Florida again tops U.S. with 28 shark bites in 2014...

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love a thread that "moves" regardless...
The purpose of a thread is to engage and "talk"... the direction of is of NO importance to me...
I like the fact people respond and talk in any direction... like the wind, you cannot control direction.

Oh by the way...
The greatest of artists... defied controlled expectations.
This is what makes things lead to "greatness".
Like Jimi Hendrix at The Monterey Pop Festival...
People thought... That's not how you play the guitar...

HEH.

I like the way you responded here and look at this " Freedom of thought" . Free thinking is definitely the seed to "creativity and "greatness".
Im not sure if this applies under the "General Disussion" but anyone commenting off topic may be subject to having their posts deleted. I'm also not sure if this applies to certain members, threads, forums or what but there is a guideline that you have to stay on topic. I won't tell if no one else does.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh.....Its uhhh....Its a "freind" of mine lol.

You cant say you haven't seen them walking around on the beaches
I have seen them but I try hard not to look...[emoji106]

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something to be said about the frozen north, we only have "that" problem a couple months out of the year!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wonder we had so many attacks...
We have an abundance of bait... heh
I just saw the news and it said we had 97.3 million tourists last year.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm pretty sure we have had no shark attacks here in Indiana

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to compete when you live 3 to 4 hundred miles from the ocean.
luvsdux

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
And as far as "close calls"... um yes... many times.
I have definitely had my share.

For real? Define "close call". I've seen more than a few sharks, but they always minded their own business.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For real? Define "close call". I've seen more than a few sharks, but they always minded their own business.

Dude lol...
um "close"... means when they "come in" on ya...
OR rub up against/brush ya...

Never happened in all the years in Keys...
Um not sure how the east coast is... but here on west coast... they are "curious".
I would say I have been "tested" at least 6+ times here.

One time in less than 4 foot of water...
Standing there... I saw it coming in at me...
just froze... it brushed me so hard against my leg it made my knee buckle and forced me down.
Beings I have spent a majority of my life in the water... maybe I have had more than most...

Last edited:

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy, maybe brave? But if I'm ever in 4' of water and see a fin headed my way, I'll immediately be in 0' of water! ;)
Peace ✌

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welp... someone finally caught a white on our coast... marina is ah "buzz"...
it was caught by beach shore fish guys... (so you water detector folks... heh)

One rolled up on me within 10 feet or less... must have been at least 12 footer.
Was on west face of Shell Key north end... in less than 15 feet of water...
I got out.
She was a beauty... just curious....
My GF freaked... she would not let me back in water... had to call it a day.
I told the head ranger of it... he was like "really a white"? there ?
I could tell he was in sorta skeptical mode.

Tagged and released... fed protected.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have , on many occasions swam in Fla. water's and have seen sharks...I'm more worried about getting bit by a rabid lawyer, there are way too many of them in the "Sunshine" state......Gary

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get use to them being around after a while......then one evening you catch yourself water hunting among schools of large mullet and the light starts flashing. :laughing7: Sharks are always there, we just need to be mindful of it all the time. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get use to them being around after a while......then one evening you catch yourself water hunting among schools of large mullet and the light starts flashing. :laughing7: Sharks are always there, we just need to be mindful of it all the time. :thumbsup:

When schools of bait fish are around... I actually feel "safer"... I figure... they have something besides me to eat,,, heh.
Dolphins have also scared the crap outta me... but when they are around... sharks are scared of em and stay/steer way clear of em.
Manatees have many times given me a startle ... but they are gentle giants and love seeing them as well.

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
most of the shark bites in Florida are from small newborn sharks they don't know any better and they're really pretty small Jaws is not back in Florida and if they were serious and all they would be in the headlines there just baby sharks trying to feed on something and they only bite and then they let go because we taste pretty bad to them you know I feel sorry for the poor little sharks they might get sick or something hahaha sincerely Harvest

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most of the shark bites in Florida are from small newborn sharks they don't know any better and they're really pretty small Jaws is not back in Florida and if they were serious and all they would be in the headlines there just baby sharks trying to feed on something and they only bite and then they let go because we taste pretty bad to them you know I feel sorry for the poor little sharks they might get sick or something hahaha sincerely Harvest

heh...
Usually people are attacked by those sharks which outmeasure men in size and in weight. Among them there are: grey bull shark, great white shark, bull (or cub, or Zambezi) shark, longimanus (longfinned oceanic shark), tiger (or leopard) shark. These sharks got a huge chop filled with rows of big and sharp teeth. Such teeth help them easily bite and grind bones and gristles and tear large pieces of flesh off the body.

Other shark species, reported to attack man, are small sharks such as thrasher and nurse sharks. They have rather small teeth that can cause only small wounds and sores. But these species are also considered to be potentially dangerous..

http://en.sharkiller.com/pages/main/sharks_danger/theme_1/index.shtml

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread