Floresville, tx petrified palmwood 9-10-09

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
While at work I found some pieces that I think were kinda cool. I found a nice uniface hide scraper made out of palmwood, and a scraper / blade, both made out of petrified palmwood. Both were simply made, but I was told by one home owner down away from the dried up creek that i was at that this is not an unusual find for the area. From what I have seen here there are a lot of areas of large concentrations of petrified wood, and he has found points made oput of the same material. I have found the usual pieces here made out of chert, but this is somehting I have not come across here in TX. I am only 2hr away from Austin to the SE around Floresville, tx. I found a really cool uniface scraper made out of quartzite here as well, I will post later... I am huntin in an area where there once was a river, but it is now a remnant of a meandering river, just the edge of a river terrace. I just want a few bits of info on these if i can get some, or similar tool pics made out of the same material. I got rained out, so I am back at home waiting to go back to this oil and gas job. Any info appreciated... Thanks to all, and good luck huntin...

Attachments

• DSC00727.JPG
    DSC00727.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC00719.JPG
    DSC00719.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC00727.JPG
    DSC00727.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC00731.JPG
    DSC00731.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC00726.JPG
    DSC00726.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC00727.JPG
    DSC00727.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC00730.JPG
    DSC00730.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC00729.JPG
    DSC00729.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC00728.JPG
    DSC00728.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Yep, when I go back to the job that is currently delayed b/c of the rain conditions, I am hoping to find a point made out of the material. That would be awesome indeed. Well, at least so far I have accumulated a few tools made out of some different material that I am not used to seeing. Actually, can't wait to get back to work for once, hahahaha.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool stuff. Is it as green as it looks? You better get back to work Abarnard :icon_sunny:

stay cool
TnMtns

OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Sorry about the poor pics TN, but the larger piece is yellow in color, and the square scraper/blade is grey in color not green. I need a new camera bad... Well, there are some areas I have not had a chance to comb over near the San Antonio River on some ranch land. I think that is where I will find some good quality artifacts I think. I found these two pieces near an old shallow dried up creek. There are farm areas along the river where farmers have plowed, so i think I should be able to come out with something... Good luck on your next hunt. Oh, it has cooled down now, no more 100 degree hot spells.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
abarnard said:
Sorry about the poor pics TN, but the larger piece is yellow in color, and the square scraper/blade is grey in color not green. I need a new camera bad... Well, there are some areas I have not had a chance to comb over near the San Antonio River on some ranch land. I think that is where I will find some good quality artifacts I think. I found these two pieces near an old shallow dried up creek. There are farm areas along the river where farmers have plowed, so i think I should be able to come out with something... Good luck on your next hunt. Oh, it has cooled down now, no more 100 degree hot spells.

I may not live in Texas anymore but for some reason still pay attention to the weather. I saw the rain you guys had. Do you ever deer hunt any of the ranches that have the wells?
Glad things have cooled down for you guys and you are finding some really nice items.Stay safe
TnMtns

OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Thanks TN. Nope, haven't got that close to the folks that own the land that I work on, but it drives me crazy seeing all the huge bucks and exotic game that's at some of these ranches. I go to one rock quarry in Buda, TX that I work at often, and it is loaded with black bucks and axis bucks, big ones. KBDJ employees get to hunt there next to Ruby Ranch, and I am envious... Makes me want to quit my job and work for my client just so I can shoot some bucks, hahaha. Keep it real TN, can't wait for your next post..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread