Florida hurricane

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Anybody here getting ready to hit the treasure beaches?? I was going to take a ride down for this one, but it is just too expensive to go in case it ends up in the wrong area. My sister lives in Port St. Lucie, so I have a place to stay. I will probably kick my butt if it goes in her area. I guess I just got to move down there. Please keep us posted as to finds if anyone here is detecting down there. And good luck.

Upvote 0
D

Dragon

I went the morning they opened the barrier islands at daybreak. I searched Corrigans (between Turtle Trail and Seagrape) and Rio Mar for about a 1 mile stretch. Spent all day after driving 2 hours north and NOTHING! except 73 cents and a house key. Everyone I spoke to said nothing also. The beach is GONE! Now a 10 to 15 foot cliff where the sand was. Lot's of trash. I saw about 20 people from horizon to horizon at about 1 PM at Corrigan's. When I arrived at daybreak, there were 3 of us including me. The treasure is back out to sea folks...

B

bubbaFL

Today, 9/16 worked Sebastian Inlet beaches. Nothing. Saw 3 or 4 guys working also with nothing! I am looking at NOAA current flows during Frances to see if the coins were sent up or down the coast...

D

Dragon

Well, I also thought the same before going, but I don't know if it so much the current or the way the winds blew the surf along the shore in regards to the storm surge. If my calculations and thoughts are on the same page, everything moved drastically North. Depending on the west winds and wave action as the storm passed, everything that did get sent north would now be at the waterline...or below...All I know is that there are litterally millions of tons of sand, probably full of coins, somewhere else other than directly onshore of the wrecks.

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Pulsepower Aquastar ll, Minelab CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Nautilus DMC2Ba. Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
I guess I made the right move by not going all the way there from Ct.. Sorry to hear that it was a washout. I figured there would probably be a cut or 2 like in 1984 where thousands of coins and artifacts were found. Maybe this next storm will bring it in. I always thought that the coins were still in the sand, but just deeper and waiting for the water to take the upper layers off or churn the sand up to where they get scattered in the mix. Besides that, I figured some stuff was still in the dunes and being they got eaten up some, it seems the few coins found might have been from this action. Anyone got any pictures of the beaches as they are now?

D

Dragon

I had my camera but didn't take any pics. It was sickening to see all of the houses along the shore destroyed, especially since I went thru Hurricane Andrew. Where the sea oats and sea grape plants "were" is now a cliff down to what was the beach and it's anywhere from a 6 to 15 foot drop. All of the stairs and piers are either gone, or the bottom of the pilings are now resting on top of the sand.

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sounds worst than I pictured it. Do you know how the Mclarty Museum made out? I know they had the rocks out front to stop wave action. That area is where the Spanish camped after the huricane that wrecked them. Always figured the dunes there would have something, but of course it is off limits. I was just down the area in April, and it is still vivid in my mind. Hard to imagine the Wabasso area torn up too. Did they lose some of those expensive beach houses or just the smaller ones like the type of Kip Wagners old house? (Cabin wreck area)

D

Dragon

I think the museum survived. Wabasso was torn up. Lot's of trash on the beach, bolts, nuts, nails, dead animals, fish, birds, you name it. Everything but gold or silver. I found a house key and 73 cents for an all day 4 hour round trip, and I was one of the first on the beach. I started way north of Corrigan's between there and Wabasso and went south to about a mile past Rio Mar...then worked my way back north until I got kicked out after dark due to the curfew. :-[

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I was planning on staying out there over nite, but I guess it wouldn't have worked out too good. Hard to imagine junky beaches with dead things on them. Probably started to smell bad if you got down wind. Thanks for the info. Hope someone has a picture or 2 to put on, but I doubt it. Better luck next hunt.

D

Dragon

Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I can send you a Powerpoint presentation with lot's of pictures of the beach east of Orlando that looks the same. My sister sent it to me. If you don't like attachments maybe someone can tell me how to extract the pics from PowerPoint and post them here...

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Dragon,
Sorry to hear you didn't find anything. I was there on Thursday and Friday last week (9th and 10th) and saw a few good finds. Almost everything I saw was pulled from about 15 to 20 feet from the bottom of the dunes. There was alot of sand deposited between there and the surf line. My theory is that alot of the coins are probably under that big mound of sand washed out to where the waves were breaking. The mound of sand is very soft and the coins would sink quickly to the bottom with all the wave action. Hope fully there will be alot of finds in this area over next few months when the sand gets redistributed.

I worked every area I could get to for two days. Corrigans, Anchor, Rio Mar, Chucks Steak House: and I didn't find any thing. I did see about 5 eight reales and 6 or 7 smaller. One guy found two 8's right in my path in front of me.

Good Luck on your next trip,

Robert in SC

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Well it looks as though the beaches at the treasure areas are getting it again. Hey Robert, you heading down again?? I sure wish I was close enough to give it a shot. Just the right movement of sand can make a big difference. I got stuck here again because i listened to the weather channel and they had it going north more than west on Monday, by the time they changed it, it was to late for me to go. Good luck to anyone hitting the area. Please keep us posted, after a few days anyway. :)

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I dont know if the wife is gonna let me head down again. I didn't produce any treasure. I think she was wandering if I didn't have a girle friend! With a little charm maybe I can convince her! This time I'll take my son along for an alibi. Wish me Lot Of Luck!

Robert in SC

D

Dragon

Before heading out, make sure the island is not off limits. It would be a needless trip. They WILL arrest people who don't live there. I plan on going AGAIN.? :'(

OK as an update, I just watched the gov't press release. The Indian River Gov't will have the barrier islands closed for a longer period than when Frances hit. They say things are worse, so don't anticipate being let on the barrier islands unless you live there or go by boat. >:(

T

Timmy

I was doing some searching to locate info on island closings.Found nothing. Dragon: can you disclose where you heard about them closing the area?
I'll be down there October 22,23,24.

RustyNail

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
I'm interested in info on the state of the barrier islands, too. I've got airlines tickets for a trip there to detect on Oct. 21-24 but I'm seriously considering cancelling since I suspect that:

1) Access will be severely limited by damaged roads, bridges, etc.
2) I'll be digging up endless bolts and nails brought in by the storm.
3) It seems a little weird to be vacationing in a place that is struggling to get back on its feet after a disaster of this magnitude.

On the other hand... if folks think that access will be OK and that this is actually a great time to detect on those beaches, I'd really like to know.

Thoughts?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
The beaches are much worse this time. I have been looking at picts and the devastation is horrible. By the time you get there the beaches will be back open, but the finds will be diminishing. Wabasso is just devastated. I have heard of people already finding a good bit of reales at Chucks Steak House. This is definately the best time to hunt because of the cut into the dunes. But you have to get there now.

I was going to head down this weekend. Hopefully some good finds still left. There were several gold coins found after Frances. Who knows, maybe alot more this time.

Good Luck

Robert in SC

T

Timmy

RustyNail,
I too have my airline tickets. I'm going regardless. Drop me a post if you go.

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There are people who live out on the island and detect first chance they get.

OP
OP
JohninCT

JohninCT

Apr 23, 2003
Wallingford, Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This is Wabasso where the restrooms, lifeguard stand, boardwalk, and the picnic area was. Looking across parking lot from down near the deli. Maybe this time I can post it bigger. New to posting pictures on here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread