in that town. I have lived here most of my life and know more than a few people who live in Austin (their families have lived there a long time) but I have never heard of anyone finding more than occasional item here or there. Incidentally, below Austin all the way to the next town of Costello, there is a lot of field and brush land that is just lying there waiting for someone (like me) to start metal detecting. I only wish I had jumped on this hobby years ago. It seems crazy, but no one around here seems to be interested in MD'ing what with all the "buried and lost treasures" scattered around Potter County...hope this helps...potter poker ...PS...I have access to much detailed history of Austin before, during, and after the flood, more than this space allows, if you are really interested, contact me at [email protected].

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread