Florida beaches

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
99% of Florida beaches are open for detecting.....

Yes. And so too can the same be said for probably any state that fronts the ocean. I mean.... doh ... you can't hurt beach sand , haha.

Question for you treasure-hunter: Since you're from Florida , then you've no doubt seen this question about Florida beaches come up all the time on forums. Right? Again and again and again it seems. What is your analysis of why it seems that only Florida gets this repeated question, versus other states ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. And so too can the same be said for probably any state that fronts the ocean. I mean.... doh ... you can't hurt beach sand , haha.

Question for you treasure-hunter: Since you're from Florida , then you've no doubt seen this question about Florida beaches come up all the time on forums. Right? Again and again and again it seems. What is your analysis of why it seems that only Florida gets this repeated question, versus other states ?
See it all the time can't say why, maybe because of the Treasure Coast beaches and the restrictions that apply to that 20 miles +/- of beaches

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a likely reason. That, and all the court cases that involved the recovery of those off shore treasure sites through the years didn't help any either.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
See it all the time can't say why, maybe because of the Treasure Coast beaches and the restrictions that apply to that 20 miles +/- of beaches

yes. Precisely the psychology at play that I was thinking of. All it takes is for one scary story, or one "off-limits" spot to occur, and then people, for decades to follow, will perpetually ask "just to be safe". No matter how often a rumor is put to rest. No matter how limited or isolated that one occurrence or spot was. It just gets in people's subconscious memory .

It wouldn't be half-bad if those people falling prey to this psychology asked other md'rs (then locals like yourself would tell them there's no issues). However, others will satisfy their itch by going and asking bureaucrat's. And then the danger becomes is that it only takes one bored pencil-pusher archie to dream up something silly to apply to the question, or simply make a rule to address these repeated questions. So I'm sure glad it's Florida, and not CA, that gets the brunt of that ! :laughing7:

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the perspective of a newbie, If you do a google search for "metal detecting beaches in Florida" within the first five results are two articles with headlines that imply metal detecting is being banned on our beaches. The same search for Texas or California beaches turns up more explanations of metal detecting laws and tips for beach hunters. Overall more positive results.
The Florida search turns up the same helpful tips and explanations as well but the two negative articles raise questions that make newbies like me wonder: Obviously people are using metal detectors on the beaches but where can I go and where should I avoid?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the perspective of a newbie, If you do a google search for "metal detecting beaches in Florida" within the first five results are two articles with headlines that imply metal detecting is being banned on our beaches. The same search for Texas or California beaches turns up more explanations of metal detecting laws and tips for beach hunters. Overall more positive results.
The Florida search turns up the same helpful tips and explanations as well but the two negative articles raise questions that make newbies like me wonder: Obviously people are using metal detectors on the beaches but where can I go and where should I avoid?
Already posted answer. .

99% of Florida beaches are open for detecting. As long as your not hunting in the water on treasure coast beaches in the Sebastian Inlet, Vero Beach to Ft Pierce area your good, even there you can hunt toe of dunes to mean low tide line....

Just go hunting and enjoy..

TampaTroy

Feb 3, 2014
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATpro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wasnt asking. My intention was to say that is the question newbies are left with after a Google search. Since most people these days go straight to Google when looking for information it could be a possible explanation for why the question is asked so often.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, looked like you were still asking. Maybe if the question was in quotes.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasnt asking. My intention was to say that is the question newbies are left with after a Google search. Since most people these days go straight to Google when looking for information it could be a possible explanation for why the question is asked so often.
Hopefully, they will come here to Tnet to get the straight scoop instead of pestering government officials who have their own agenda.

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is a new device out. It looks like a walking stick,but it sends info to your cell phone. You can see whats under the ground up to 6 feet.
Its not a metal detector so you wouldnt have to worry about the law. Its on youtube.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread