OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just shooting them and letting them lay is a complete waste of of a life, and protean, and in Alaska that's among the worst crimes a hunter can commit.

Next time, have them plan ahead and bring a pick-up along to haul them off to a local food bank. Let the food bank know ahead of time, and they can get them butchered and passed out to people who could use the meat.

Just leaving them in the field feeds the birds, coyotes and (now) wolves.
Most hunters shoot the boars. They are unfit to eat, strong tough tainted meat. People here trap or catch the shoats and pen them up, feed them corn for a month or two. Then they butcher them, they will be are around 30 lbs. by then and sweet.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
But, gifting a butt of a porker to the local food bank would just be the makings of a whole lot of problems.

Muslims don't eat pork.

I don't necessarily disagree, but just wasting lives and food just don't seem right. Aside from the Muslims, there's a whole lot of Catholics, Baptists, Lutheran's etc. that love bacon.
eating-02.gif

Here's a few recipes from a site I frequent...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't necessarily disagree, but just wasting lives and food just don't seem right. Aside from the Muslims, there's a whole lot of Catholics, Baptists, Lutheran's etc. that love bacon. View attachment 2122893

Here's a few recipes from a site I frequent...

79070650799d570c.jpeg

Oh I hear ya on food waste.
The food bank's noses are too high to accept game.
"Not inspected meat"
Give me a wild something and I've probably had it at one time or other.

"Hey Pepper if you cull a groundhog we'll take it"
The wild hogs aren't a problem yet in my area, but they'll probably be in a few years.
I'll always have bacon then.:headbang:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I killed one with a S&W Model 19 .357 back in the 70s. We were young and dumb pistoleros that didn’t realize how undergunned we were. I killed this one with one shot to his ear at about 10 yds. It was quite a thrill. My partner killed his with a 44 mag. We had them processed and ate them. View attachment 2121575
Can you remember the weight ?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
We have had several encounters with hogs exploring Fl. They are everywhere. One was a close call on Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge that could have gone very bad. After that experience we carry bear spray and pack.
It’s amazing how destructive they are.
Ran into a Hunter near Lake George in Ocala NF and warned us a pack was down about a mile on the trail we were on. He said he shot one with a 45-70 and it just stood there and didn’t even flinch. 2nd shot to the head to take it down. These things are huge, well over a hundred #.
Lots in the Smoky Mtn. National Park also. View attachment 2121257 View attachment 2121259 View attachment 2121258
I lived on Cosby,the Great Smoky Mountains were my front yard,them hogs were everywhere.the Park Rangers told me drop everyone you see.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problems for the Florida Panther are mostly habitat loss & car strikes. Plenty of food for them. They even eat coyotes.
Speaking of coyotes, big problem! Pets missing all over the area. Warning on the local news again last night.

OP
OP
newnan man

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Speaking of coyotes, big problem! Pets missing all over the area. Warning on the local news again last night.
We had that a couple of years ago. Also we're on an island so the coyotes at some point had to cross a very long, high bridge. Cats missing and some small dogs attacked & killed. I saw one cross the road in front of me early one morning in the dark. Seems to have run it's couse, maybe they ate the easy prey & moved on.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most hunters shoot the boars. They are unfit to eat, strong tough tainted meat. People here trap or catch the shoats and pen them up, feed them corn for a month or two. Then they butcher them, they will be are around 30 lbs. by then and sweet.
Interesting.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live there are missing kitty posters tacked on the telephone poles all the time. Someone just posted a few recently of this yellow tabby cat that didn't come home. I doubt they'll ever see that cat again. I heard the coyotes howling in celebration just last night as I was out back listening to the fireworks going off for the new year. Here's a few shots of my local coyotes.

Attachments

• bike ride 072217 2.jpg
    bike ride 072217 2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • coyote 053117 1.jpg
    coyote 053117 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • field coyote.jpg
    field coyote.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • bike ride 060516 3.jpg
    bike ride 060516 3.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures they sure look like tuff critters

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I live there are missing kitty posters tacked on the telephone poles all the time. Someone just posted a few recently of this yellow tabby cat that didn't come home. I doubt they'll ever see that cat again. I heard the coyotes howling in celebration just last night as I was out back listening to the fireworks going off for the new year. Here's a few shots of my local coyotes.
nice pictures ….to see them out in the open fields is amazing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread