Florida wild boar

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Screenshot_20231219_045152_Photos.jpg

Driving home down a rural highway I spotted this massive boar that had been hit by a car. These boars are considered invasive and there are maybe millions in the state. Notice the large upper & lower tusks, very dangerous if you get attacked.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IL doesnā€™t have a breeding population yet. Weā€™re told if we see any weā€™re not supposed to shoot them but report them instead. The general consensus with hunters around here is: Shoot, shovel, and shut up. I heard of one near here a few yrs ago. Probably an escaped domestic hog. It didnā€™t last a week and probably ended up in someoneā€™s freezer.

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
IL doesnā€™t have a breeding population yet. Weā€™re told if we see any weā€™re not supposed to shoot them but report them instead. The general consensus with hunters around here is: Shoot, shovel, and shut up. I heard of one near here a few yrs ago. Probably an escaped domestic hog. It didnā€™t last a week and probably ended up in someoneā€™s freezer.
Their on the way. We have open season on them down here. Day, night, 1 or 100... doesn't matter. Fun to hunt but very destructive

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2121097
Driving home down a rural highway I spotted this massive boar that had been hit by a car. These boars are considered invasive and there are maybe millions in the state. Notice the large upper & lower tusks, very dangerous if you get attacked.
Holy bacon that is bad boy

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had several encounters with hogs exploring Fl. They are everywhere. One was a close call on Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge that could have gone very bad. After that experience we carry bear spray and pack.
Itā€™s amazing how destructive they are.
Ran into a Hunter near Lake George in Ocala NF and warned us a pack was down about a mile on the trail we were on. He said he shot one with a 45-70 and it just stood there and didnā€™t even flinch. 2nd shot to the head to take it down. These things are huge, well over a hundred #.
Lots in the Smoky Mtn. National Park also.
4728495D-ACF5-4F59-9F44-CAF0326D1651.jpeg
A02639C8-F7F9-42E1-8391-F32C1440D078.jpeg
DE481905-036C-4A83-A22C-7FACE4B805D1.jpeg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rumors about Groendyke stocking wild Russian boars on the north side of the South Canadian River on their big ranch in the 60's in Oklahoma, for corporate bigshots to come and hunt, and stories how they would get loose and overrun the area. Don't know about that story, but they did start overrunning that part of SWOK. My son and them were allowed access to all the places along the river and they would take their AK's out and just shoot and shoot them, let them lay. I expressed some concern to those boys as that was not our way to hunt. But my son told me they were correcting a problem we didn't create, and that was the choice they had. People I knew that butchered them out trapped them, penned them, and fed them out for a while before butchering.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rumors about Groendyke stocking wild Russian boars on the north side of the South Canadian River on their big ranch in the 60's in Oklahoma, for corporate bigshots to come and hunt, and stories how they would get loose and overrun the area. Don't know about that story, but they did start overrunning that part of SWOK. My son and them were allowed access to all the places along the river and they would take their AK's out and just shoot and shoot them, let them lay. I expressed some concern to those boys as that was not our way to hunt. But my son told me they were correcting a problem we didn't create, and that was the choice they had. People I knew that butchered them out trapped them, penned them, and fed them out for a while before butchering.
They do the same here in Florida. Ranchers & the giant farms will let people shoot all they want. It doesn't seem to affect the population much. Coyotes, Bobcats, & Panthers will prey on the little piglets if they get a chance but the wild pigs roam in large packs & are smart, mean, & not afraid of much.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are also hard to kill too, I use to hunt them with a 12 ga shotgun firing slugs and they sometimes would still run over hundred yards after a chest shot

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I killed one with a S&W Model 19 .357 back in the 70s. We were young and dumb pistoleros that didnā€™t realize how undergunned we were. I killed this one with one shot to his ear at about 10 yds. It was quite a thrill. My partner killed his with a 44 mag. We had them processed and ate them.
IMG_2880.jpeg

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I killed one with a S&W Model 19 .357 back in the 70s. We were young and dumb pistoleros that didnā€™t realize how undergunned we were. I killed this one with one shot to his ear at about 10 yds. It was quite a thrill. My partner killed his with a 44 mag. We had them processed and ate them. View attachment 2121575
No way I'd get that close to one of those things. That was a good shot.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way I'd get that close to one of those things. That was a good shot.
They fight back, and they are fast and vicious. When we are young we think we are invincible. I call them my young and stupid years.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just shooting them and letting them lay is a complete waste of of a life, and protean, and in Alaska that's among the worst crimes a hunter can commit.

Next time, have them plan ahead and bring a pick-up along to haul them off to a local food bank. Let the food bank know ahead of time, and they can get them butchered and passed out to people who could use the meat.

Just leaving them in the field feeds the birds, coyotes and (now) wolves.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just shooting them and letting them lay is a complete waste of of a life, and protean, and in Alaska that's among the worst crimes a hunter can commit.

Next time, have them plan ahead and bring a pick-up along to haul them off to a local food bank. Let the food bank know ahead of time, and they can get them butchered and passed out to people who could use the meat.

Just leaving them in the field feeds the birds, coyotes and (now) wolves.
But, gifting a butt of a porker to the local food bank would just be the makings of a whole lot of problems.

Muslims don't eat pork.

The line ups at the city run FBs have a high representation of immigrants from that culture.
Wild game isn't good enough for the hungry folks.
Silly as it sounds they'd (food banks) rather have a box of Kraft Dinner. šŸ˜’

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread