Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
calling for mandatory testing of food stamp recipients is a great idea...

perhaps drug testing republicans is the first step.

Trey Radel, Busted On Cocaine Charge, Voted For Drug Testing Food Stamp Recipients

WASHINGTON -- In September, Rep. Trey Radel voted for Republican legislation that would allow states to make food stamp recipients pee in cups to prove they're not on drugs. In October, police busted the Florida Republican on a charge of cocaine possession.

“It’s really interesting it came on the heels of Republicans voting on everyone who had access to food stamps get drug tested," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told BuzzFeed Tuesday. "It’s like, what?”

The House over the summer approved an amendment by Rep. Richard Hudson (R-N.C.) that would let states drug test people on food stamps. The amendment passed by voice vote, meaning members' individual yeas and nays were not recorded. Radel later voted in favor of a broader food stamps bill that included Hudson's measure.

In support of his drug testing legislation, Hudson cited the many state legislatures around the country that had considered similar requirements for other means-tested programs in recent years.

"This is a clear and obvious problem in our communities as nearly 30 states have introduced legislation to drug test for welfare programs," Hudson said. "We have a moral obligation to equip the states with the tools they need to discourage the use of illegal drugs."

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this earlier this morning and just shook my head! I am sure there will be all sorts of juicy rationalizations and denials of reality to follow...

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Almost as good as this one.

Democrats ask voters to back candidate facing drug charges

By John Henderson

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The chairman of the Nash County Democratic Party is urging people to vote for a candidate for the N.C. Senate 11 seat who was recently arrested on charges of trafficking heroin.

Chairman Marvin Arrington said if Clarence Bender is convicted of the felony charges, the local Democratic Party would recommend a solid replacement to fill the seat.

“That is our basic strategy. We have no control over what has happened,” he said “The only control we really have is asking voters to go straight party ticket. We want the seat.”

He said he hasn’t spoken at any time to Bender and the party did not recruit him to run for the seat.

“He’s been absent from the campaign trail and our events,” Arrington said. “He decided to run for the Senate seat on his own.”

Under state law, if a candidate is convicted of a felony while in office, they must vacate the seat because they are no longer considered a citizen, N.C. Deputy Election Director Johnnie McLean said. The governor then chooses the replacement candidate after listening to a recommendation from the local party.

On Oct. 19, Nash County deputies arrested Bender, a Castalia town commissioner, during a traffic stop. Bender was charged with three counts of trafficking opium or heroin and maintaining a place for keeping and storage of a controlled substance.

Bender still is on the ballot for the Nov. 6 election, challenging Republican incumbent Buck Newton for the 11th District seat, which represents Nash, Wilson and Johnston counties.

Ironically, a backlash from false allegations of drug trafficking leveled against Newton helped him win the seat in 2010.

At the time, the Wilson attorney and Republican political newcomer defeated political veteran N.C. Sen. A.B. Swindell, D-Nash, in the midterm election.

The turning point in the election may have come when mailers swarmed District 11 stating that Newton was arrested for selling drugs, Newton said after the election. The N.C. Democratic Party sent out a mailer against Newton that inferred he was arrested on eight felony drug offenses, including selling cocaine 20 years ago in Watauga County.

Newton presented court documents to show the charges were dismissed in 1991 and were a case of mistaken identity. Newton sued the N.C. Democratic Party and Swindell over the mailers.

On Wednesday, Newton said he was sorry to hear the news of Bender’s arrest.

“I think it’s important that we remember that people are presumed innocent until proven guilty, but the news is very disturbing,” he said.

Bender could not be reached for comment. The phone number he gave to the Nash County Board of Elections office was answered Wednesday by a woman who said that it was no longer Bender’s number.

Newton said Wednesday that the N.C. General Assembly accomplished a lot during his first term.

“We bridged a 2.5 billion shortfall. We had one of largest tax cuts in North Carolina history,” he said. “We started major regulatory reform. We passed that in a bi-partisan matter. We totally funded the state retirement health plan. We put money in a rainy day fund and began education reform.”

He said a lot of important issues need to be addressed in the next legislative session, and he is hoping that the governor leading the effort will be Republican Pat McCrory. He said Gov. Bev Perdue in the last two years had done everything she could to stifle the General Assembly from moving ahead with important reforms.

“I think it will be a tremendous help to have a partner in the Governor’s Mansion who is looking to solve problems instead of create problems,” he said.

He said the General Assembly in the next session is going to have to work hard to address critical issues.

“We need to continue education reform, solve the Interstate 95 tolling issue,” he said. “Tax reform is going to be a big item on the agenda. And personally, I’m very interested in and will continue to work to develop energy resources here in North Carolina onshore and offshore to go with our natural gas deposits.”

OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lol...now the insulters come on strong with diversion tactics...blame the democrats for republican drug use...

yea....damn liberals pushin drugs on capitial hill...how can any innocent teabagger cope?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually pip,just showing you that all politicians are pieces of garbage.Birds of a feather.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Pippin. Do you agree that WE SHOULD be testing for drugs before we give out all the handouts? I already know you hate republicans by reading other posts so I was just curious if you were being real or just bsing in order to start a hate thread.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Politicians are human and prone to human weaknesses.

On the face of it, the legislation that throws drug users off welfare and food stamp programs seems like an easy one to back. But for those who understand the tale of addiction, that it is, in fact, a disease, not so much. Does the drug use cause the person to fall into welfare? Again, those in the know will tell you definitively yes. Especially for those caught in a cycle of addiction.

More so these laws deprive children of drug addicts the help they need. They are innocent victims. And, if anyone thinks child protective services is good enough to get to all these children and put them in safe housing - there's that beach front property in Arizona you need to check out! Most of these kids remain with the addicted parents. As the parents suffer so do they.

Most states are still in the dark ages with regard to rehabilitative medical help for addicts. The answer in most states is prison. So the addict falls into welfare due to their disease, doesn't have the financial ability to support themselves or their family. Nor, the financial ability to fight their disease, and the states instead of rendering more aid, aid that could solve the problem, keep pulling more aid away. And we wonder why we have a problem?

What's that saying about the definition of insanity? Keep doing the same thing but expecting a different result.

As for this idiot - holier than thou!!!!

Last edited:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your government so screwed up why would we not think they are all on drugs. So whats your point on this thread PIP? Most of us learned that in 6th grade :laughing7:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I think this drug testing is just another cost to the taxpayers. It costs money to test them, then the ones that fail usually get put on "programs" while still getting the welfare. Then, if they continue to fail, what happens? Most usually have a litter of daddy babies that the taxpayer has to continue caring for. You can't punish the kids with no food, housing, clothing or medical. That's how most qualify for welfare in the first place. Kids are their ace-in-the-hole so to speak. We are held ransom to our own caring.
If that republican was on food stamps that would change things a little. A politician on drugs is nothing new. If he chooses to buy drugs with his "earned" paycheck instead of bait to go fishing, that's his business. Just don't lie about your situation to get me to buy your drugs.

Last edited:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Personally I think this drug testing is just another cost to the taxpayers. It costs money to test them, then the ones that fail usually get put on "programs" while still getting the welfare. Then, if they continue to fail, what happens? Most usually have a litter of daddy babies that the taxpayer has to continue caring for. You can't punish the kids with no food, housing, clothing or medical. That's how most qualify for welfare in the first place. Kids are their ace-in-the-hole so to speak. We are held ransom to our own caring.
If that republican was on food stamps that would change things a little. A politician on drugs is nothing new. If he chooses to buy drugs with his "earned" paycheck instead of bait to go fishing, that's his business. Just don't lie about your situation to get me to buy your drugs.

caring for the children of welfare cheats is a small price to pay to make sure every child gets coverage and aid. 100% of these children are innocent.

As for your daddy babies comment, uninformed and actually very ignorant of the realities of life in the ghetto.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NF, I agree about taking care of the children 100%. Thing is, how to go about it without rewarding the parent/s at the same time? They don't have orphanages anymore and putting them in group homes costs a fortune and is not fair to the kids.
terms like "daddy baby", "baby daddy", "baby momma" etc. are relatively new terms used to try to legitimize the illegitimate. The act like "baby daddy" is a title like uncle, aunt, mother etc. btw, whites also use the terms.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NF...not that I really feel a need to educate you about me but, I have been to Mexico on a number of occasions and I'm not talking Cabo. My wife went with me once into Nuevo Loredo off the Texas border and she was scared to death because I took her into the backstreets. I also lived at 614 West 136th St in Manhattan. I was bussed to a school that was over 95% black. My subway ride took me through Harlem to pick up my fellow students. Most of the rest of the school were Puerto Ricans. I knew what it was like to be the minority. I did 3 terms in Nam but I was shipboard although I did flightdeck duty which was considered quite dangerous. I spent time in an orphanage. St Josephs orphanage in Green Bay, WI. I dropped out of highschool to get out of NYC but I got my GED in the service and got some college after my service. I know I am not a college professor but, who is and, more importantly, who cares? I know there is nothing really noteworthy about my background but I do have one and I have a few life experiences that many don't have. I am no stranger to the ghetto or orphanages or Mexico or a lot of other things.

Last edited:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
NF, I agree about taking care of the children 100%. Thing is, how to go about it without rewarding the parent/s at the same time? They don't have orphanages anymore and putting them in group homes costs a fortune and is not fair to the kids.
terms like "daddy baby", "baby daddy", "baby momma" etc. are relatively new terms used to try to legitimize the illegitimate. The act like "baby daddy" is a title like uncle, aunt, mother etc. btw, whites also use the terms.

First, I agree, it's not about race. Second, i agree, it's a big problem. However, the term you use refers to those on welfare having babies for the purpose of increasing their welfare check. That, according to sociologist is not the case. While some can be blamed on careless birth control, much of it lays at the feet of emotional abandonment. Most of us, who grew up in a stable environment had the unconditional love from a parent that we needed. More or less. Life for us isn't an endless search for that needed human element missing from our development. Not so for those living in the ghettos where an entirely different social structure is in place. A mean place where dad is a no show and mom is in her own never ending cycle of looking for unconditional love. A place where true unconditional love is in short supply. Not to mention men.

Young woman in this situation have found a way to solve their problem. Nothing on this planet gives unconditional love like a baby. Poof!! problem solved! They go from unloved to loved unconditionally. The unintended consequence of this is there is no means to care for the children born to this situation. So we, those who can, are asked to ante up. And, because we haven't come up with a solution, the cycle repeats.

Truth is, i don't like it anymore than you do. But until someone comes up with an answer better than just cut'em off, I'm still diggin' deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread