Florida welcomes me with an 8 real! More silver still!!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I had trip planned for Florida. The wife threatened me something fierce if I brought my detector with me...

Well a week before we left my CTX stopped working and I HAD to bring it to Kellyco for servicing. Soooo while my detector is in Florida I may as well hunt. So I went to the old maps and photographs of New Symrna and found a spot.

At first I was skunked, my one researched spot had failed...then I looked into another area separated by a barber wire fence. Asked the land owner who's land I was detecting and she owned that one too! So off I went and I quickly found cut nails and slate shingle holders. Then a 1910 and 1917 wheat...not bad...

Then I hit a drunks secret spot full of 24oz cans. Some buried, some not... I get a slamming hit, sounded like it was on the surface but the machine said it was 6". Another can?

I dig in...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436314420.493874.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436314462.062774.jpg

Holy crap a reeded edge!!

Low and behold out pops a huge coin, bigger than any one before...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436314573.530078.jpg

I didn't much want to hunt after that but kept going. I got nothing for a while, then a barber and some other foreign coin from the 1950's.

All I can say is Wow, just Wow! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436314696.117612.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436314544.024235.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436314544.024235.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 297
  • ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436314696.117612.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436314696.117612.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 377
Upvote 31

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, first off, great diggings for a florida getaway... :thumbsup:

Secondly, what are those tiny octagons with the bent shanks? Ive found about half a dozen of those at a church, im thinking that they have something to do with siding or roofing? I like them cuz they make me think there is an earring in the hole!! :tongue3:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Secondly, what are those tiny octagons with the bent shanks? Ive found about half a dozen of those at a church, im thinking that they have something to do with siding or roofing? I like them cuz they make me think there is an earring in the hole!! :tongue3:

old roofing nails, i think for slate shingles, and YES THEY SUCK!!! ring in like indian heads!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks for the comment. I was told they're used to hold slate shingles on. I've found them at other sites as well and it seems they vary a bit in age.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lots of work went into such a simple thing... They're cool

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking silver and the Spanish moss hairdo is very fitting, congrats on the killer find and the success on the research. 2/8 is still a 25% average and I'd be happy with that anytime if the results were even close to yours.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a coin, it reeks of awesomeness:notworthy: Did you get that hair idea from a diggers episode?:laughing7::skullflag:

That was on diggers?! No way!!! How unoriginal if it's on network tv:) lol

Steve

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 8 there Captain Scrappy! Arrrrgggg! You do know that pic will now remain in the T Net files for all eternity? Lol!
You and the CTX do a little "conspiring"?
Your beer drinking can thrower probably protected your 8 real from others finding it.

Well done and congrats! Awesome way to start a vaca!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great looking silver and the Spanish moss hairdo is very fitting, congrats on the killer find and the success on the research. 2/8 is still a 25% average and I'd be happy with that anytime if the results were even close to yours.

Thanks Pepp. Those numbers probably aren't completely accurate . My vetting process might have started at 64 from maps, then 32, 16, then 8 actually looked good enough to visit. I winged this one completely with a couple photographs and a postcard, figured the proximity onto an old map, then overlayed. I was off by 100yds but luckily the owner owned the adjacent property.

lowcountry

Jan 30, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man!!!! I wish I hade gotten your message earlier before I took off for Florida!! I went to Melbourne and got about a dollar in clad :( We will hunt together someday my friend!! :)

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Man!!!! I wish I hade gotten your message earlier before I took off for Florida!! I went to Melbourne and got about a dollar in clad :( We will hunt together someday my friend!! :)

Lol. I was planning on hunting Augustine but George told me over the phone that the place is super protected. Then I saw your post and thought is give you a shout. I'm sorry we didn't connect, judging from your posts you're a hell of a detectorist.

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread