Fools "Gold" (14KT Brass!)

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Fool's "Gold" (14KT Brass!)

I dug this bracelet a few years ago and when I felt its heft then I cleaned it with my fingers and saw 14KT I got excited. But at the same time something bothered me as I've never found a buried gold object that was encrusted with dirt and when cleaned still did not look like gold. It was dull gold color. At home I inspected it closely and found another 14KT mark at the clasp. I was almost convinced it WAS gold with that nagging feeling.

The next stop, of course, was a jeweler that could give it a gold test. The result was that it was not gold. Disappointed I put it away. Now, about 10 years later I dug it out and today took it to a jeweler who gave it a gold test. No change. It must be brass.

It weighs 1.2 ounces and the links are really smooth showing that whoever made it was a class artist. There is no inscription.

I found this in a NYC park in an area where I found WWII Military items and while possibly not connected I'm guessing that it belonged to a soldier who must have bought it while it was still freshly goldplated thinking it was the real thing, laid down on the grass and lost it in the heavy non-military action!

Of course, it could have been lost by a civilian.

A 1.2 ounce brass paperweight!

Attachments

• Brass Bracelet 1.JPG
    Brass Bracelet 1.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 228
  • Brass Bracelet 2.JPG
    Brass Bracelet 2.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Brass Bracelet 3.JPG
    Brass Bracelet 3.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 158

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Re: Fool's "Gold" (14KT Brass!)

I think it happens to all of us. I found an 18" Figaro chain at the beach...stamped 14K also.
Nope!!!! :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread